Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 30, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #1,892 of 6,675
It's in the wiki - "design is based on time domain ADPCM principles without psychoacoustic auditory masking techniques" And bits allocation per subband is fixed.
They only have a dynamic range adjustment so they encode low volume tone without high volume tones more effective.

It's based on this patent https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0398973B1 - if you see here anything that would show that multi-tone test is more useful - let me know, I could be missing something.
In my understanding, 2 tones with the same amplitude in different subbands would be exactly the same.

Here is a quote from the above mentioned patent "The signal in each sub-band is coded by means of a linear prediction technique and each sub-band is quantized with a varying number of levels according to its signal variance."

That's not fixed.

Further down in that patent "The aim therefore of sub-band coding is to allow the bit distribution to match that of the signal variance within each band, and in doing so, maximizing the likelihood of noise masking. Obviously the spectrum pattern of figure 6 will change with time, implying that an even greater gain could be achieved by allowing the bit allocation to adapt to the short-term energy in each sub-band, figure 11. This process is known as Adaptive Bit Allocation in the frequency domain."

That's complex, but it's not even a small portion of the complexity in that entire patent.

Getting back on track, regarding using multiple tones in testing the noise associated with each codec, it was a suggestion based upon what their testing equipment is capable of, the generator may not be able to make a signal complex enough to challenge the codecs efficiency, but at least it might get it closer to avoiding the rather unique case of encoding a single sine wave - that's like comparing 7zip and WinRar by compressing a file of 20 bytes length.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #1,894 of 6,675
I'm pushing my limits of DSP knowledge here, but my reading is that none of this would help with multitone compression. It works with tone amplitude diffetence. Adaptive bit allocation is not used in any of those codecs - they all fixed bits according to specs and def files of sources.

Anyway, I could be wrong. I will read it more later.

It's very hard to read multitone test charts - you have no idea which tone brought which problem. With sweeping test like I posted before its always clear where is the problem. And 1khz is not a subband with so limited bandwidth.

Their equipment can do such test, I believe. Well you can do it as well - all software is freely available. It's just 997hz FR is something that is known to 100x more consumers.
Here is a quote from the above mentioned patent "The signal in each sub-band is coded by means of a linear prediction technique and each sub-band is quantized with a varying number of levels according to its signal variance."

That's not fixed.

Further down in that patent "The aim therefore of sub-band coding is to allow the bit distribution to match that of the signal variance within each band, and in doing so, maximizing the likelihood of noise masking. Obviously the spectrum pattern of figure 6 will change with time, implying that an even greater gain could be achieved by allowing the bit allocation to adapt to the short-term energy in each sub-band, figure 11. This process is known as Adaptive Bit Allocation in the frequency domain."

That's complex, but it's not even a small portion of the complexity in that entire patent.

Getting back on track, regarding using multiple tones in testing the noise associated with each codec, it was a suggestion based upon what their testing equipment is capable of, the generator may not be able to make a signal complex enough to challenge the codecs efficiency, but at least it might get it closer to avoiding the rather unique case of encoding a single sine wave - that's like comparing 7zip and WinRar by compressing a file of 20 bytes length.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,895 of 6,675
Anyone else have trouble updating firmware? I have the correct cable type (data), plugged in, hold button down, but DFU cannot find it, and so won't update. I am pretty stoked that it got LDAC, but I don't believe I can use it until I update the firmware (or at least it won't currently connect with LDAC, and only connects with Aptx HD). Help appreciated.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,896 of 6,675
Anyone else have trouble updating firmware? I have the correct cable type (data), plugged in, hold button down, but DFU cannot find it, and so won't update. I am pretty stoked that it got LDAC, but I don't believe I can use it until I update the firmware (or at least it won't currently connect with LDAC, and only connects with Aptx HD). Help appreciated.
With the es100 off, open the update app until prompt to connect! Then press the power button and immediate connect it to any usb port! You should hear the windows bell of a device being found.
I have updated mine in 2 different laptops having issues on being recognized in dfu once. I guess it didn't press the power button all right

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,897 of 6,675
Update app? Do you mean the phone app? Mine just says to go to the website.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #1,898 of 6,675
I got it. You have to press power and plug into cable simultaneously or it won't work. Really picky. Got that LDAC!

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #1,899 of 6,675
I got it. You have to press power and plug into cable simultaneously or it won't work. Really picky. Got that LDAC!

you got ldac working on android nougat just due to the firmware update?

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #1,900 of 6,675
also, if i use my PC to connect to the es100, how do i know what bluetooth codec its using or can use? I dont see any downloadable software for windows bluetooth functionality.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #1,901 of 6,675
also, if i use my PC to connect to the es100, how do i know what bluetooth codec its using or can use? I dont see any downloadable software for windows bluetooth functionality.

Windows 10 natively supports Apt-X although it might be difficult to know it exactly when you connect via bluetooth.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #1,902 of 6,675
looks like it would benefit from a windows or (ugh) windows store app

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #1,903 of 6,675
Ok after a Swedish guy came in our store in Amsterdam with the Radon EarStudio I ordered one today, to check it out myself ..
Will let you know how it goes, it looked like a great companion for an head-fier!
Hi! Swedish guy here :)
Can you ask your colleague what IEMs he let me try? Im reffering to your custom molded ones. They were on another level! And what DAP was that?
Hope you will enoy the ES100 as much as we are!

Just want to give a quick shout out to @Adventure and the guys at Hifisolutions. Wonderful store and people working there. Great products in stock and for testing. Super friendly and helpful!
Best hifi store-visit for me by far!

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #1,904 of 6,675
For those people a few pages back saying they wanted a metal unit instead of plastic, you might want to take a look at the Ampio VS-1880. It's just a straight up receiver/DAC and doesn't have an app or anything and is only 3.5mm but it's a great sounding device with aptX HD and LDAC. You can check out my review of it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/20615/

As for the ES100, mine just arrived today so I'll be able to test it when I get home tonight. Am looking forward to it after hearing all the praise it has received.

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #1,905 of 6,675
Just got the balanced cable for my new ES100. It has arrived extremely fast from Penon Audio

38057410_10156689565538708_8186576500787511296_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back