Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 1, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,321 of 6,675
So, I'm new to audiophile stuff and was seeing a lot about the ability to use "balanced" cables/output on this device...can anyone give an ELI5 on this? I can't find much clear info on it online.

For what it’s worth:

I am relatively new to the balanced vs. unbalanced output factor. I bought a balanced 2.5mm specifically for this unit and my iBasso iT01s. It arrived yesterday and, quite honestly, the difference has been substantial.

I was skeptical and certainly couldn’t explain to you the reasons why the 2.5mm balanced vs. 3.5mm unbalanced sounds so much better. If I had to describe what I’ve noticed, it would be that the output is much cleaner, the low mids in particular feel much less bloated.

The cable I found was about $20US and I think it was an absolute steal. Well worth it if you own the ES100 to make use of its balanced out IMO.

Jun 1, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,322 of 6,675
For what it’s worth:

I am relatively new to the balanced vs. unbalanced output factor. I bought a balanced 2.5mm specifically for this unit and my iBasso iT01s. It arrived yesterday and, quite honestly, the difference has been substantial.

I was skeptical and certainly couldn’t explain to you the reasons why the 2.5mm balanced vs. 3.5mm unbalanced sounds so much better. If I had to describe what I’ve noticed, it would be that the output is much cleaner, the low mids in particular feel much less bloated.

The cable I found was about $20US and I think it was an absolute steal. Well worth it if you own the ES100 to make use of its balanced out IMO.
IMO, most 2.5mm sources provide better power over singled ended 3.5mm so you are getting more amplification. Balanced also helps to eliminate cross talk between channels since its two separate runs of wire (forgive me if not using the right terms lol) so you get better separation and clarity. Some people don't believe in it but I honestly do, plus you can always buy an adapter to go from balanced to single ended (iBasso CA01 I just got today) but can't go from Single Ended to Balanced with an adapter.

Jun 1, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,323 of 6,675
IMO, most 2.5mm sources provide better power over singled ended 3.5mm so you are getting more amplification. Balanced also helps to eliminate cross talk between channels since its two separate runs of wire (forgive me if not using the right terms lol) so you get better separation and clarity. Some people don't believe in it but I honestly do, plus you can always buy an adapter to go from balanced to single ended (iBasso CA01 I just got today) but can't go from Single Ended to Balanced with an adapter.
You don't have ground output with 2.5 balanced. How are you going to use converter?

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,324 of 6,675
You don't have ground output with 2.5 balanced. How are you going to use converter?
Not sure how it works but from everything I've read you can go balanced to unbalanced but not the other way. The CA01 is working perfect, as expected.

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #1,325 of 6,675
Honestly, I think the only thing we disagree on is Apple making this decision consciously as if it was a sensible technical decision.

They literally wouldn't know how to do better with audio hardware themselves, so they use what's available like everyone else. They couldn't afford AptX HD yet, but they bought into AptX on Macs, so I think your confidence that weren't even tempted should be shaky. Bluetooth is a strong market.

It's a contentious issue that Apple want people to ignore until they tell you to pay attention, so we can pretend it was all part of their plan.

Meanwhile, LG are placing AptX HD into their new line of assistant Bluetooth speakers and the list of brands coming on board grows, Huawei, Beyerdynamic, Sony, Asus, Google, Fiio and Audio Technica. Just another feature to market, yes, but also taking advantage of industry leading hardware that Apple don't have... Yet?

Will they be the last to bring actual CD quality to Bluetooth, whatever form that takes? Quite possibly, but they'll play it cool whenever it happens which is why we don't see their contracts in negotiation.

Apple came up with Retina display as a term, but they didn't invent the screens that have them, they just wanted the last word. Now all screens are retina displays and Apple have most convinced they are the leaders in design.

How are they going to be leaders of design here, by just not participating until lossless is ubiquitous? When no one is using lossy for anything audio, how will they look if they've done nothing and are still using AAC then? They'll just switch when no one uses the terms lossy or lossless any more and hope nobody noticed.

Because money.
When you started talking that APTX-HD is objectively better than aac and APTX-HD or LDAC are actual CD quality - you put your pants on fire here. Do you have any proof like instrumental test results?

You resist to study Wikipedia or source code of all those codecs and see facts - AAC is vastly superior compression codec that requires higher computational power. I have LDAC headphones now and it can't survive forced 990kbit connection even at best condition. To have it stable it falls down to 500 by itself.

Aptx is a marketing gimmick. And successful marketing. Apple has all licences to use it and it does for compatibility. But in the own stack it uses AAC and I yet to see any proof that it's not because of AAC superiority.

24 bit and high frequency sound formats are also just a gimmicks outside of studio space where you must have overhead for future processing.

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #1,326 of 6,675
Not sure how it works but from everything I've read you can go balanced to unbalanced but not the other way. The CA01 is working perfect, as expected.
It just have no way of working properly - unbalanced requires ground level with 0 volt which left and right signals will use to work from, but none of 2.5mm socket pins have 0V.

