Radsone EarStudio ES100
Oct 25, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #5,536 of 6,675
You can find relatively inexpensive replacement Senn cables online, that would save you from doing any soldering. I got one for about $25.

I wanted to cut one down short enough to attach the ES100 to the HD650 kind of like I did with my Q701.
IMG_20191014_163050.jpg

Oct 25, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #5,537 of 6,675
I so feel you, man.
The stack thing - went there, it was a nightmare. Just not functional in any sense - connection was unreliable, my phone became an unwieldy monster, and with the Q1MkII form factor it’s even worse since it obscures the lens... plus what you write about the 3M expenses, I mean, seriously, stop doing that to yourself :smile:
You have plenty of gear already, so I don’t think your Ali basket will bring as meaningful an upgrade to your listening experience as the ES100 will. It’s seriously transformative! A much better solution than a dedicated DAP with all the shortcomings those have. I have a V30, which is like a great midrange DAP and a fully functional phone rolled into one, and even that elegant solution is often less desirable than using the ES100.
Thanks for the comment! I'm definitely on the lookout for another ES100 now. I like how the app gives so much control and extra features to this device. Hoping to snag one again within the next week or two. Hopefully, the new unit will not be defective. I'm going with this because of all the great reviews here on headfi and how unique and practical it is; all with the added bonus of high sound quality and an excellent portable solution. I really think you hit the nail on the head my friend, when you said that I already have alot of great gear. I really enjoy all of the iems I currently own and don't really need many more. I WOULD like a better source...but I'm sooo in love with how great my Q1MK2 sounds, it's really hard to justify spending 3-5 times as much on a dedicated DAP. SQ-wise, I'm luvin it! I really dig how great it is to use my Samsung S8+ with its snappy fast Android system and the fact that it has an SD CARD slot up to 256g. I currently have a 32gig card in it (90% full with WMA LOSSLESS files in 1411 mbps, and FLAC files...both types ripped from music I already own on CD). Got a 100 gig card that I haven't even opened/used yet. THAT is the main reason I want a device like this. I want to use the capability of my phone as a music player/server, without sacrificing all of the phone's other abilities, just to obtain excellent SQ.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #5,538 of 6,675
Thanks for the comment! I'm definitely on the lookout for another ES100 now. I like how the app gives so much control and extra features to this device. Hoping to snag one again within the next week or two. Hopefully, the new unit will not be defective. I'm going with this because of all the great reviews here on headfi and how unique and practical it is; all with the added bonus of high sound quality and an excellent portable solution. I really think you hit the nail on the head my friend, when you said that I already have alot of great gear. I really enjoy all of the iems I currently own and don't really need many more. I WOULD like a better source...but I'm sooo in love with how great my Q1MK2 sounds, it's really hard to justify spending 3-5 times as much on a dedicated DAP. SQ-wise, I'm luvin it! I really dig how great it is to use my Samsung S8+ with its snappy fast Android system and the fact that it has an SD CARD slot up to 256g. I currently have a 32gig card in it (90% full with WMA LOSSLESS files in 1411 mbps, and FLAC files...both types ripped from music I already own on CD). Got a 100 gig card that I haven't even opened/used yet. THAT is the main reason I want a device like this. I want to use the capability of my phone as a music player/server, without sacrificing all of the phone's other abilities, just to obtain excellent SQ.
So you are the perfect ES100 user, just without an ES100 for now :slight_smile:
Too bad you initially received what I presume to be a defective unit. The jacks themselves are the one sturdy metal thing on this all-plastic enclosure, so odds are next time will work better.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #5,539 of 6,675
There are other reasons why the es100 is a not so good product in my personal opinion:

- The device is made of cheap(est) plastic, which I personally do not care much about. However, I bother the fact that all buttons wobble, also the key-press feedback is rather bad. The device does not gain a flowerpot from the manufacturing quality. In comparison, my good old hidizs ap60 dap is simply made of higher and more precise manufacturing quality. Nevertheless, the ap60 does not cost more money.

- The headphone-jacks are placed unfavorably and therefore the control buttons difficult to reach.

