Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 5, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #751 of 6,675
The Firmware update is a zipped archive, of a Batch File that you run from a command line, and a couple of support files.
It doesn't require installing any software on your PC, but the Batch File does need to access the ES100, via a USB connection.

And make sure the es100 isn't being used (either by phone or by computer).

Hey DBaldock9, did you get the es100?

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #752 of 6,675
And make sure the es100 isn't being used (either by phone or by computer).

Hey DBaldock9, did you get the es100?

Yes, about a week ago. It's great!
Right now, I'm using it as a USB DAC, connected to my PC at work - listening to music from YouTube.

Getting the ES100 actually pushed me over the edge ... and I ordered a new phone, with aptX HD (LG V20) - since my Google Nexus 5 only supports the SBC codec.
Looking forward to receiving, rooting, installing LineageOS, and using the V20 with my ES100.

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #753 of 6,675
The fact that it can be used as a USB balanced amp and dac is just amazing for $100. Honestly if they sold two versions, one with just Bluetooth and one with just USB dac it' s be an incredible deal.

I've already started terminating some of my cables to 2.5mm TRRS. I do need to make a higher quality 2.5mm to 3.5mm and 2.5 to xlr adapters but that is just for the rare situations.

I've always been a wireless or semi wireless fanboy and this just seals the deal for me. I've always loved the Etymotic ER4 and just reterminated my 4XR to 2.5. I do want to try the 4SR because I find the upper/mid bass (150-250hz) bleeds a bit too much for my tastes. I love the sound of the ER4P with a decent sub bass boost in the eq.

Alright I'm done rambling... Great device and highly recommended. For the device, updates, features, app and everything it's a steal. I'd honestly be happy paying $200 for this.. In fact I'm debating whether to buy a second for backup... Only negatives I have to say about it are the buttons feel cheap and are hard to identify in the dark and don't have any tactile feel to them... Thinking of putting a drop of glue to add a bump but that feels risky..

Apr 5, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #754 of 6,675
I found I couldn't even walk with my iPhone in my hand without drop outs.Maybe I got a defective unit, I have since returned it. 3 feet of range was just not acceptable. I really liked everything about it but if I can't use it for my daily commute, it's just not worth it. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next iteration.

@dosley01:

There seems to be an issue with your ES100 and iPhone 6+.
Testing another BT receiver, if you have any, would isolate the issue.
And I also experience the RF issue, when having ES100 multi-paired with two source devices.

Other suggestions are:
- remove ES100 from the BT device list (Forget This Device)
- reset ES100 by factory default (Press and hold vol+/vol-/track<</track>> four buttons and connect usb charger)
- reboot iPhone
- closing ES100 application

For sure, I believe you already updated your iPhone with the latest iOS.

If you still have the problem, please let us know via support@radsone.com.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #755 of 6,675
The fact that it can be used as a USB balanced amp and dac is just amazing for $100. Honestly if they sold two versions, one with just Bluetooth and one with just USB dac it' s be an incredible deal.

I've already started terminating some of my cables to 2.5mm TRRS. I do need to make a higher quality 2.5mm to 3.5mm and 2.5 to xlr adapters but that is just for the rare situations.

I've always been a wireless or semi wireless fanboy and this just seals the deal for me. I've always loved the Etymotic ER4 and just reterminated my 4XR to 2.5. I do want to try the 4SR because I find the upper/mid bass (150-250hz) bleeds a bit too much for my tastes. I love the sound of the ER4P with a decent sub bass boost in the eq.

Alright I'm done rambling... Great device and highly recommended. For the device, updates, features, app and everything it's a steal. I'd honestly be happy paying $200 for this.. In fact I'm debating whether to buy a second for backup... Only negatives I have to say about it are the buttons feel cheap and are hard to identify in the dark and don't have any tactile feel to them... Thinking of putting a drop of glue to add a bump but that feels risky..

@Jazic:

Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you enjoy ES100.
BTW, about the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter,
please do not use any 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter as below:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0108HJVG8?tag=3340693-headfi-20

Through those adapters, the 2.5mm 4-pin amplifier outputs (L+, L-, R+, R-) are eventually connected to the single-ended 3-pin cable, which short L- and R- together.
It will not sound properly, and on top of that, it will break and damage the ES100 amplifier.
Any balanced output should be connected to the balanced input.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #756 of 6,675
Do I need to actually own Windows for any of these options?

I don’t particular want to purchase Windows simply to update the firmware of one of my devices. Pretty sucky for Mac users otherwise.

Any chance for Mac support in the near future for firmware updates @wslee ?

Thank you!

EDIT: I suppose I could try updating on my work PC laptop — though worried my IT department will freak out. Is this firmware update “invasive”? Obviously that depends on each company.

@X-Frame:

I'm so sorry ES100 supports DFU only with Windows.
Because the DFU PC application is a part of CSR8675 SDK, and it's black box to us,
we're not able to figure out MAC DFU support at the moment.
Appreciate your kind understanding.
Thanks and Regards,
WS

Apr 5, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #757 of 6,675
@Jazic:

Through those adapters, the 2.5mm 4-pin amplifier outputs (L+, L-, R+, R-) are eventually connected to the single-ended 3-pin cable, which short L- and R- together.
It will not sound properly, and on top of that, it will break and damage the ES100 amplifier.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Thanks for the heads up. This is very important information to know and you make it very clear in your app not to do this which is a huge deal to those not familiar.

Luckily I've had the pleasure of diving into the balanced world with my Schiit Jotenheim.

Before I connected it I triple checked the connections with my Fluke to make sure there were no shorts.