XLR has ground for shield which you can use as common ground, but not 2.5mm. So I assume they just use Left- as ground for Left and Right. But that means 50% crosstalk. I wouldn't call it perfect - listen for left/right test with one ear only and you going to hear both channels playing in it.

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #1,328 of 6,675
It just have no way of working properly - unbalanced requires ground level with 0 volt which left and right signals will use to work from, but none of 2.5mm socket pins have 0V.

XLR has ground for shield which you can use as common ground, but not 2.5mm. So I assume they just use Left- as ground for Left and Right. But that means 50% crosstalk. I wouldn't call it perfect - listen for left/right test with one ear only and you going to hear both channels playing in it.
Well I just did two different left right tests and both work flawless, left on left and right on right. So, you are wrong.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #1,331 of 6,675
Something happened to my phone in call volume.

Nothing happens anymore when I adjust the volume on the phone during a call.

Really sucks not being able to adjust call volume/source volume during a call from my phone. I could have sworn it worked before. Does this work for you guys?

For me adjusting the in call volume slider on my android phone does nothing to the volume on the ear studio. Seems it is stuck at 100%.

I tried going back down to 1.19 firmware but it was still broken.

I tried toggling Absolute volume control in developer options didn't help

I tried restarting my phone

I tried pairing the earstduio again

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,332 of 6,675
Jun 1, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,333 of 6,675
When you started talking that APTX-HD is objectively better than aac and APTX-HD or LDAC are actual CD quality - you put your pants on fire here. Do you have any proof like instrumental test results?

If I stated that this is about math and not anything else then instrumental test results would merely add an analog stage that is likely to introduce systematic errors that I would then have to account for, so no. Do you have any proof that the math doesn't add up?

You resist to study Wikipedia or source code of all those codecs and see facts - AAC is vastly superior compression codec that requires higher computational power. I have LDAC headphones now and it can't survive forced 990kbit connection even at best condition. To have it stable it falls down to 500 by itself.

I have stated where we agree and there is no doubt in my mind that we agree that AAC is a superior codec, if not *the* superior lossy audio codec - it will never be bested because it's all about to become redundant anyway. It's interesting your experience with LDAC, that supports the theory that around 600 Kbps is about the general use transmission limit at the moment with the chipsets we have,

Aptx is a marketing gimmick. And successful marketing. Apple has all licences to use it and it does for compatibility. But in the own stack it uses AAC and I yet to see any proof that it's not because of AAC superiority.

I couldn't agree more about AptX and when you say that they have paid for it for compatibility's sake, isn't that the whole point? Apple bought AptX for compatibility and so there's no reason they wouldn't do the same for AptX HD.
Everyone uses AAC, it's a great codec.... it's just lossy. Over Bluetooth it's currently limited to 250 Kbps, that's just over current Bluetooth. AAC can go to higher bit rates and sample sizes as a storage format, which may still be used in future over higher bandwidth Bluetooth, but that would draw attention to themselves, they may just stick to their guns.
AptX is not as efficient, but to claim that AAC at 16/44.1 250Kbps is superior to AptX HD at 24/48 576 Kbps is a bold one indeed. In fact, I would say the onus is on you to show why it would be, since I think the main issue with AptX would be aliasing in the higher frequencies, which is going to be pushed out of everyone's hearing range when you increase the data rate to nearly double and improve the accuracy of each sample by a factor of 256 at the same time. That last one, moving from 16 to 24 bit ensures that you will get a lot closer to the original signal, closely approximating an improvement in proportion to the data rate increase. I would say if they didn't use 24 bit, you may well have a case for AAC 16/44.1 being better.

24 bit and high frequency sound formats are also just a gimmicks outside of studio space where you must have overhead for future processing.

Or overhead for transmission purposes for example.

I'm beginning to think the real reason Apple haven't got AptX HD is probably due to the timing of the major lawsuits involving Qualcomm and Apple. Qualcomm are currently trying to stop all sales of iPhones in China because of patents, they might find it tricky to work together on anything good at the moment.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #1,334 of 6,675
I'm beginning to think the real reason Apple haven't got AptX HD is probably due to the timing of the major lawsuits involving Qualcomm and Apple. Qualcomm are currently trying to stop all sales of iPhones in China because of patents, they might find it tricky to work together on anything good at the moment.

Nah it’s because they know it’s mostly a gimmick and that 99.99999% of people don’t care and don’t hear a difference. It’d be a huge change for no real gain other than something to briefly mention in a keynote.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #1,335 of 6,675
Well I just did two different left right tests and both work flawless, left on left and right on right. So, you are wrong.

You're right, I do this all the time and have never heard any increased cross talk (or any other issues whatsoever. Trust your ears, not some wannabe scientists that haven't even tried it but still knows best......

I've talked to a cable and earbuds maker about this and although I don't understand all the technicalities I've got no doubt in my mind that he knows what his doing......

You can't go from unbalanced to balanced though, that may damage your gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back