RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,021 of 1,184
It is quite a while since I compared the Penta to the Shure 846 (and to a lot of other IEMs). I do not remember any more the details, but the Shure went quickly to the sorted out heap - it did not have soundstage compared to the Penta.

How do these custom eartips work? Will they keep the Pentas more out of your ears than ordinary tips?
I don't know yet, will see when I get them

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,022 of 1,184
It is quite a while since I compared the Penta to the Shure 846 (and to a lot of other IEMs). I do not remember any more the details, but the Shure went quickly to the sorted out heap - it did not have soundstage compared to the Penta.

How do these custom eartips work? Will they keep the Pentas more out of your ears than ordinary tips?
In my case, yes. The custom tips I bought from Custom Arts would hold the IEMs out of my ear. If I could get them to fit. My ear canal is too narrow and I can't get them properly inserted. I am glad I found that out with a pair of custom tips rather than a pair of custom IEMs.

[edit] To Custom Art's credit, they warned me this might happen once they got my impressions. I told them I wanted the custom tips anyway as this was an experiment to see if I'd thing custom IEMs would be worth the investment. The jury is actually still out since the tips are squishy silicone and IEM shells would be acrylic. I might be able to get the more rigid shells properly inserted with that "twist and push" motion. If I decide to try, I'll have to find an IEM company willing to make 1/2 a shell for me as a trial before I go forward installing the expensive bits.

Also glad the Rai Penta shells fit my outer ears so well. Spin Fit 240 provide an excellent seal for me.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #1,023 of 1,184
So first impressions with the Rai Penta (with stock eartips)
I also csn only compare them to the Shure Se846 and have no further experience with audiophile IEMs.

The Meze have a way bigger soundstage. The Shure are directly "in your face" while the Meze has more distance and paints a much bigger and more accurate picture.
The tonal Balance is outstanding just like with the Empyrean you can just sink into the music without any fatigue.
Bass is not lacking but also doesn't reach Empyrean or Shure Se846 level.
Everything is very balanced without emphasis on certain parts of the spectrum (unlike the Shure which emphasize Bass and mids)

So far definitely a keeper.
Test with Norne Silvergarde S4 will come later

May 3, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #1,024 of 1,184
Norne Silvergarde gives more weight to the sound, everything is a little thicker and Bass has slightly more authority.
Detail retrieval also increased a bit.

The stock silver plated copper cable is actually pretty good though and the difference to the Norne is way less than it was with the Shure Se846.

So good Job Meze in that regard

May 3, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,025 of 1,184
So first impressions with the Rai Penta (with stock eartips)
I also csn only compare them to the Shure Se846 and have no further experience with audiophile IEMs.

The Meze have a way bigger soundstage. The Shure are directly "in your face" while the Meze has more distance and paints a much bigger and more accurate picture.
The tonal Balance is outstanding just like with the Empyrean you can just sink into the music without any fatigue.
Bass is not lacking but also doesn't reach Empyrean or Shure Se846 level.
Everything is very balanced without emphasis on certain parts of the spectrum (unlike the Shure which emphasize Bass and mids)

So far definitely a keeper.
Test with Norne Silvergarde S4 will come later
What are you driving them with?

I do not remember if the bass went deeper on the 846. I know my ears were tuned to the LCD-3, and bass was important to me. It can be on the Kann Cube I used, or maybe you can expect the bass to become deeper with time.
I was not a big burn-in believer, but experience showed some interesting things in this regard.
It would be nice to hear it again with the R8.

I noticed it with the Solitaire P that when the music was put in 3D space the bass became less obvious or intrusive, or whatever word fits here the best. Or maybe it is really on the balance.

May 3, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,026 of 1,184
What are you driving them with?

I do not remember if the bass went deeper on the 846. I know my ears were tuned to the LCD-3, and bass was important to me. It can be on the Kann Cube I used, or maybe you can expect the bass to become deeper with time.
I was not a big burn-in believer, but experience showed some interesting things in this regard.
It would be nice to hear it again with the R8.

