Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 31, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,921 of 6,675
I like the "on/off switch" on the Ampio. Looking forward to your impressions of the ES100. Are there any negatives to having a switch like that? It seems like it would be a faster/simpler method, and if there are no negatives, then I hope that @wslee considers replacing the on/off button (that has to be held down) with a switch in future models.
There are no negatives to the on/off switch for me personally but I don't mind either method.

I had about 30-40 minutes with the ES100 last night, just used it straight out of the box and haven't even opened the app on my phone yet. I paired it with my Sony ZX300 and my early impressions are very positive. I actually don't mind the plastic materials although I don't know how it will hold up physically over time. In terms of sound it's easily as good as the Ampio if not better (haven't A/B them yet). By the way, I haven't tried the balanced output yet, just the 3.5 SE.

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #1,922 of 6,675
There are no negatives to the on/off switch for me personally but I don't mind either method.

I had about 30-40 minutes with the ES100 last night, just used it straight out of the box and haven't even opened the app on my phone yet. I paired it with my Sony ZX300 and my early impressions are very positive. I actually don't mind the plastic materials although I don't know how it will hold up physically over time. In terms of sound it's easily as good as the Ampio if not better (haven't A/B them yet). By the way, I haven't tried the balanced output yet, just the 3.5 SE.
Haha what codec are you running? The app let's you know 100%

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #1,923 of 6,675
Haha what codec are you running? The app let's you know 100%
aptX HD is what showed on the ZX300 when it connected which is weird because I didn't know it even supported aptX. Or maybe that's what the es100 told it, I dunno :p I'll test it again tonight with the app and see what it says. Also going to test pairing with my Android phone and the AR-M20.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,924 of 6,675
aptX HD is what showed on the ZX300 when it connected which is weird because I didn't know it even supported aptX. Or maybe that's what the es100 told it, I dunno :p I'll test it again tonight with the app and see what it says. Also going to test pairing with my Android phone and the AR-M20.
ZX300 should be able to use LDAC since it is Sony…then use LDAC for best sound quality

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #1,926 of 6,675
ZX300 should be able to use LDAC since it is Sony…then use LDAC for best sound quality

The ZX300 specs says it supports aptX, aptX HD, and LDAC. Did you update the ES100 firmware to support LDAC? If you have the latest firmware, it should have connected with LDAC automatically.

I haven't even checked which firmware version I have simply because I haven't had any time with it except for a brief listen last night. I'll look into all this when I get home after work but since you say it connects with LDAC automatically I'm assuming I do not have the latest firmware.

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #1,927 of 6,675
I haven't even checked which firmware version I have simply because I haven't had any time with it except for a brief listen last night. I'll look into all this when I get home after work but since you say it connects with LDAC automatically I'm assuming I do not have the latest firmware.

Most likely you don't have the latest fw.

Update the fw and use LDAC, put on one of those nice 8 core balanced cables of yours and fasten the seat belt :wink:

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #1,928 of 6,675
Most likely you don't have the latest fw.

Update the fw and use LDAC, put on one of those nice 8 core balanced cables of yours and fasten the seat belt :wink:
Got the latest firmware. Update was easy peasy. Will be testing with LDAC and balanced IEM after I get some other stuff done.

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,930 of 6,675
Okay, so balanced out with the BQEYZ K2 over LDAC is crazy good. *** off world, I'm busy. :smile:

es100 bqeyz.jpg

Aug 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #1,931 of 6,675
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,932 of 6,675
Hey Swedish guy! It was my setup, the A&K SP1000 Cu connected to Rhapsodio 2.98 cable and Empire Ears Phantom.

I'm not Rick's colleague, but am becoming part of the furniture these days as I go over regularly to try out new stuff.

I loved your CIEM Shootout and can't wait to read your review of the ES100

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,933 of 6,675
Okay, so balanced out with the BQEYZ K2 over LDAC is crazy good. *** off world, I'm busy. :smile:

Peter and I told ya man! haha. I'm seriously considering the M3s. I really have no need for it.

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #1,934 of 6,675
Those Amazon reviews are really going through the roof... :)

5/5 on Amazon.ca
4,7/5 on Amazon.com
4,7/5 on Amazon.de

Stunning! Just wish more "professional" people reviewed it to spread the word even more, there is like one review on Engadget AU i believe.

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #1,935 of 6,675
Been a while since I checked back into this thread but looks like this little gadget has gotten super popular lately! It's such a wonderful device that is getting the best product support I have ever seen in my tech gadgetry life.

I was having Android bluetooth issues on the June updates on both Oreo and P but the most recent Android P beta seems to have fixed whatever the problem was and I was finally able to reliably use bluetooth again without random skipping or stutters.

LDAC update is awesome! I didnt know what to expect from it but I was impressed with it working well and just ever so slightly better quality than AptX HD that I was using. They are both leagues ahead of the SBC and AptX and its noticeable.

I spent a good chunk of my morning using the ES100 with my Audeze Sine with balanced cables switching back and forth from the different codecs on the fly using developer mode. I also compared it to my wired Onkyo DP-S1 DAP performance with the Sine.

It's totally not apples to apples comparison but the DAP exhibited fuller and more impactful bass, while detail retrieval seemed the same on wired vs wireless. I dont know if the bass extension/size was due to the DAP's amp/dac vs the ES100 or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back