1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology

First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last
  1. Blackberry Jack
    Thanks! Is the bass still somewhat slow? I've read some asian review(google translated it, lol), where the reviewer claims that Rai's bass is "choking" on fast rhytmic songs(like metal), and therefore this iem plays better the 'calm' music genres.

2. jmills8
    Soes "FAST" bass means less bass more treble and "slow" bass means bass stays present ? Ive been living in Hong Kong and 99% of the customers ar audio shops and audio meetings hate bass.

3. Blackberry Jack
    Well no, he actually complains that the bass 'disappears' on fast songs, i.e. doesnt give enough punch and body. On slow songs its okay.

4. jmills8
    And his source/gear ? From my two demos, its has good bass. Not TH900 bass but good dynanic Driver iem bass. Clean present bass. My source was Cayin N8 and Cowon dap with Mass Kobo amp.

5. Blackberry Jack
    It wasnt mentioned in the review.
    I hope it is good. I see that you used to have Solaris either, do you think its a better IEM overall?

6. jmills8
    Yep

Blackberry Jack likes this.
  7. Giraku
    No I don't have the "slow" bass problem any more. I believe that was just a new unit symptom. Initially, the bass was a bit slow and bloated affecting the mid range. But now the bass is nice and tight while maintaining proper amount of "richness". Yesterday, I listened to some Dream Theater tracks and found them sounding great with RAI Penta (SP1000M Gold -> Leonidas II -> RAI Penta). Based on my experience, I suggest giving some time to the dynamic driver for its optimal performance.

8. ag18
    Funny, I did the same thing yesterday. Dream Theater's new album sounds great off of 96k/24bit HiRes files on Mojo/Poly > stock cable > RAI Penta.

Deftone likes this.
  9. Giraku
    Yeah, I also got the new album, which sounds really great. Listening to the new album triggered me to go through my favorite songs from my old DT albums.

10. Deftone
    Does the hi res version have more dynamic range?

Edit; just found out CD and Hires from HDTracks are compressed versions only Blu-ray stereo and LP has high dynamic range.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  11. Giraku
    What do you mean? 96/24 files from HDTracks are not real high res?

12. Deftone
    Sometimes they are upsampled not always true high res, it should say in the notes but what I mean the actual dynamic range is compressed so it’s no better than the cd. The Blu-ray audio is far better for sound quality which scored DR11 where all other versions are DR6 even the “high res” downloads.

If you want the best sounding version of this record you need to get the blu ray from the special edition and rip the LPCM stereo 24/96 track, there is also a 5.1 if your interested.

I’ll leave it at that now don’t want to go off topic.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    Giraku likes this.
  13. jmills8
    It is if you compare it correctly.

14. Giraku
    Interesting...
    I will look into this. Thank you.

15. Ricky64
    I ordered last weekend. Received shipping notice today, so delay at his point is pretty short.

singingbee likes this.
First

Back
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Next

Last