I noticed it with the Solitaire P that when the music was put in 3D space the bass became less obvious or intrusive, or whatever word fits here the best. Or maybe it is really on the balance.
I'm not sure if it goes deeper, but the Shure has definitely more quantity.

I drive them with a Shure SHA 900, a rather outdated DAC unit, but does it's job.

Tonight I might test them with my Desktop System. Never did that before, because for that use case I have my over ears.
However I'm curious in what that can do to the Rai Penta.

Jul 6, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #1,028 of 1,184
Just another one of those... It's so sad this IEM doesn't get more attention responses. I've had mine for about 3 months now and absolutely love them. The fit is incredibly comfortable and I love everything about how it sounds- the soundstage, the bass, the detail... It's all there.
I can't really compare it to recent other IEMs, but I totally agree that it is amazing.

Have them for 2 months now and can totally recommend them

Jul 6, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,029 of 1,184
846 has smaller, narrower, closed in staging, albeit that remarkable sub bass.
Pentas create a deeper, larger venue (sound field), better layering, separation and ofc fantastic holographic imaging.
This set is for endurance level, fatigue free listening sessions...

Jul 7, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #1,030 of 1,184
The Rai Penta is truly astounding.
Timbre and tonality are as close to reality as it gets.
Now that I have 31° Celsius in my room I use them as my high end Empyrean substitute.
I have been evaluating the FiiO M11 Plus with the Penta and I am having thrilling moments.

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,031 of 1,184
The Rai Penta is truly astounding.
Timbre and tonality are as close to reality as it gets.
Now that I have 31° Celsius in my room I use them as my high end Empyrean substitute.
I have been evaluating the FiiO M11 Plus with the Penta and I am having thrilling moments.
That begs the question for me (not wanting to read through sixty-nine pages of previous posts): what DAP do you use with your Rai Pentas?

For me it's the Questyle QP2r. Originally I used it with an A&K AK70 Mk II, but after trying the Questyle I found more control and impact at the low end, and more subtlety in dynamics throughout the frequency range. The short version is the A&K made my Rai Pentas sound like their reputation: a little dull and sleepy but the Questyle made them come alive. I'm sure most people would listen to both DAPs and say, "huh?", but we know the difference.

Jul 8, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #1,032 of 1,184
That begs the question for me (not wanting to read through sixty-nine pages of previous posts): what DAP do you use with your Rai Pentas?

For me it's the Questyle QP2r. Originally I used it with an A&K AK70 Mk II, but after trying the Questyle I found more control and impact at the low end, and more subtlety in dynamics throughout the frequency range. The short version is the A&K made my Rai Pentas sound like their reputation: a little dull and sleepy but the Questyle made them come alive. I'm sure most people would listen to both DAPs and say, "huh?", but we know the difference.
As I mentioned in my post , right now I am using the FiiO M11 Plus , a great pairing.
iBasso DX300 is equally delicious 😋

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,033 of 1,184
As I mentioned in my post , right now I am using the FiiO M11 Plus , a great pairing.
iBasso DX300 is equally delicious 😋
A short version of what you like best about each with the Rai Penta? What makes the M11 and DX300 different from other DAPs you've used?

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,034 of 1,184
Loving my Rai Penta. Only rocking an iphone 11 max / apple dongle setup for on the go, but at home it's a different story.
Soekris R2R DAC -> Gustard P26 preamp -> THX 789 via 3.5mm jack

Rolling the opamps in the preamp to a warmer pair makes the Rai Penta sound more full and lush in the midrange; with a more analytical setup the sound signature reminds me of the Focal Elex; strong bass (Rai Penta is a bit stronger in the bass than Elex) detailed top-end and pulled back lower midrange.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #1,035 of 1,184
A short version of what you like best about each with the Rai Penta? What makes the M11 and DX300 different from other DAPs you've used?
Musical , engaging , lifelike timbre , texture , harmonics , notes weight , decay , space , echo , reverb , lack of digital artifacts , smooth and controlled etc etc.
Especially the DX300 in the NOS mode is very analogue sounding.
This players convert digital signals to real music rather than mere sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back