Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 13, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #6,151 of 6,675
While I await some better cables, I'm using the stock KZ cable with in-line mic (I know, the in-line mic is useless as the ES100 is prioritized).

I thought I'd check with Radsone if using a 3.5mm cable with in-line mic could upset/damage the ES100 Mk2 at all and got a bit of a confusing response;

"We reckon trying it for a couple of times will not damage ES100 unless you try many times."

What does that mean? I was looking for something a bit more concrete. Any concern over using a cable with in-line mic?
It means don’t try it. It is not harmless, but it won’t bork it immediately. At least that is my interpretation.

I'd like more clarity (and confirmation) as well. This is the first time that I've heard that a cable with an inline mic can potentially damage the ES100. I've had a few ES100's go funky on me, and I use a lot of cables with inline mics. Coincidence?

May 13, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #6,152 of 6,675
I'd like more clarity (and confirmation) as well. This is the first time that I've heard that a cable with an inline mic can potentially damage the ES100. I've had a few ES100's go funky on me, and I use a lot of cables with inline mics. Coincidence?

Strange one isn't it?

I wonder if anyone with audio engineering background might be able to chip in here.

May 14, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #6,153 of 6,675

I’m actually glad I found these replies, because I had no idea. Definitely doesn’t seem to be a one off thing either.

I’d also like an ELI5 type response, because I can’t imagine why an in-line mic would do that.

May 14, 2020 at 12:41 AM Post #6,154 of 6,675
I’m actually glad I found these replies, because I had no idea. Definitely doesn’t seem to be a one off thing either.

I’d also like an ELI5 type response, because I can’t imagine why an in-line mic would do that.

Yes ELI5 would be great.

I might reach out to them again and refer them to this thread to see if they could give the response a little more attention.

May 14, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #6,155 of 6,675
Strange one isn't it?

I wonder if anyone with audio engineering background might be able to chip in here.
I don't have an electronic engineering background, but I would think I have known enough to say that reply makes no sense.

May 16, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #6,156 of 6,675
Yes ELI5 would be great.

I might reach out to them again and refer them to this thread to see if they could give the response a little more attention.

From Radsone:

"Of course, it is 100% safe to use them as the mic on the earphones will not work anyway."

Perhaps they misunderstood my question initially. Looks like in line mic is safe

May 18, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #6,157 of 6,675
Question regarding 'Audio Output' in the ES100 app;

I now have 2.5mm balanced as well as 3.5mm unbalanced cables. ES100 suggests to lock the Audio Output, however I'm wondering what the correct and safest way would be to change output if I'm switching up cables during a listening session?
  1. Do I need to stop the music OR
  2. Do I need to turn the device off OR
  3. Something else?
With either of the above, do I need to leave the ‘AUDIO OUTPUT LOCK’ box checked or unchecked?

May 18, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #6,158 of 6,675

I now have 2.5mm balanced as well as 3.5mm unbalanced cables. ES100 suggests to lock the Audio Output, however I'm wondering what the correct and safest way would be to change output if I'm switching up cables during a listening session?
  3. Something else?
With either of the above, do I need to leave the ‘AUDIO OUTPUT LOCK’ box checked or unchecked?
Its very rare for me to switch to 3.5mm since i use the 2.5mm for my inears, but, when i do it is like this:
Stop audio
Unloock audio output
disconect and connect headphones and see the change of output in the app (i never leave both audio outputs connected)
lock output again

And duno if its ok but i leave my inears connected all the time since i only use 1 pair with the ES100 and are stored in a pelican-like box

May 19, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #6,161 of 6,675

3. Something else?
Its very rare for me to switch to 3.5mm since i use the 2.5mm for my inears, but, when i do it is like this:
Stop audio
Unloock audio output
disconect and connect headphones and see the change of output in the app (i never leave both audio outputs connected)
lock output again

And duno if its ok but i leave my inears connected all the time since i only use 1 pair with the ES100 and are stored in a pelican-like box
i believe pause is fine. does not take long to turn off if you wanna be extra safe but i'm quite sure pause is fine.
I just leave it unlocked and pause the music when I switch between 2.5mm and 3.5mm. I've been using an ES100 for almost 2 years without a problem.

Email from Radsone:

"Stopping music is safe enough to change the output.

AUDIO OUTPUT LOCK will not damage the unit no matter it is checked or not."

The last sentence is a bit confusing since they recommend to keep auto-lock on. Anyway sounds like stopping music is safe enough :thumbsup:

May 19, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #6,162 of 6,675
To my understanding the most important rule is DO NOT PULL OUT THE OUTPUT WHEN MUSIC IS PLAYING! The lock feature is a fail safe if the output is accidentally pulled off while music is playing. So it's very safe to change output if you stop or pause the music. And also do not use both outputs at the same time.

May 19, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #6,163 of 6,675
To my understanding the most important rule is DO NOT PULL OUT THE OUTPUT WHEN MUSIC IS PLAYING! The lock feature is a fail safe if the output is accidentally pulled off while music is playing. So it's very safe to change output if you stop or pause the music. And also do not use both outputs at the same time.
This is correct.
On another note, I unboxed the BTR5 today for my birthday and after struggling to get the iOS app to work properly (known problem) it was as clear as night and day that it isn’t a patch on the ES100, despite the extra power I thought might bring out the best in my Tin HiFi P1s
Less imaging, less extension at the top and bottom end, less soundstage and only a minor improvement in volume. Back it goes and I’m still loving the ES100
Well done @radsone !

May 20, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #6,164 of 6,675

For my understanding, how does the Output Lock act as a failsafe for when the cable is pulled out accidentally during playback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back