Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 7, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #2,536 of 6,675
Sep 7, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,537 of 6,675
I'd agree that if you're putting the pelican case in your pocket it's a bit bulky. I carry a laptop bag daily so it's not a problem for me. It's almost a perfect fit with my IEMs and ES100

Absolutely agree. The 1010 is very nice. I have one that came with my K10s and bought one when I had Angies. The advantage the 1010 has is you don’t need to unplug from the ES100.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #2,538 of 6,675
I use a pelican 1010 case with my IEMs and Es100. Nice fit and just big enough for both.

I use the Pelican 1020 and it feels a little bulky for me.

I us e the above. Small enough to pocket, big enough to store both my IEMs and the tiny ES100. Peli was too bulky. It's a cheap eBay case like this. I bought mine a couple years back from someone else.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterpro...338809&hash=item466cac2a01:g:EekAAOSwuLFZzvGK

Looks very interesting. I'll get one.

Thanks guys!

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #2,540 of 6,675
To answer my own question: Yes LDAC does add some room-space-effect to the sound. Im going Aptx-HD since it sounds closer to the original recording than LDAC does.
To test this i hooked my ES100 to my PC and played a song from spotify. I then connected my phone to the ES100 and switched back and forth between the PC and phone. When i switch between PC and phone with Aptx-HD its close to seemless, i really cant tell which is playing. When i do the same with PC and phone with LDAC i get the roomy spacy effects from LDAC. It does sound nice but not correct ACCORDING TO MY EARS.

I'm not certain, but I imagine the extra processing is due to software implementation of LDAC rather than hardware, I think the Snapdragon 835 in your Pixel 2 does AptX HD in hardware.

I don't think Sony would have done any DSP within LDAC at the receiver, DSEE HX is only for Sony source devices.

I'm still waiting for the LG V20 Oreo update to test LDAC out - I'm pretty happy with AptX HD so far, makes for a reliable Bluetooth experience.

Sep 7, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,541 of 6,675
Sep 7, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #2,542 of 6,675
I definitely hear what you describe with the Pixel 2X, ES100 and LDAC. I like it, but I am listening to lossy mostly Spotify at the higher bit levels, so I don't consider that the best judge. I listen to a lot of hi-rez and DSD on my iBasso.

I have been experimenting with Aptx-HD/LDAC alot the last week. My initial impression of LDAC was that it sounded better than Aptx-HD. But now im not so sure. When i switch to LDAC it gives me more air and and depth then Aptx-HD. But now im wondering if LDAC adds some room effect to the sound. Maybe it sounds "better" but not as true to the recording as Aptx-HD, im not sure since it's really hard to test. But its very noticable when switching from Aptx-HD to LDAC.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #2,543 of 6,675
One other thing I'd like to complement EarStudio on is the charging time. I can plug in my device at 40% and in 15 minutes it charges 50% to a bit over 90% !

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #2,544 of 6,675
When using the ES100 as a USB DAC and listening to tunes off of my computer, I often get surprised when my cell phone goes off and I realize that don't need to take off my heaphones, but can simply answer the call and carry on. As long as I have the ES100 close enough to me on my desk, the caller can hear me, and I can hear the caller through my headphones, and once I hang up, back on comes my computer tunes.

Whacky gizmo. It's all very good with this crazy good device! :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2,545 of 6,675
Can anyone recommend a good case for the ES100?

Something that will be both protective and a good fit, I suppose.

[like the SHANLING Leather Case for M0]

For my Andromedas which are pretty bulky for IEMs, and ES100, I found a good quality case for spectacles bought from my optician for $12 did the job quite nicely.

Sep 7, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #2,546 of 6,675
I have been experimenting with Aptx-HD/LDAC alot the last week. My initial impression of LDAC was that it sounded better than Aptx-HD. But now im not so sure. When i switch to LDAC it gives me more air and and depth then Aptx-HD. But now im wondering if LDAC adds some room effect to the sound. Maybe it sounds "better" but not as true to the recording as Aptx-HD, im not sure since it's really hard to test. But its very noticable when switching from Aptx-HD to LDAC.
Im running a NAD D3020 @ home but that dac/amp is a tad to the warmer side and i cant say thats a really fair test to compare the sound out of the D3020 to the ES100 since ES100 has a very clean and flat sound.
I'm not sure it would be fair to run the ES100 via USB and compare that to LDAC/Aptx-HD to compare which is more or less true to the recording.

When i use LDAC on my Google Pixel2 phone it gets a little warm, not much but a little. This does not happen when i run Aptx-HD. I cant think that the heat generated by LDAC is due to the higher transfer speeds but rather sound processing on the phone and this is where i think the "room effect" is maybe added to the sound. I know Sony likes their own stuff like DSEE HX. When i read about DSEE HX on: https://blogs.sonymobile.com/2016/0...see-hx-with-audio-engineer-kenichi-matsumoto/ it says and i quote:

"
You’ll be able to notice the difference most obviously in the areas below:
  • Expansion and depth of the sound field, or in the size of the performance area (such as in large concert halls compared to studios) – you can feel it with the applause of an audience, afterglow of instruments or atmosphere.
  • Clarity of the position and separation of each instrument
  • Vividness or presence of the performance
"

This makes me think that Sony is running DSEE HX or something similar in LDAC.
Thoughts on this?
I totally agree im using a LGV20 which supports the AptXHD with Earstudio Es100 and a Samsung Note 8 which supports LDAC .AptxHD sounds more natural less electronically enhanced ..

Sep 8, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #2,547 of 6,675

Thank you!

For my Andromedas which are pretty bulky for IEMs, and ES100, I found a good quality case for spectacles bought from my optician for $12 did the job quite nicely.

Yeah, that was one of the options I considered as well.

Ordered this one for now, based on zerolight recommendation. Let's see how it goes
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Alu...essories-Headset-Storage-Bag/32904181844.html

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #2,548 of 6,675
I have a general question, when sending music from the smartphone via bluetooth to a bluetooth receiver like the ES100, how much influence does the music app have on the audio quality?
What processes are involved when the audio signal is transfered, is this mainly happening on a hardware level of the smartphone or is there a lot of software involved (including the music player of ones choice) before the hardware sets in?

I was using Neutron on my V20 to get the most out of the DAC, but I really don't like the interface/user friendliness and am looking into new players now that I use the ES100 + Note 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back