On a side note, I do have a question/request, how hard would it be to add some crossover/crosstalk to the left and right channels? Some older music pans hard left and/or right and having the channels blended by a selectable amount would be invaluable to an already amazing device. Another feature is it could be advertised as a gaming amp. To be honest the best surround you can get on a headset is to simply add about 15% crosstalk between the left and right channels. BAM instant surround that is both extremely high quality and accurate without the tin can effect you get with artificial surround technologies.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #758 of 6,675
@Jazic:

Thanks and Regards,
WS

I don't understand why this adapter won't work, it's balanced 3.5mm to balanced 2.5mm. Although I haven't used this kind of adapter for the EarStudio I've used similar ones with other balanced sources without any problems whatsoever. Are the EarStudio different from other balanced sources in this respect?

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #759 of 6,675
I don't understand why this adapter won't work, it's balanced 3.5mm to balanced 2.5mm. Although I haven't used this kind of adapter for the EarStudio I've used similar ones with other balanced sources without any problems whatsoever. Are the EarStudio different from other balanced sources in this respect?

@peter123:

No difference at all.
And as you mentioned, it's OK to have the balanced 3.5mm to balanced 2.5mm adapter if 4-pin 3.5mm balanced cable is connected.

As I've been asked on that many times before,
some users try to connect the 3.5mm unbalanced default earphones cable through the adapter.

Any 3.5mm unbalanced cable with the adapter won't sound properly.
Even worse, if 3-pin 3.5mm unbalanced cable connected,
it will short two pins of the balanced output and eventually would break and damage the amplifier.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Apr 6, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #760 of 6,675
@peter123:

No difference at all.
And as you mentioned, it's OK to have the balanced 3.5mm to balanced 2.5mm adapter if 4-pin 3.5mm balanced cable is connected.

As I've been asked on that many times before,
some users try to connect the 3.5mm unbalanced default earphones cable through the adapter.

Any 3.5mm unbalanced cable with the adapter won't sound properly.
Even worse, if 3-pin 3.5mm unbalanced cable connected,
it will short two pins of the balanced output and eventually would break and damage the amplifier.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Thanks for clarifying, that makes sense :)

I understand the worries as it's my experience as well that a lot of people believe they can use single ended cables with balanced sources by using an adapter (which of course is not to be recommended).

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #761 of 6,675
@X-Frame:

I'm so sorry ES100 supports DFU only with Windows.
Because the DFU PC application is a part of CSR8675 SDK, and it's black box to us,
we're not able to figure out MAC DFU support at the moment.
Appreciate your kind understanding.
Thanks and Regards,
WS

It’s okay! I understand.

I am at my work laptop and trying to update the firmware but it’s not working. In checking the Device manager on Windows 7, it does not say “HID-compliant vendor-defined device” but rather “HID-complaint consume control device”. Is that a big difference?

Otherwise, I’m also not sure if I am getting to DFU successfully. It says hold power button until LED shuts off. It is off. Then I plug it into my laptop via the USB that came with the device and the LED lights back up, alternating between Green and Red circles.

So when I go to run the Batch file, the cmd says ““HidDfuCmd.exe” is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”

Can someone let me know where I am going wrong? Thank you!

Apr 6, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #762 of 6,675
It’s okay! I understand.

I am at my work laptop and trying to update the firmware but it’s not working. In checking the Device manager on Windows 7, it does not say “HID-compliant vendor-defined device” but rather “HID-complaint consume control device”. Is that a big difference?

Otherwise, I’m also not sure if I am getting to DFU successfully. It says hold power button until LED shuts off. It is off. Then I plug it into my laptop via the USB that came with the device and the LED lights back up, alternating between Green and Red circles.

So when I go to run the Batch file, the cmd says ““HidDfuCmd.exe” is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.”

Can someone let me know where I am going wrong? Thank you!

Try to connect the USB cable while still holding the power button down and see if it makes a difference to start with....

Apr 6, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #763 of 6,675
Try to connect the USB cable while still holding the power button down and see if it makes a difference to start with....

Well I believe I am now in DFU mode after doing that, thank you! The LED is off completely while plugged in.

In Device Manager, it now only shows “HID-compliant device” not a “vendor-defined” one though.

And running the batch file still gives me the same error that it’s not recognized. At least I am closer!

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #764 of 6,675
Yes, about a week ago. It's great!
Right now, I'm using it as a USB DAC, connected to my PC at work - listening to music from YouTube.

Getting the ES100 actually pushed me over the edge ... and I ordered a new phone, with aptX HD (LG V20) - since my Google Nexus 5 only supports the SBC codec.
Looking forward to receiving, rooting, installing LineageOS, and using the V20 with my ES100.

Awesome! And congrats on your upcoming phone :)

For me, the ES100 is allowing me to look forward to getting balanced cables to use with the nighthawks, pt25's and svara l's :)

Yup, its really great. A few physical improvements on the next iteration(s) would be a nice (such as having more identifiable/tactile power button, or better yet, put it on the front face under the led, and maybe a stronger clip). But minor niggles relative to how good the ES100 package is.

Apr 6, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #765 of 6,675
Well I believe I am now in DFU mode after doing that, thank you! The LED is off completely while plugged in.

In Device Manager, it now only shows “HID-compliant device” not a “vendor-defined” one though.

And running the batch file still gives me the same error that it’s not recognized. At least I am closer!

I'm not very technical so maybe I'm not the best to explain but I updated mine yesterday for the first time and I also made the same mistake with the power button to start with. After that I unpacked the files and run the bat file, after that I just followed the instructions in the manual and it all went well until the screen said 99% completed and it stopped. I waited for a couple of more minutes and nothing happened so eventually I removed the USB connection and the EarStudio then reboot itself and worked properly with the new fw. Hopefully my experience can help you a bit further on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back