Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 8, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #782 of 6,675
I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread so I'll ask here. Is there any loss of sound quality through the bluetooth connection and has anyone compared it to high end to mid tear DAP's?
Yes but the convenience makes up for it

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #783 of 6,675
Someone pointed out this device to me, so I'm just dropping in to check it out.

I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread so I'll ask here. Is there any loss of sound quality through the bluetooth connection and has anyone compared it to high end to mid tear DAP's?

If you are connected with APTx (normal or HD) or AAC, any loss is pretty tiny, and not something I'd worry about for a $99 device. Everything else (the DAC, HP amp etc.) is going to make more of a difference vs. a DAP.

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #784 of 6,675

Compared to my DFR, yes, obviously you can tell there's loss of SQ. But mobility is of course better with ES100

Compared to direct out from phone (S7edge) , no. In fact i like it far better from the ES100 than direct

Compared to the S7edge via bluetooth to Cayin N3 and S7edge to the ES100, i still like the ES100 better

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #785 of 6,675
Compared to my DFR, yes, obviously you can tell there's loss of SQ. But mobility is of course better with ES100

Compared to direct out from phone (S7edge) , no. In fact i like it far better from the ES100 than direct

Compared to the S7edge via bluetooth to Cayin N3 and S7edge to the ES100, i still like the ES100 better
Thank you that's what I was looking for.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #786 of 6,675

If you are connected with APTx (normal or HD) or AAC, any loss is pretty tiny, and not something I'd worry about for a $99 device. Everything else (the DAC, HP amp etc.) is going to make more of a difference vs. a DAP.

Spot on. I use the it via my S7 edge & APTX, and it sounds so good to me that I forget it's bluetooth.

That's a testament to how good the ES100 is right there. People such as yourself prefer (or like at least as much) the ES100 in bluetooth over the N3. That says quite a lot imo.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #787 of 6,675
Spot on. I use the it via my S7 edge & APTX, and it sounds so good to me that I forget it's bluetooth.

That's a testament to how good the ES100 is right there. People such as yourself prefer (or like at least as much) the ES100 in bluetooth over the N3. That says quite a lot imo.

the N3 has a cramped staging that i don't like, also it has big latency, making it unusable for movies. the ES100, for that application just performs better: lower latency, smaller and lighter body, easier to use software (eq, etc), and surprisingly: better sounding to my ears

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #788 of 6,675
I've been trying to get in touch with Radsone via email about purchasing one and having it shipped to the UK, but so far only had one reply which didn't really say anything.
I've ordered an Audio Technika PHA55BT Headphone Amplifier as it also supports LDAC.
I am very keen to hear from one of the Radsone Earstudio owners if I should cancel the AT-PHA55BT or try and get a Radsone Earstudio ES100.
I've been told sales should start on Amazon soon, but still don't know if I can actually get one in the UK, so any input from Radsone (as I know they're active on this thread) would be awesome, either via PM or in the thread about whether it is possible to acquire one in the UK.
I do prefer LDAC, but appreciate the extra functionality an app like the radsone app and upgradable firmware offer.
Any feedback guys :)
An old hifi-er but new head-fi er :D

Did you manage to find a way to get one in the U.K.?

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #789 of 6,675
Sorry for getting off topic but how do these compare to the FLC 8S and the A5?

I had the FLC and loved it but the comfort was am issue after some time and the cables were horrible.

Not really sure about the FLC, though if you check out the Reviews here for the A4’s I remember seeing them compared by multiple people.

I also haven’t really been following the A5’s since I am completely happy with the A4’s.

I’ve very excited for my balanced cable to arrive to use with the ES100! Hopefully this week. It is perfect while at work. The AirPods are great for convenience but they just let in too much external noise. I need IEM’s when I work.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #790 of 6,675

:wink:

Aside from range issues through my apparently fat butt, I'm impressed with this little device. It seems to do everything they say it does and I really appreciate WS Lee being very present on this thread and addressing issues and actually seeming to take feedback from the community and use it in firmware updates. Seriously I think I mentioned the battery indicator on the iPhone just days before it was addressed in a firmware update.

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #791 of 6,675
I do like Fiio's BTR1 a lot (it's great with my Pinnacle P1) but it has two problems.

1. Volume differences between steps are too big. Does ES100 have better volume control?

2. Higher sensitive iems do tend to hiss and sometimes quieter notes can no longer be heard. If somebody could test the Brainwavz B400 with the ES100 and see whether the issue is also present with this amp. Listen for instance to the first notes of track 5 of this album:

Thanks in advance!

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #792 of 6,675
I do like Fiio's BTR1 a lot (it's great with my Pinnacle P1) but it has two problems.

1. Volume differences between steps are too big. Does ES100 have better volume control?

2. Higher sensitive iems do tend to hiss and sometimes quieter notes can no longer be heard. If somebody could test the Brainwavz B400 with the ES100 and see whether the issue is also present with this amp. Listen for instance to the first notes of track 5 of this album:

Thanks in advance!

After feedback from the community they updated the firmware to change the volume in .5 decibel increments.

I don't have the B400 but I haven't noticed any hiss or loss of "quieter notes" using the IE80S, Westone W30, or CA Lyra II. I can check the first notes of that track later but offhand I don't know what the sensitivity is of the B400 or the IEM's i'm using in comparison.

With the CA Lyra II using the Litz with the 3.5 2x unbalanced current setting at max phone volume(recommended) and -28.5dB for the analog volume over AAC on my iPhone 7 Plus and using the "Quiet (preserves dynamics)" settings in Spotify I can hear the very quiet first part of this track. Again I don't know the sensitivity of the IEM's you referred to or my own off hand.

Just looked it up

B400: Sensitivity 115dB
Lyra II: Sensitivity 103dB

They are still very different IEM's but I don't have my W30's with me to test right now.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #793 of 6,675
After feedback from the community they updated the firmware to change the volume in .5 decibel increments.

That's great news. With the BTR1 I'm constantly changing volumes on my smartphone and the device. Very annoying. That won't be necessary on the ES100.

I don't have the B400 but I haven't noticed any hiss or loss of "quieter notes" using the IE80S, Westone W30, or CA Lyra II. I can check the first notes of that track later but offhand I don't know what the sensitivity is of the B400 or the IEM's i'm using in comparison.

Pinnacle P1 is in fact the only iem that passes the test. Vsonic VSDS3 (an old favorite of mine that I still use) of Hifiman RE400 do also hiss but to a lesser extent than the Brainwavz. Unfortunately I do not possess any of the iems you have.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #794 of 6,675
That's great news. With the BTR1 I'm constantly changing volumes on my smartphone and the device. Very annoying. That won't be necessary on the ES100.

Pinnacle P1 is in fact the only iem that passes the test. Vsonic VSDS3 (an old favorite of mine that I still use) of Hifiman RE400 do also hiss but to a lesser extent than the Brainwavz. Unfortunately I do not possess any of the iems you have.
I updated my earlier post with the specs and my brief testing instead of making a new comment...which I'm doing here anyways lol

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #795 of 6,675
Sensitivity doesn't make hiss. Low impedance - does. I don't have a hiss with 5Ohm IEM at the volume where I can hear -70dB signal, so I doubt anyone will. Unless they hear way better than me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back