RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #991 of 1,184
I'm getting rid of all my IEMs including the Pentas due to medical issues and moving to full-size headphones; does anyone have the Pentas and have experience with a similar sounding full-size headphone? Want to get something similar to them and don't have the $$ to get the Empyreans
I cannot give you an exhaustive list of headphones to try. But, for what it's worth, I've had my HiFiMAN HE-500 for several years and they've fended off all comers. Most recently, ZMF Atticus and Auteur. I currently power them from a Schiit Bifrost I MB and Mjolnir I. The Mjolnir has plenty of power to drive the planars. The Bifrost was a really good addition to my home system: it drives my Mjolnir much better than the USB out of my DAPs. Much more authority, even at nap-taking volume.

I personally didn't like the HD-800 in the brief time I was able to listen to a pair. I thought the bass too light. Actually, I thought the sound overall too light: wide and airy for sure, but to me uninvolving. That said, I loved my HD-580 for fifteen years before they fell apart. You could also get the Drop HD-6xx as a way to dip your toe in the full-size pond with a widely praised reference for not much money.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #992 of 1,184
I'm getting rid of all my IEMs including the Pentas due to medical issues and moving to full-size headphones; does anyone have the Pentas and have experience with a similar sounding full-size headphone? Want to get something similar to them and don't have the $$ to get the Empyreans
Meze 99 Classics sounds great for the price.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #993 of 1,184
It's a shame these buds didn't get a bigger following. They are selling for nothing on the secondary market compared to their price point. Only reason I am thinking of selling mine is since I went with True Wireless buds I just don't use wired IEM's anymore, but they sound amazing.

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #995 of 1,184
Or better yet, least 4 me :grin:

TRN BT20S PRO​

Bluetooth 5.0 Wireless Ear Hook APTX\AAC​

Course another option I like cause I don't fully trust wireless at the ear just yet :rolling_eyes:

Bal Sol Deluxe.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #997 of 1,184
It's a shame these buds didn't get a bigger following. They are selling for nothing on the secondary market compared to their price point. Only reason I am thinking of selling mine is since I went with True Wireless buds I just don't use wired IEM's anymore, but they sound amazing.

Completely agree. I use mine every day at my desk. They have a beautiful tone and just make everything enjoyable to listen to. Fit great, too.

Mar 25, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #998 of 1,184
OK, to expand on @Bacon_N_Cheese's earlier post, does anyone have both the Rai Penta and the Empyrean? Would you post your thoughts about the two? I am super curious about the Empyreans.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #999 of 1,184
OK, to expand on @Bacon_N_Cheese's earlier post, does anyone have both the Rai Penta and the Empyrean? Would you post your thoughts about the two? I am super curious about the Empyreans.
I have the Empyrean and might get the Rai Penta.
However from what I've read they do not share the same Sound signature

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,000 of 1,184
I have the Empyrean and might get the Rai Penta.
However from what I've read they do not share the same Sound signature
That's exactly what I'd like to hear about. I hope you decide to get a pair and post here.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #1,001 of 1,184
I have both , they sound quite close and they pose the Meze house sound.
Of course there are differences here and there and I must find a little spare time to A/B them.
But if you like the Empyrean then you are definitely going to like the Penta.
As a matter of fact it is my favorite iem that I use when Greek summer doesn't allow for a comfortable Empyrean experience.

Mar 26, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #1,002 of 1,184
I have both , they sound quite close and they pose the Meze house sound.
Of course there are differences here and there and I must find a little spare time to A/B them.
But if you like the Empyrean then you are definitely going to like the Penta.
As a matter of fact it is my favorite iem that I use when Greek summer doesn't allow for a comfortable Empyrean experience.
Guess I ahould go ahead and buy them in that case, my dealer made me a great offer

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,004 of 1,184
If you have the $$$, get the Empyreans. It is super comfortable, and tuned for long fatigless listening. Just expect a bit more of everything. More bass, maybe a bit more of mids as well.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #1,005 of 1,184
If you have the $$$, get the Empyreans. It is super comfortable, and tuned for long fatigless listening. Just expect a bit more of everything. More bass, maybe a bit more of mids as well.
They are very tempting, especially given how much I like the Pentas and the Solos. I guess I should start saving. I do have other things on my list right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back