Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #3,752 of 6,675
My ES100 just passed away :frowning2: sound is distorting and the only option is an out of warranty repair. I'm thinking the same exact thing -- or maybe even springing for the M9.

How are you using the ES100? Which phone/dap and app?

Jan 8, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #3,755 of 6,675
Update- I'm an idiot, didn't use the Bluetooth pairing on the app after the update. I guess it matters, no issues now.

Yes, I just received a new unit which had 1.4.9 out of the box after updating to 2.0.2 I noticed that I had to initialize the unit through the app again, and also many settings were returned to default. Definitely something to check after any update.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #3,756 of 6,675
Screenshot_2019-01-09-00-33-14-469_com.aspiro.tidal.png

Tidal has updated Android app and now it's able to play mqa files! Not only this, I can play first song of an album or playlist wired, pause music, connect ES100 and listen to the whole album, apparently conserving master quality :astonished:

EDIT: It seems that when playing mqa files this way, not only it's possible to listen to the whole album/playlist, it's also possible to play mqa during whole session as if wired, changing playlist or listening to standard hi-fi tracks too in addition to mqa ones.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #3,757 of 6,675

Tidal has updated Android app and now it's able to play mqa files! Not only this, I can play first song of an album or playlist wired, pause music, connect ES100 and listen to the whole album, apparently conserving master quality :astonished:

EDIT: It seems that when playing mqa files this way, not only it's possible to listen to the whole album/playlist, it's also possible to play mqa during whole session as if wired, changing playlist or listening to standard hi-fi tracks too in addition to mqa ones.

What codec is the EarStudio app displaying when you are playing MQA tracks on the ES100? I’m guessing LDAC or whatever other codec you have chosen to default to based on what the ES100 supports.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #3,758 of 6,675
What codec is the EarStudio app displaying when you are playing MQA tracks on the ES100? I’m guessing LDAC or whatever other codec you have chosen to default to based on what the ES100 supports.

I always use LDAC:

Screenshot_2019-01-09-00-51-08-765_com.radsone.earstudio.png

EDIT: But I think it has more to do with Tidal app than with ES100 codec. Now playing using aptX HD:

Screenshot_2019-01-09-00-55-12-977_com.radsone.earstudio.png

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #3,759 of 6,675

Sorry to be a party poopers but the MQA files you are listening to on your Android device aren't quite as beautiful as they seem. What I mean is that due to Android native SRC, all audio is being resampled to 16/48. So, though the original file is of a better quality than before, it's still being processed by Android software before reaching either upur headphone jack or Bluetooth device. The only devices that are doing bit perfect Tidal Masters audio are the LG V30, G7, V40. Granted, the Masters files resampled to 16/48 should rheoretheoret sound a bit better than the 16/44 files being resampled

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,760 of 6,675
One thing I'm missing here is why we would care about a 16-bit limitation in the first place? The only thing increased bit depth can give you is dynamic range and there's just no way an ES100 and anything could possibly exceed what is already available at 16 bits (assuming such content was even present in the source material in the first place which is highly unlikely.) Where is there a possible meaningful application of 'HD' audio in this case? (or anywhere for that matter, but especially here.)

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:32 PM Post #3,761 of 6,675
If you can connect your phone to the ES100 via usb out via UAPP which is capable of bit perfect playback and MQA decoding, MQA should be audible through the EarStudio. (according to UAPP info.}

Jan 9, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #3,762 of 6,675
So I got this and am happy with it so far with my Iphone.
Meanwhile I can not connect it to my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
The app keeps on searching and is not able to find the es100.
Anybody having this problem, and if so knows the workaround? No issues with iphone, only Samsung Note 8

Jan 9, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #3,763 of 6,675
Anybody having this problem, and if so knows the workaround? No issues with iphone, only Samsung Note 8
Do you have another android phone you could test it on? I could ask my brother to download it on his and I’ll connect my es100 to try it out.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #3,764 of 6,675
Good day guys! Theres a small plastic bit that started falling out in this part. What remedy did you do for that?_20190109_145956.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #3,765 of 6,675
Just to be clear because you mentioned the app — are you trying to pair the ES100 with the Note 8, or already paired and trying to connect to the app? I've used the ES100 with different models of Samsung phones at work without a problem. Is your iPhone nearby while you're trying to do this? It might be auto connecting too quickly to your iPhone. Try turning off the bluetooth on your iPhone before you try to pair it with the Note 8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back