Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 24, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #5,343 of 6,675
Just ordered this guy along with a lightning to micro-USB cable and a 2.5mm balanced cable for my Sony headphones. Anyone rock this particular combo, and care to share some thoughts? I also want to use in my car (which doesn’t have Bluetooth) with my iPhone. Thanks!

Sep 24, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #5,345 of 6,675
Just ordered this guy along with a lightning to micro-USB cable and a 2.5mm balanced cable for my Sony headphones. Anyone rock this particular combo, and care to share some thoughts? I also want to use in my car (which doesn’t have Bluetooth) with my iPhone. Thanks!

Hmmm, do those usb micro to lightning cables actually work for data? With no “this accessory is not supported” BS? I always thought you had to use the Apple camera connection adapter (or whatever it’s called) to get proper USB connectivity.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #5,346 of 6,675
I'm running my ES100 with Sennheiser HD25, 70ohm. Just upgraded to balanced and i gotta say; WOW.

But what would happen if i go balanced 2x voltage? I get a warning saying its only used for headphones with 300ohm or more. Can i blow something up? Dont want to risk anything but my finger is itching to press the button.... :D
Any recommendation for a balanced cable to pair my HD25's with theES100. Looking in the $100 price range or less.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #5,347 of 6,675
Make the es100-2 with multibit 1704 please :D

CCFA7CDA-E569-4226-BB12-C5EADB39CEE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #5,348 of 6,675
So I have a question, and I’m hoping for a non-biased answer.

A friend is planning on getting the FiiO BTR5, and I think he’d be happy with the ES100 (only because that’s what I have experience with).

Other than the ES100’s app (which I already told him about), are there any clear advantages of the BTR5 over the ES100? Or some glaring shortcomings with either product?

He said he prefers the sound of the Sabre DAC chips, which is why he’s leaning towards the BTR5.

Any input would be appreciated!

Sep 24, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #5,349 of 6,675
I know it would make the unit thicker, but I'd like to see a switch to 4.4 balanced. I think it would make the jack more durable, plus the unit would already be thicker if they switch to USB-C. That, and move the balanced jack away from the buttons -- that bugs me every time I use it.

Sep 24, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #5,350 of 6,675

A friend is planning on getting the FiiO BTR5, and I think he’d be happy with the ES100 (only because that’s what I have experience with).

Other than the ES100’s app (which I already told him about), are there any clear advantages of the BTR5 over the ES100? Or some glaring shortcomings with either product?

He said he prefers the sound of the Sabre DAC chips, which is why he’s leaning towards the BTR5.

IMO there was 2 big drawbacks of fiio btr3, basicly that's why I sold it in favour of ES100.

1. Noticeable less bass impact on btr3 than ES100 even though LDAC. Now they might have improved the chips on btr5, I didn't test its performance so I cannot really tell.

2. BT range on btr3 was dreadful. Even with phone in my pocket and btr3 on my shirt belt or even right next to the phone in the pocket I would get cutouts. God forbid if I separated them with my body :frowning2: very, very bad. I'm not talking about occasional stutters, I'm talking about stutters and cutouts every couple of seconds. I could get uninterrupted signal only if I placed both phone and btr3 on the table with clear line of sight. On ES100 I might get occasional stutter but very rarely. While on ifi xdsd literally never, ifi have implemented stellar BT performance into xdsd, its realy second to none.

Knowing what I know now I would have never bought btr3 then, with its aluminum/metal body. It's just awful for BT connection.

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #5,352 of 6,675

Not to be a broken record, but the ES100 can't do hi-res through USB, which means it can't do hi-res. The BTR5 can.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #5,353 of 6,675
Would using this in my car be beneficial vs just plugging in my phone with an aux cord? The increased power from the es100 should mean i dont have to increase my stereo's volume as loud, which lowers the noise floor correct? This benefit should outweigh any quality decreaze from using bluetooth over the aux i would guess

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #5,354 of 6,675
Not to be a broken record, but the ES100 can't do hi-res through USB, which means it can't do hi-res. The BTR5 can.
It cant do hi res through usb, meaning it cant do high res through bluetooth either? What do you define as high res? A 16 bit flac? Or are you talking about 24/96 etc high res?

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #5,355 of 6,675
It cant do hi res through usb, meaning it cant do high res through bluetooth either? What do you define as high res? A 16 bit flac? Or are you talking about 24/96 etc high res?

The USB DAC function is limited to just 16-bit/48Khz. Bluetooth itself goes up to 24bit/96Khz when using LDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back