Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 25, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #4,696 of 6,675
The first one is absolutely not safe - it looks like they're trying to turn an unbalanced 3.5 into a balanced 2.5. You'll fry the ES100 and any other balanced piece of equipment you plug it into. The second link looks like the same issue since it doesn't specifically say "balanced". I wouldn't chance it.

You can't go from an unbalanced headphone cable to balanced (2.5 mm in the case of the ES100) with an adapter. It doesn't work that way. You have to get a cable that's wired that way, they are fairly easy to find and come in many different plug types (2-pin, MMCX). You can get adapters to use that with unbalanced 3.5mm plugs on DAPs that are not balanced, I do that all the time. In fact, one of my adapters looks like that right angle plug.

May 25, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #4,697 of 6,675
The first one is absolutely not safe - it looks like they're trying to turn an unbalanced 3.5 into a balanced 2.5. You'll fry the ES100 and any other balanced piece of equipment you plug it into. The second link looks like the same issue since it doesn't specifically say "balanced". I wouldn't chance it.

You can't go from an unbalanced headphone cable to balanced (2.5 mm in the case of the ES100) with an adapter. It doesn't work that way. You have to get a cable that's wired that way, they are fairly easy to find and come in many different plug types (2-pin, MMCX). You can get adapters to use that with unbalanced 3.5mm plugs on DAPs that are not balanced, I do that all the time. In fact, one of my adapters looks like that right angle plug.

If it's like you say, good point. On the first one I assumed that was 3.5 Balanced to 2.5 balanced too. Mine works great on phone and ES100 very well

IMG_20190525_221906.jpg

May 25, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #4,698 of 6,675
It should work fine. I have one of them (but is 2.5 balanced female to 3.5 SE male to use with smartphone).
The es 100 app says its dangerous to use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter it can damage the unit

May 25, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #4,699 of 6,675
The es 100 app says its dangerous to use a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter it can damage the unit

That's because you can not go from unbalanced to balanced, but if 3.5 mm.female is balanced too, there should be no problem.

IMHO best thing to do is asking the shop if it is a bad description or they are selling useless adapter, what would be scary (are there really oem manufacturers doing products that can damage their customers equipment?)

May 25, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #4,700 of 6,675
That's because you can not go from unbalanced to balanced, but if 3.5 mm.female is balanced too, there should be no problem.

IMHO best thing to do is asking the shop if it is a bad description or they are selling useless adapter, what would be scary (are there really oem manufacturers doing products that can damage their customers equipment?)
Wait a minute

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/c5Pa7JVm

Is this 3.5 balanced can i use it whitout problems whit an 2.5 balanced adapter ?

May 25, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #4,701 of 6,675
May 25, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #4,702 of 6,675
May 25, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #4,703 of 6,675

I'm going to ask the seller this question but I doubt they know much, most likely they're just retailers. It'd be so convenient to carry only one balanced 3.5se cable and that adapter and yet to be able to accomodate all other devices.

May 25, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #4,705 of 6,675

But this setup should be fine, right? https://www.meeaudio.com/CMB-BAL-SET

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #4,706 of 6,675
Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #4,707 of 6,675
I am not any electrical expert; And would not use an adapter to go from the Balanced output of a DAP ( DAC/AMP, or any device) to a Single Ended Earphone. Especially when the manufacturer says don't do it.
- However I did once read that it maybe Ok to do that if the adapter wiring only uses ONE of the grounds from the Balanced Output. But that discussion really belongs in another thread not here.

May 25, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #4,708 of 6,675
That Mee cable is OK to go to a 2.5mm balanced output like on the ES100. And the adapter will change it to a 3.5 unbalanced for normal gear. You won't need the 4.4 unless you have something that supports it.

You can go from 2.5 balanced to 3.5 unbalanced with the correct adapter - it bridges the grounds. You can't go the other way, it will fry your equipment.

May 25, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #4,709 of 6,675
None of the pictures on that page show a 3.5 balanced cable. Only 3.5 unbalanced, 2.5 balanced, and 4.4 balanced.

I'm wondering why you are asking about 3.5 balanced in the Radsone ES100 thread. The ES100's balanced output is 2.5mm.
If it is 3.5 balance i could go 2.5 balanced over adapter

May 25, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #4,710 of 6,675
If it is 3.5 balance i could go 2.5 balanced over adapter
I don't understand what you're trying to do. There is almost nothing I know of that has a 3.5mm balanced plug. Not saying there isn't something, but it's not at all common. Balanced is usually 2.5, with some new stuff now with 4.4.

If you're getting a new cable, why not get the right termination for your use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back