Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 24, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,681 of 6,675
When in 990, the sound should begin to stutter easier when you walk away some meters than in adaptive. On the other hand, if BT signal is good, adaptive should work at 990 too if I'm not wrong.
Makes sense. I never stray far.

May 24, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #4,682 of 6,675
@stuck limo, that's because Samsung uses "Samsung HD" instead even though IDK what device actually uses it lol. I just looked at my developer options again and Samsung HD is gone now...I think Samsung HD was going to be something they tried but they are doing away with it bc of negative feedback and will hopefully bring AptX-HD in an update

My Samsung S7 still has the Samsung HD option, but I have zero idea which devices actually use it. It'd be nice if Samsung eventually is forced/chooses to implement AptX-HD.

May 24, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #4,683 of 6,675
My Samsung S7 still has the Samsung HD option, but I have zero idea which devices actually use it. It'd be nice if Samsung eventually is forced/chooses to implement AptX-HD.

I have the S7 as well. It has Samsung HD? Cool! What is that lol?

I personally am completely happy with LDAC, and don't find it drains my battery that fast, so I can happily survive with it (and without APTX-HD).

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #4,684 of 6,675
It has Samsung HD? Cool! What is that lol?.

Something Samsung played around and probably planned as a competing alternative to aptX and LDAC, but just like Sony LDAC on its early days, it only works on very selected Samsung gears and now it seems Samsung have been abandoned the whole thing.

May 25, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #4,685 of 6,675
I have the S7 as well. It has Samsung HD? Cool! What is that lol?

I personally am completely happy with LDAC, and don't find it drains my battery that fast, so I can happily survive with it (and without APTX-HD).
Nice new avatar there.

May 25, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #4,686 of 6,675
Hello
I have ordered a short 50cm 2.5 mm MMCX balanced cable so I can clip the ES100 to my collar or shirt pocket. This should keep the wire snag to a minimum and have the mic on the SE100 near enough to my mouth for phone calls.
hello ,I am lookig for a similar cable for the Same reason ...could you please send me a link to buy it? ThNKS

May 25, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,687 of 6,675
Nice new avatar there.

Thanks! That's our new golden lab puppy Noah... although I like to call him "The Beast" (he's gaining about a pound per day), or "The Land Shark" (he's stealthy, yet fast and somewhat destructive lol).
20190520_191327_resized.jpg

May 25, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #4,688 of 6,675
May 25, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #4,689 of 6,675
I lost my ES100 with some Etymotic ER4-XR iems with Snugs custom molds.

TWICE! (And it's still lost)

I can't find the nerve to buy them all back again ($$$) but I can't live without the ES100 so I am ordering another one.

May 25, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #4,691 of 6,675
They were great.

I got 2 sets both fine.

May 25, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,694 of 6,675
I auditioned Shanling’s up2 at the Paris Sound Days (think Canjam). It sounded like one of the most interesting upcoming contenders to the ES100. Also Shanling threw down the gauntlet on the up2 thread when they stated they would rather focus on implementing single-ended very well rather than going balanced for the sake of it.

Challenge accepted! Went the ES100.

Well, Radsone wins as far as I’m concerned. The up2 sounds fine. A bit bassier, a bit more V-shaped in general, and it will be slightly less expensive ($70/80). But with my IMR R1 the overall sound was a bit less controlled; the all-plastic unit doesn’t make a better impression than the ES100, nor is it smaller (it’s a rectangle like the ES100, but lengthier and narrower); Shanling's friendly rep told me there would be an app with a few controls “and maybe EQ” - I understand it will be a shadow of what Radsone have managed software-wise; plus it’s single-ended only, I'm not sure of the specs but it won't drive hungry headphones as well.

The most intriguing alternative on the horizon for me remains Aëdle’s Eole. I received their VK-X recently, itself a great alternative to the better wireless headphones out there. It supports aptX HD and LDAC, and goes for clarity, with an impressive top-end but there's plenty right going on across the entire frequency range. Sort of an "audiophile" tuning that you wouldn't expect from wireless hp, but very musical. Completely different from Sony's WH-1000XM3 which sports more of a "consumer" signature, though very accomplished and improved relatively to the early iterations.
I talked to Aëdle's CEO on their booth, he told me they ran into a myriad snags and issues while designing the VK-X (I was actually bringing back my unit which needs servicing!) but they have learnt a lot and are all the more confident the Eole will turn out great.

Cheers guys!

May 25, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #4,695 of 6,675

Users who are viewing this thread

Back