Radsone EarStudio ES100
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #5,224 of 6,675
i read something about iphone missing APTXHD and LDAC?

aptX is a Qualcomm technology, and requires a Qualcomm processor (such as Snapdragon). Apple develops their own processors, and does not use Qualcomm. Therefore, aptX will never be supported on an iPhone.

Apple uses their own codec - AAC (which the ES100 supports).

Also, LDAC is a Sony proprietary technology, and there's no way Apple would pay Sony licensing fees to use LDAC. Besides, LDAC is used in very few devices. You can read more about it here: https://www.androidauthority.com/sony-ldac-codec-790690/

Don't overthink the ES100. Just buy it and you'll love it :)

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #5,225 of 6,675
aptX is a Qualcomm technology, and requires a Qualcomm processor (such as Snapdragon). Apple develops their own processors, and does not use Qualcomm. Therefore, aptX will never be supported on an iPhone.

Apple uses their own codec - AAC (which the ES100 supports).

Also, LDAC is a Sony proprietary technology, and there's no way Apple would pay Sony licensing fees to use LDAC. Besides, LDAC is not really used in a lot of devices.

Don't overthink the ES100. Just buy it and you'll love it :)

if I'm not mistaken, isn't the LDAC being implemented in the newest Android OS? so it should be available to all android device? it's available on my old Note 8 now after the last OS update

Aug 30, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #5,226 of 6,675
LDAC and aptx joined the main open source Android release in version 8, meaning all Oreo phones and later. The badly named Developer options allow an Oreo user to check all their Bluetooth options. aptx hd and aac are optional but most just include them, except Samsung for aptx hd. Sony doesn't charge for it anymore, their profits comes from LDAC hardware. Apple is just Apple, not Android family.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #5,227 of 6,675
Sony doesn't charge for it anymore, their profits comes from LDAC hardware.
Sony charges to use LDAC in receiver devices (but free for transmitters). I think only Sony's own products have LDAC in hardware. Everybody else implements the LDAC codec in software/firmware.

The ES100 originally shipped without LDAC support. @wslee of Radsone explained why it didn't have LDAC:
LDAC encoder is free for any source device, but LDAC decoder isn't free.
Technically, we're ready to support LDAC by F/W update based on current ES100 H/W.
But, we need to pay the additional license fee to SONY.

At the beginning of ES100 development, we've seriously considered supporting LDAC,
but we've ended up the decision that we hardly can afford the license fee assuming the current retail price of ES100.

Your kind understanding would be appreciated.
6 months after that post...
Last week, we've finally got the LDAC library package from SONY.
The integration has been going smoothly and
now we're having LDAC streaming through ES100.
(It sounds quite better than what we expected, by the way.)

And we're preparing for the SONY LDAC certification process.
I'm not sure how long it would take,
but I hope we may able to release the new F/W supporting LDAC within a couple of months.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #5,228 of 6,675
This could be more of a Galaxy Note 8 question than an ES100 question, but let me ask anyway. When I try to set the desired code in my Note 8 to LDAC, it always seems to revert back to APTX. I am setting this in the Developer options.

I confirm APTX in use in both the phone and ES100. Any ideas why this could be happening.

Most appreciate your help.

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #5,229 of 6,675
This could be more of a Galaxy Note 8 question than an ES100 question, but let me ask anyway. When I try to set the desired code in my Note 8 to LDAC, it always seems to revert back to APTX. I am setting this in the Developer options.

I confirm APTX in use in both the phone and ES100. Any ideas why this could be happening.

Most appreciate your help.
You need to set it in Bluetooth settings, not Developer Options.
See my earlier post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio-es100.867366/page-243#post-14689093

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #5,231 of 6,675
Isn't it the same as what I am talking about. The Bluetooth settings are a sub section under developer options.
Not the same. Whatever you set in Developer Options will reset with each Bluetooth session. To keep it on LDAC, set it in the regular Bluetooth setting as shown in my screenshots.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #5,233 of 6,675
Thanks for correcting the LDAC receiver licence bit, hadn't known that.
Samsung Note series 8 or 9 have the same codec decisions, not aptx hd. Try the Samsung forums.
And yes need to enable the checkbox under the normal Bluetooth capabilities dialog. Sony has the same kind of checkbox for aptx HD. Think it costs more battery life.

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #5,234 of 6,675
I just received mine es100 and I’m slightly confused. The reason to order it was because I wanted to use the EQ from the app. I’m using sony ex1000 with stock cable 3.5 mm. After playing with it I’m completely underwhelmed by the way the EQ works. The difference even when I completely slide certain frequencies (bass for example) all the way up and floor everything else down is absolutely minimal. I play around with the presets and still having hard time hearing the difference. I know it’s not my ears, using the eq from Spotify gives immediate results. This just feels useless. This might be a dumb post/question but am I doing something wrong? Is the eq only for 2.5 mm or is my unit faulty? Please help! Otherwise sound quality is very nice and I love how convenient and light it is

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #5,235 of 6,675
I just received mine es100 and I’m slightly confused. The reason to order it was because I wanted to use the EQ from the app. I’m using sony ex1000 with stock cable 3.5 mm. After playing with it I’m completely underwhelmed by the way the EQ works. The difference even when I completely slide certain frequencies (bass for example) all the way up and floor everything else down is absolutely minimal. I play around with the presets and still having hard time hearing the difference. I know it’s not my ears, using the eq from Spotify gives immediate results. This just feels useless. This might be a dumb post/question but am I doing something wrong? Is the eq only for 2.5 mm or is my unit faulty? Please help! Otherwise sound quality is very nice and I love how convenient and light it is

Are you sure you have the EQ toggle switch turned on?

The EQ makes huge changes, but you must enable it before the sliders do anything :)

DDDA60D6-0D15-45AE-8D29-0EDE29628015.jpeg
E83ECF54-48D8-4FC4-9AE6-BFD7706B1FA2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back