Radsone EarStudio ES100
May 11, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #6,136 of 6,673
Do you guys know how I should configure these settings so it's as close to the original source as possible? I don't want the sound to change beyond how it sounded when I just ran my IEM's from my iPhone, so which of these settings will have the least effect on the sound?

es100 stuff.png
Try these settings, you won't believe how ES100 sounds :)
Stock settings are just horrible.

Screenshot_20200128-122206.png Screenshot_20200128-122147.png
If you want to minimise processing/colouration, set it up like this, but use the "short delay slow roll-off" filter - whether that's exactly how your phone's DAC was processing audio is anyone's guess though - DCT is Earstudio proprietary tech so won't be in your phone, HD Jitter cleaner might have its equivalent in your phone, but that's also a guess. I also have a vague memory from somewhere that some DACs oversample by default and can't have that setting altered.
Thanks @subwoof3r - very useful post.

May 11, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #6,137 of 6,673
Do you guys know how I should configure these settings so it's as close to the original source as possible? I don't want the sound to change beyond how it sounded when I just ran my IEM's from my iPhone, so which of these settings will have the least effect on the sound?

Attachments

• IMG_F6EC5E126A67-1.JPG
    IMG_F6EC5E126A67-1.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
May 11, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #6,138 of 6,673
So I did some (pointless) measurements.... I wanted to know if there was a power usage difference between oversampling x1 and x4. So I charged the es100 until it said "charge complete" and then I connected it to the USB port on my bench power supply... then I played a 150hz sine wave for an unchanging output amplitude
IEM: Sony XBA N3 @ -20.0 dB (unbalanced)
Codec: aptX
Results:
Connected, powered on, but no audio playing (output off)= ~15mA average
x1 oversampling= 33mA average
x4 oversampling= 35.5mA average
Also, there was no difference in current usage between aptX and LDAC.
So with ideal circumstances (no changing amplitude in output, same configuration i had) using x4 instead of x1 would cost 45 minutes of battery life. I use x4 :)
should i use oversampling? or does it realistically have no audible effect? I can't tell. I know that when the source audio has a higher sample rate to begin with, it does sound better, but you can't really get more sound resolution of audio just by oversampling it, can you? What's the effect, is it worth it?

May 12, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #6,139 of 6,673
Please don't get mad at me with this question...

I was told by some people (yes more than one!) that the ES100 can receive bluetooth signal and transport to another dac/amp device using usb audio out.

is that true? I know it has been asked or discussed serveral times, but it just makes me confused. And I myself have been searching info on this, but no clues...

So, I want some sort of comfirmation from people in this thread.

As stated before it doesn't work, but you could use it as a line out into a separate amp using a 3.5 to RCAs.

May 12, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #6,140 of 6,673
To anyone that's going to take advantage of this great deal, be sure to sign up for the newsletter for the $3 coupon, bringing the ES100 MK1 to $66.99 :)
Thanks @Slater and @radsone I placed an order on last Friday with additional $3 discount from subscription coupon and received my MK1 tonight.
I like it very much. I might postpone my plan to have my first DAP as I am quite content with sound quality of MK1.

Cheers

May 12, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #6,141 of 6,673
Thanks @Slater and @radsone I placed an order on last Friday with additional $3 discount from subscription coupon and received my MK1 tonight.
I like it very much. I might postpone my plan to have my first DAP as I am quite content with sound quality of MK1.

Cheers
I see no reason for a DAP if you have the ES100 unless you need to decode hires source material (DSD, MQA, etc). If you're using Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube Music or the non hires versions of Amazon Music and Tidal the ES100 has you covered.

May 12, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #6,142 of 6,673
I like it very much. I might permanently postpone my plan to have my first DAP as I am quite content with sound quality of MK1.

Fixed that for you! :wink: My phone (which I always have with me) + 400GB of tunes + Tidal streaming + awesome sounding bluetooth receivers like the ES100 makes it hard for me to come up with a good reason to buy another DAP.

But then again, who needs a good reason lol. It is nice to have good DAP (for various reasons). But it's also nice to be off of the "I need a new DAP every year" hampster wheel. Now it's "I need a new bluetooth receiver every year LOL.

May 12, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #6,143 of 6,673

Cheers

Make sure you install the app, which will update the firmware as well as provide numerous settings and tweaks.

May 12, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #6,144 of 6,673
Fixed that for you! :wink:
Hahaha thanks man :beerchug:

Make sure you install the app, which will update the firmware as well as provide numerous settings and tweaks.
Yes I did. Playing on it right now actually, so far I like the setting posted by someone here. Thanks man.

May 12, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #6,145 of 6,673
Yes I did. Playing on it right now actually, so far I like the setting posted by someone here. Thanks man.

Which setting is that can I ask?

May 12, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #6,146 of 6,673
May 12, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #6,147 of 6,673
Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #6,148 of 6,673
While I await some better cables, I'm using the stock KZ cable with in-line mic (I know, the in-line mic is useless as the ES100 is prioritized).

I thought I'd check with Radsone if using a 3.5mm cable with in-line mic could upset/damage the ES100 Mk2 at all and got a bit of a confusing response;

"We reckon trying it for a couple of times will not damage ES100 unless you try many times."

What does that mean? I was looking for something a bit more concrete. Any concern over using a cable with in-line mic?

May 13, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #6,149 of 6,673
While I await some better cables, I'm using the stock KZ cable with in-line mic (I know, the in-line mic is useless as the ES100 is prioritized).

I thought I'd check with Radsone if using a 3.5mm cable with in-line mic could upset/damage the ES100 Mk2 at all and got a bit of a confusing response;

"We reckon trying it for a couple of times will not damage ES100 unless you try many times."

What does that mean? I was looking for something a bit more concrete. Any concern over using a cable with in-line mic?
It means don’t try it. It is not harmless, but it won’t bork it immediately. At least that is my interpretation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back