Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #738 of 6,675
The option to change the Bluetooth codec is in Android 8 (Oreo). Your equipment list has Samsung S7 Edge, and Android 8 hasn't been released for it yet. Therefore you won't see an option to change the Bluetooth codec at this time. Android 8 is expected to be released for the S7 Edge, but probably not for a few more months. The S8 models are only just now receiving updates: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung-galaxy-android-8-o-update

Thanks. I thought that SubMash knew that I was on android 7.0. Looking forward to the 8.0 release.

For those who can't change in android - you can change in ES app. Not as fast switching, though.

Right! You prompted me to get the latest firmware installed on the ES100. Now I have those options and will test it out sbc vs aptx later.

@wslee, nice enhancements! Thanks for continually supporting and improving the ES100, and providing informative feedback here - that's awesome.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #740 of 6,675
Mine starts to break up right around 100' on both aptx hd and aac paired with my lg g6 and battery life and has been phenomenal while powering my IT01s.
I found I couldn't even walk with my iPhone in my hand without drop outs.Maybe I got a defective unit, I have since returned it. 3 feet of range was just not acceptable. I really liked everything about it but if I can't use it for my daily commute, it's just not worth it. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next iteration.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #741 of 6,675
I found I couldn't even walk with my iPhone in my hand without drop outs.Maybe I got a defective unit, I have since returned it. 3 feet of range was just not acceptable. I really liked everything about it but if I can't use it for my daily commute, it's just not worth it. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next iteration.

That's possible and that sucks because the ES100 sounds amazing, my youngest son has an iPhone 6 and hasn't had any drop outs the few times he's used it around the house. I would try another one and return it if it doesn't work out for you, every review on the amazon page is 5 stars and some mention great connection so I would give it another try.

https://www.amazon.com/EarStudio-ES100-High-Resolution-Bluetooth-Headphone/dp/B078H4YD2L

I also use mine in the house to wirelessly feed my pioneer receiver with a 3.5mm to rca cable and in the back yard with a 3.5mm cable to feed an old JVC kaboom boom box. The ES100 allows me to connect with aptx hd with my lg g6 while my son is connected via aac with his iPhone 6 and it swaps automatically when either one of us starts a new song from either phone instantly. I didn't even know it could do that when I bought it but it's awesome.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #742 of 6,675
When connected to my LG G5 I can even walk down in the first floor of our house with the phone laying in the kitchen on the second floor without any drop outs. This is the first Bluetooth device out of all the ones that I've tried that pulls this off.....

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #743 of 6,675
At the moment, very much enjoying new and old technology: ES100 -> Fiio E12 amp (version 1 with great sub-bass boost) -> Sony MDR-V7 (circa late 80's). Very satisfying!

20180405_121329_resized.jpg

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #744 of 6,675
At the moment, very much enjoying new and old technology: ES100 -> Fiio E12 amp (version 1 with great sub-bass boost) -> Sony MDR-V7 (circa late 80's). Very satisfying!

Have you tried any master track on tidal while on USB wired? I know ES100 does not support 24 bit input through cable connection. But, i am just wondering its behavior against 24-bit track.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #745 of 6,675
Have you tried any master track on tidal while on USB wired? I know ES100 does not support 24 bit input through cable connection. But, i am just wondering its behavior against 24-bit track.

No. But I will the day they lower the monthly hifi fee :)

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #746 of 6,675
i havent tried it for this application, but when I had a macbook in the past, WINE (WINE is not an emulator) was my best friend. That and Virtualbox for more functionality.

Do I need to actually own Windows for any of these options?

I don’t particular want to purchase Windows simply to update the firmware of one of my devices. Pretty sucky for Mac users otherwise.

Any chance for Mac support in the near future for firmware updates @wslee ?

Thank you!

EDIT: I suppose I could try updating on my work PC laptop — though worried my IT department will freak out. Is this firmware update “invasive”? Obviously that depends on each company.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #748 of 6,675

I don’t particular want to purchase Windows simply to update the firmware of one of my devices. Pretty sucky for Mac users otherwise.

Thank you!

EDIT: I suppose I could try updating on my work PC laptop — though worried my IT department will freak out. Is this firmware update “invasive”? Obviously that depends on each company.

Wine does not require windows.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #749 of 6,675
@antdroid Did you happens to notice which one of them was enabled when you had 100' range? Stable range on es100 is my main concern and 100 feet sounds quite amazing.

I dont think I mentioned anything about 100 feet, but I can go at least 50 feet without any issues on AptX HD/Essential phone. I mean there's a lot of variables in place too - such as building material, walls, and other obstructions. Also your phone may make a difference. My phone is titanium and ceramic. iPhone is aluminum unibody. It may affect signal differently? That said, it's pretty unlikely it would affect it as much as killing signal after 3 feet....

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #750 of 6,675

Thank you!

The Firmware update is a zipped archive, of a Batch File that you run from a command line, and a couple of support files.
It doesn't require installing any software on your PC, but the Batch File does need to access the ES100, via a USB connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back