Radsone EarStudio ES100
Nov 19, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #5,701 of 6,675
First I got the ES100 and had to replace all my standard cables with 2.5mm balanced. Now with the HiBy R5, I'm gradually (OK, maybe not so gradually) switching over to 4.4mm and leaving an adapter plugged into my ES100. I think these companies are secretly working with the cable manufacturers to drain my wallet.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #5,702 of 6,675
Just connected my ES100 to PC via USB for the first time.. sounds good, but I discovered a problem:

PC -> usb-cable -> ES100 -> 3.5 mm -> K712 Pro, and there's really audible popping / crackling sound (that "follows the rhythm of the song" or something like that). Bass heavy drum'n'base, first notes of Brothers in Arms and everything in between, at pretty low volume.

But when I change headphones to Sennheiser HD598s (still using 3.5 mm) the popping is gone, I get crystal clear sound. Or when I connect ES100 to PC via Bluetooth (and use K712s), no problem.

What might cause the disturbance with K712s, and how to get rid of it?

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #5,703 of 6,675
Just connected my ES100 to PC via USB for the first time.. sounds good, but I discovered a problem:

PC -> usb-cable -> ES100 -> 3.5 mm -> K712 Pro, and there's really audible popping / crackling sound (that "follows the rhythm of the song" or something like that). Bass heavy drum'n'base, first notes of Brothers in Arms and everything in between, at pretty low volume.

But when I change headphones to Sennheiser HD598s (still using 3.5 mm) the popping is gone, I get crystal clear sound. Or when I connect ES100 to PC via Bluetooth (and use K712s), no problem.

I was going to say clipping, but you said at "pretty low volume" so I doubt that's it. I've only used mine over Bluetooth with my Pixel 3a and my Q701 and everything works flawlessly with this setup.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #5,704 of 6,675

This happens to my ES100 when connected to my Windows 10 laptop, and so far it hasn't mattered what headphones I use. I have Sennheiser HD 58Xs (connected to 3.5mm), HD 598 CSs (connected to 3.5mm) and Final Audio E5000 iems (connected to 2.5mm). It happens to all three randomly and the only way I have been able to get it to stop is to repeatedly reconnect the ES100. However, it always comes back at some point (but only after reconnecting, not during the same "session").

I've tried a number of troubleshooting steps, but I haven't taken notes. At some point I'll try to document my journey and perhaps those of us having this issue can compare notes.

I'm VERY frustrated.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #5,705 of 6,675
First I got the ES100 and had to replace all my standard cables with 2.5mm balanced. Now with the HiBy R5, I'm gradually (OK, maybe not so gradually) switching over to 4.4mm and leaving an adapter plugged into my ES100. I think these companies are secretly working with the cable manufacturers to drain my wallet.
Keeping my cables 2.5mm. For my R6 Pro I have an L-shaped 4.4mm adapter which makes for a more pocketable solution.

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #5,706 of 6,675
This happens to my ES100 when connected to my Windows 10 laptop, and so far it hasn't mattered what headphones I use. I have Sennheiser HD 58Xs (connected to 3.5mm), HD 598 CSs (connected to 3.5mm) and Final Audio E5000 iems (connected to 2.5mm). It happens to all three randomly and the only way I have been able to get it to stop is to repeatedly reconnect the ES100. However, it always comes back at some point (but only after reconnecting, not during the same "session").

I've tried a number of troubleshooting steps, but I haven't taken notes. At some point I'll try to document my journey and perhaps those of us having this issue can compare notes.

I'm VERY frustrated.
I had this issue as well, only when connected via USB to a PC. I solved it by disabling the USB DAC Jitter Cleaner. You access the setting by touching the input description icon on the homepage of the app.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #5,707 of 6,675
Not related to the PC issue but I used to get Bluetooth stuttering with my Oneplus 3T and ES100 which would only go away after resetting my Bluetooth. This was a bit of a nuisance as I am sure you can imagine. Now I have a Oneplus 7T it hasn't happened once, I guess my phone was the issue all along...

Very happy it has stopped, everything overall sounds a bit clearer.

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #5,708 of 6,675
Is the MK2 much different than the standard model everyone loves? I am thinking about getting an ES100 but don’t want to buy the wrong one if I do.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #5,711 of 6,675
I really want to try one of these. I have a hearing impairment, about 35% overall loss with greater loss at specific frequencies. Most of them fall in the midrange and human speech frequencies. I’m hoping that this device can help to bump this specific frequencies up so I don’t have to have the volume at such a high level to hear it. I emailed radsone asking if they had a demo unit I could try but got no response. They probably thought I was just a weirdo trying to get free stuff, lol. Money is hard to come by so I don’t want to have to spend a bunch of it won’t make any difference in what I hear. For reference I am using a iPhone XR Bluetooth to a mpow soundbot feeding a topping nx3s playing through akg k240s.
I guess I’m asking, would this be a worthwhile investment? Or will I not notice much of a difference from what I currently use.
Thanks!

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #5,712 of 6,675
I really want to try one of these. I have a hearing impairment, about 35% overall loss with greater loss at specific frequencies. Most of them fall in the midrange and human speech frequencies. I’m hoping that this device can help to bump this specific frequencies up so I don’t have to have the volume at such a high level to hear it. I emailed radsone asking if they had a demo unit I could try but got no response. They probably thought I was just a weirdo trying to get free stuff, lol. Money is hard to come by so I don’t want to have to spend a bunch of it won’t make any difference in what I hear. For reference I am using a iPhone XR Bluetooth to a mpow soundbot feeding a topping nx3s playing through akg k240s.
I guess I’m asking, would this be a worthwhile investment? Or will I not notice much of a difference from what I currently use.
Thanks!

The EQ works very well, but it's not a parametric EQ, so it only works at preset frequencies. (31.5, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k). At each of those frequencies, you can go up or down by 12db (max diff of 24db between your highest and lowest setting). You can probably try various similar settings in a software equalizzer on your computer (like EqualizerAPO or in an app like Foobar2000) to get an idea of whether you can achieve what you need within these constraints.

If you need to be able to target frequencies much more specifically, you might want to hold off until the Qudelix 5k has been reviewed. That unit should be similar to the E100, but with a parametric EQ. Or, if you can deal with a wired solution and no iOS app, you might take a look at the offerings from Minidsp. (https://www.minidsp.com/products/dsp-headphone-amp)

Nov 25, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #5,715 of 6,675
Would this make a noticeable difference, compared to the provided dongle from Apple when listening on an iPhone X (iTunes purchases, Spotify premium sources)? My IEM is A&K Billie Jean. Thanks!
Yes and get a 2.5 balanced cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back