Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #3,783 of 6,675
Some kind of my 3 best purchases of the last year: Redmi Note 5 Pro (159$, 4/64 + sd card slot for tons of music, everything I need, 3 days for me without charging, works well with ES100, all bluetooth codecs, btw I prefer LDAC over aptX HD, no dropouts or any problems, I don't know how Xiaomi makes almost everything and do it well, seems because it's for Chinese market mostly), Pro82 (in top of the price kings + so comfortable) and of course ES100 (almost no analogues, I use it everywhere and with everything, it even sounds better than most of DACs in the same price range, only concern is 16bit via USB).
upload_2019-1-11_23-34-22.png

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #3,784 of 6,675
Could be a process in the background taking up cycles causing skips.

A reasonable assumption and I looked at that, but using utilities that show processor utilization, even down to the individual core, I can see that the processor is pretty much loafing along when playing music and there's no sign of any background process making things busy. Beyond that I don't know what else could be affecting the USB bus since obviously the ES100 is the only thing connected.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #3,785 of 6,675
.what innuendos? The bus port was obviously a typo.
My bad I guess? A few posts ago you suggested someone’s problem could be a dirty hole, at which point I wondered if yours was a joke account :darthsmile: But then I’m French, we’re trained to detect innuendos where there are none.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #3,786 of 6,675
My bad I guess? A few posts ago you suggested someone’s problem could be a dirty hole, at which point I wondered if yours was a joke account :darthsmile: But then I’m French, we’re trained to detect innuendos where there are none.

:ksc75smile: LMAO. I was being serious with a hint of joke. My phones have needed cleaning out because it is exposed to a lot more especially in my line of work. My ES100 Only sees the light when I am ready to jam though. Those dirty holes will get you. I've saved quite a few peeps cleaning their hole. :laughing: for real.

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #3,787 of 6,675
My initial impression of the Aiwa Prodigy 1s was umm... Bleh. My 6h of ownership summed up in one word; Intimate. (MP3s are intimate but sloppy. In a bad way. Like somebody breathing up your ear hole with snap crackle pops in their mouth hole.)

Hole is not my favorite word. Just have not taken these off for 4h.:smile_phones:

More intimate review coming soon.

Jan 11, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #3,788 of 6,675
So I got these earbuds, the Aiwa Prodigy 1. For $30. Didn't know they were $50 until shortly after I bought them. Anyways...

Opened the simple package. Read the instructions. Yes, people still do that. Popped them in my ES100. Sounded ok in certain genres off the bat but full bodied music with guitar, electric guitar and bass guitar was yucky. ~10mins later I decided to break them in on my LGV20 for a couple hours. 2h later I pop them in my earholes. Dafuq? Put them back in the ES100 real quick and was still kind of mushy but better. Listened about 20 mins back on my V20. After a few minutes of going back and forth with the AKG buds that came with my Note9 the AKGs were still the fun buds. The Prodigys looked like they were going to be for critical listening, classical and opera.

I have been jamming my Beyerdymanics 770 Pro 250s here and there lately. So luckily my JDS Labs C5D amp was out. Hmmm... YOLO right? Went back and forth with my V20 and Note9. Turned off bass boost and forgot high gain was on. Ran the gamut of all kinds of music. No country here. Sounded a lot better but mushy flat. Flicked some bass boost on and then flicked it higher. I can't believe what I am hearing. Tupac is throwing a symphony and nobody was invited. Started pushing the volume some and figured out gain was on. It stayed on. Thought these liked power at this point.

Fast forward about 2h later and figured out I was double EQ'd from Earstudio app. Set that to flat ASAP. I say ASAP in retrospect because my EQ in Neutron was still being dialed in. I was playing around with 10 and 20 parametric EQs and never have tried to dial in something so meticulously and maniacally. Time to pop back in the ES100.

Ever see a **** eating grin? Yeah. I had that. Still do. Breaking these in with some juice and bass really made a humongous difference. Who uses the word humongous? :smile_phones:

But seriously, the dynamic range really opened up. These now compete with dynamic range of my Beyer COPs on my amps. I always preferred over ear headphones because I did not think ear buds could replace a good headphone experience. But I am a newb to ear buds so take that with a grain of salt. I am still playing with the EQ. Trying to dial it in. Bass needs a small bump. I have been going back and forth between 500hz-1khz boost and cuts not because of lack of mids but because I want more. The highs are crispy like I like it. The reviews on Amazon are correct. MP3s wipe that grin off. Some of my high VBR and CBR 320 bitrates sound pretty good still, but if I have the FLAC it sounds noticeably better. The pretentious audiophiles who like to hear lip smacking and cracking will hate or love these. The bass is adequate and controlled? That is the best I could tell anybody on head fi. I am fortunate to have 2 12" Hsu subs for my home theater. Having multiple subs really changes your perspective on subwoofage. The mids are there all day. The treble isn't bright and definitely not ear fatiguing.

Anyways, I didn't know how fortunate I was to get these for $30. I would pay the $50, nay, I probably will pay $50 for backup. In my amateur opinion I think these would satiate most people without disposable income. I have not tried other tips. Might try one smaller but reviews say it might be a pain to change. A dash of EQ and these might be glued to your ears and ES100.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #3,789 of 6,675
20190112_132019-01-01.jpeg

this (Sony MH755) is really nice with the ES100.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #3,790 of 6,675
1.jpg I can recommend Sony MDR-1AM2 to ES-100. (an idea) More balanced sound than Am1. (it was a bit basshead) You can completely turn off the EQ, listen in a bit bit! . I use PC / Android / OTG / LDAC mainly with a balanced cable with it. (with a 4.4 / 2.5mm compiler)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #3,791 of 6,675
Is it possible to set it to automatically turn off when reach full charged? I sometimes forgot and leave it plug in with my battery and it kept on charging

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #3,792 of 6,675
Is it possible to set it to automatically turn off when reach full charged? I sometimes forgot and leave it plug in with my battery and it kept on charging

You can configure the app so it stops charging about 90% (and by doing so you're protecting battery). Anyway, try an smart charger, it should stop charging when battery is full if I'm not wrong

Jan 12, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #3,794 of 6,675
How did you make the carbon fiber wrap? (assuming you made it?)

i just bought carbon sticker roll and cut it freehand and applied it to the unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back