- The increase or decrease in the volume is not always accurate: If you only briefly press the volume rocker, the volume is reduced or increased by 0,5 db ... but if you hang just a little bit longer on the button, then it increases the db number already around 2,5 db to more db. That's not so much precise as I have thought. Adjusting the volume within the app is annoying in long term use.

- Although the app has many features... however, the manufacturer has simply forgotten an very important feature in my personal opinion: an option to determine how many db per volume-rocker click the volume increases/decreases.

- The clip makes the device thicker than it could have been. The optional loop feature is maybe anyway the smarter choice.
To me, it is perfect for what it does. No complaints.

Oct 26, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #5,540 of 6,675
So you are the perfect ES100 user, just without an ES100 for now :slight_smile:
Too bad you initially received what I presume to be a defective unit. The jacks themselves are the one sturdy metal thing on this all-plastic enclosure, so odds are next time will work better.
I'm definitely hoping so. I guess one thing I've known since I had to send my defective one back is...I'd definitely be trying another. I never deleted the App. Lol!

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #5,542 of 6,675
If you take the clip off, there is basiccally no putting it back on, right?

Oct 27, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #5,543 of 6,675
Oct 30, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #5,545 of 6,675
Can someone explain the DAC "digital filters" a little bit in depth? What are they all about?

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #5,546 of 6,675
Can someone explain the DAC "digital filters" a little bit in depth? What are they all about?
They deal with reducing frequencies above hearing thresholds. Sharp is usually a standard since it represents the audio signal the most accurately. Slow can sometimes suppress 1-2db in the upper treble, and though I can't personally hear the difference, I'm not sure why it's ever used. I leave mine on Sharp.

Oct 30, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #5,547 of 6,675
They deal with reducing frequencies above hearing thresholds. Sharp is usually a standard since it represents the audio signal the most accurately. Slow can sometimes suppress 1-2db in the upper treble, and though I can't personally hear the difference, I'm not sure why it's ever used. I leave mine on Sharp.

I've been using the short delay sharp roll off setting.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #5,548 of 6,675
It's sounding great with the Q701. I don't listen very loudly though. I've had the volume between -20 and -15db which is about 80-85db. With LDAC it's sounding clear and extremely detailed, and the bass sounds right where it should be. It's not weak or rolled of or anything from a lack of power. I shortened an extra cable I had laying around and attached the ES100 to the Q701 with small pieces of Velcro. It seems to be holding, but I might add a zip-tie or two. It may not look the prettiest, but it works.

I presume that cable is DIY? I'm hoping to get my Sennheiser HD598s connected to ES100, but initial (few hours) googling did not turn out too well. I'm still looking for quality 3.5 - 3.5 cable that'd be short enough (10 - 20 cm), and 2.5 -> 3.5 mm adapter that'd would fit Sennheisers (twist lock removed). Or short 2.5 - 3.5 cable, but haven't found that either. Amazon is full of 4$ crap, and I'd like something little classier (AND I live in Europe, which doesn't seem to help).

I think best option would actually be balanced 2.5 - 2.5 mm cable, but TRRS "order" in sennheiser and ES100 seems to differ, and there's even conflicting information about Sennheisers TRRS, so this seems impossible..

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #5,549 of 6,675
I presume that cable is DIY? I'm hoping to get my Sennheiser HD598s connected to ES100, but initial (few hours) googling did not turn out too well. I'm still looking for quality 3.5 - 3.5 cable that'd be short enough (10 - 20 cm), and 2.5 -> 3.5 mm adapter that'd would fit Sennheisers (twist lock removed). Or short 2.5 - 3.5 cable, but haven't found that either. Amazon is full of 4$ crap, and I'd like something little classier (AND I live in Europe, which doesn't seem to help).

I think best option would actually be balanced 2.5 - 2.5 mm cable, but TRRS "order" in sennheiser and ES100 seems to differ, and there's even conflicting information about Sennheisers TRRS, so this seems impossible..
NewFantasia HiFi Cable with 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male for Sennheiser HD598 / HD558 / HD518 / HD598 Cs / HD599 / HD569 / HD579 Headphones and for Astell&Kern AK240 AK380 AK320 onkyo DP-X1 FIIO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075C9HXW5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qNLUDbJ54WG5H

Oct 31, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #5,550 of 6,675

Yea, the cable I'm using is just a chopped up and reterminated stock Q701 cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back