Radsone EarStudio ES100
Dec 20, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #3,571 of 6,675
To me the ES100 is my best audio purchase this year. I hardly use any of my DAPs anymore.

That's quite the endorsement, especially considering the DAPs that you have experience with.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #3,572 of 6,675
That's quite the endorsement, especially considering the DAPs that you have experience with.

@waynes world I am curious about what DAPs you think would be worse / equivalent / better than the ES100. I have paired my ES100 with HD650s in balanced 2x mode from an iPhone so I’m listening to CD quality Tidal resampled to AAC.

It sounds great but I have been toying with getting an R6Pro or SR15 so I can listen to Tidal Masters MQA or Qobuz HiRes directly. That would improve the file source, bypass resampling and Bluetooth, and should improve SQ from a better rig with improved DACs and components. But, I would be interested in your thoughts as I have appreciated many of your posts.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #3,573 of 6,675
* * * Feature request * * *

Being able to listen to ambient sound even when audio is paused!

I hate having to remove my Etymotic deep insert in-ears and break the seal when I want to hear what someone has to say. If I long press forward to listen to ambient sound only I will miss parts of the audiobook I'm listening to.

Brgds... /Thomas

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #3,574 of 6,675
Just finish making another 2.5mm short balanced cable, with the Etymotic mmcx connector this time as well as a pre-molded right angled plug.

DSC_0147.JPG

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #3,575 of 6,675
@waynes world I am curious about what DAPs you think would be worse / equivalent / better than the ES100. I have paired my ES100 with HD650s in balanced 2x mode from an iPhone so I’m listening to CD quality Tidal resampled to AAC.

It sounds great but I have been toying with getting an R6Pro or SR15 so I can listen to Tidal Masters MQA or Qobuz HiRes directly. That would improve the file source, bypass resampling and Bluetooth, and should improve SQ from a better rig with improved DACs and components. But, I would be interested in your thoughts as I have appreciated many of your posts.

Hi Irish! I only have experience with budget-fi DAPs such as the Xeulin 770, Xduuo X3 and Colorfly C3. I am actually impressed every time I use them (especially the 770 and C3), but the ES100 sounds as good/better to my ears, and the convenience, size and weight of the ES100 seals the deal, so my DAPs get limited use. I also don't listen to my higher impedance headphones with the ES100 very often, but I think when I have, I have been pleasantly surprised by how they sound off of the ES100, but knowing that an amp would bring out the best in them. In fact, I just threw on the Sextetts (600ohm) onto the ES100 and yes, they sound good and can even get loud enough (suprisingly). I then threw the Cayin C5 amp into the equation, and that brought them to life with increased impact, dynamics, layering etc, and now I can't take them off my head lol. I'm not sure how the HD650's compare, but it's possible that they simply benefit from more power and that a more powerful DAP may be the way for you to go (and listening to higher res probably wouldn't hurt either).

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #3,576 of 6,675
Just finish making another 2.5mm short balanced cable, with the Etymotic mmcx connector this time as well as a pre-molded right angled plug.

Keep this up and you're going to force me to learn how to do my own cabling! Nice work :)

Dec 21, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #3,577 of 6,675

Wow -- that is one nice cable. Where do you get your supplies?

Is there anything special you do at the MMCX connectors for strain relief, or are they good enough when assembled?

Dec 21, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #3,578 of 6,675
Wow -- that is one nice cable. Where do you get your supplies?

Is there anything special you do at the MMCX connectors for strain relief, or are they good enough when assembled?

Found the cable on Taobao, it was supposed to be stock cable for an Japanese headphone brand. It was originally normal length (1.2m or so), but I cut it short (50cm) and put in a new Y splitter and chin slider. I added a small metal clip to the cable inside the MMCX connector for strain relief, then the cable and the metal clip is UV glued / sealed to the connector to add more strength.

Dec 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #3,579 of 6,675

Found the cable on Taobao, it was supposed to be stock cable for an Japanese headphone brand. It was originally normal length (1.2m or so), but I cut it short (50cm) and put in a new Y splitter and chin slider. I added a small metal clip to the cable inside the MMCX connector for strain relief, then the cable and the metal clip is UV glued / sealed to the connector to add more strength.

That's a thing of beauty.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #3,580 of 6,675
Thanks for the info.

That UV glue is a miracle in a tube. I use it all the time, so good tip to know.

Dec 21, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #3,581 of 6,675
* * * Feature request * * *

Being able to listen to ambient sound even when audio is paused!

I hate having to remove my Etymotic deep insert in-ears and break the seal when I want to hear what someone has to say. If I long press forward to listen to ambient sound only I will miss parts of the audiobook I'm listening to.

Brgds... /Thomas

Two days ago, playing with the music and mic volumes in the app, I suddenly noticed that I was able to listen to a low-volume intimate conversation, like 5-7 meters away with some amient noise (never wanted to spy on anyone!) :darthsmile:

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #3,582 of 6,675
I've tried it with my oneplus 6T, at first it also didn't work, but after I turned on the OTG option in the phone, it now works. Also, check your usb cable, use the stock one if you can, because some cables only does charging and not data.
Dumb question, but maybe someone knows: I can't get my Earstudio to work as a USB DAC on my macbook pro with any other micro USB cable than the stock one. Other micro USB cables I have will charge but not provide the DAC function. I'd like to get an additional (perhaps longer) cable to keep attached to a desktop computer; what does that cable need in order to work with the Earstudio as a USB DAC?

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,583 of 6,675
Dumb question, but maybe someone knows: I can't get my Earstudio to work as a USB DAC on my macbook pro with any other micro USB cable than the stock one. Other micro USB cables I have will charge but not provide the DAC function. I'd like to get an additional (perhaps longer) cable to keep attached to a desktop computer; what does that cable need in order to work with the Earstudio as a USB DAC?
This is the cable I use currently use: https://www.amazon.com/RAMPOW-Micro...B01GJC4WRO?ref_=w_bl_hsx_s_wi_web_14483854011
It does work on my phone, but don't know if it works well with macs, it is a pretty solid cable and has a lifetime warranty. You need a USB cable that can transfer data as well as provide charges.

Dec 22, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #3,584 of 6,675
Any of the Anker brand USB cables found on Amazon will do data transfer (along with charging).

Dec 24, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #3,585 of 6,675
Does anybody know if ES100 is good for watching movies? I am thinking to get a bluetooth transmitter for my TV and watch netflix using my HD600. However, I am not sure if the latency will be acceptable or not because there is no APTX-LL support on ES100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back