Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 10, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2,596 of 6,675
...has also enabled use of other IEM's with my iPhone that I didn't use before even when I did have a headphone jack because it didn't power them well enough (KEF M200, for example).

Wondered how you thought the ES100 compared to the headphone output on the iPhone (or the adaptor) with more sensitive headphones? Tempted to get one but I find the IPhone quite good already.

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #2,597 of 6,675
Does anyone own a Cayin N5ii and can compare it to the ES100?

Something I've always disliked about BT is the compression on both ends and basically reduces sub-bass and upper treble sparkle to non-existence. Basically makes my FLAC files irrelevant.

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #2,598 of 6,675

Something I've always disliked about BT is the compression on both ends and basically reduces sub-bass and upper treble sparkle to non-existence. Basically makes my FLAC files irrelevant.

I can't compare to the N5ii, but I'm pretty sure that the ES100 (via LDAC) would make your FLAC files relevant again, and would make you a believer in BT.

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,599 of 6,675
Mine is like this:

JQDqd6VV.jpg

fkzVdsNi.jpg

By the way, is it possible to change direction of its clip. I think it will be more convenient to attach it to my shirt if the clip is upside down.

Looks great, thanks for sharing. I'll take a look at it.

I saw a review on Amazon where the guy said he thought the ES100 sounded better than even the Da3.

I had both SMSL Idea and the Sabaj da3, as well as the DFR and DFB.
Now I am using ES100 and it seems to work so much better, not only technically but also music wise and in a big margin to my ears. More detailed, better resolution, more power to push my gear than both the Idea and Da3.

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #2,600 of 6,675
Wondered how you thought the ES100 compared to the headphone output on the iPhone (or the adaptor) with more sensitive headphones? Tempted to get one but I find the IPhone quite good already.

I use Iphone 6 Plus and Westone W30 daily. IMHO, I felt the iPhone sounded better than the ES100 in this setup. That being said, when I finally upgrade to an iPhone without a headphone jack, I'd be perfectly happy with the ES100 for my daily commute.

Sep 10, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2,601 of 6,675

The iPhone output through lightning has a bit more bass and a bit less detail. Honestly, I could go with either, and depending on the track, that extra bass can be welcome. The iPhone is also more forgiving to poor recordings. That said, wire free phone is great.

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,602 of 6,675

I indeed have both. The N5ii is a class above the ES100 without a doubt, HOWEVER the ES100 is itself a class above every Bluetooth audio device I've ever used. The key feature for the ES100 is the combination of the dual AK dac/amps with the latest high bandwidth Bluetooth codecs. LDAC theoretically enables a 24/96 steam over Bluetooth and aptxHD allows for 24/48, so the ES100 will be able to steam FLAC of many common bitrates without compression. Once received, the ES100 has the dac chops to output high res.

NOW the critical consideration is what device you'll use for transmitting. Not all phones or daps support LDAC or aptxHD, so for transmitting device will define the maximum resolution you get out of your ES100. For example, the N5ii doesn't officially support any high bandwidth Bluetooth codecs and only unofficially supports regular aptx, so it could only ever provide the ES100 with a 16/44 stream at best. In contrast, the Pixel 2 XL supports LDAC and happily streams high res flac to the ES100.

Sep 10, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,603 of 6,675
I indeed have both. The N5ii is a class above the ES100 without a doubt, HOWEVER the ES100 is itself a class above every Bluetooth audio device I've ever used. The key feature for the ES100 is the combination of the dual AK dac/amps with the latest high bandwidth Bluetooth codecs. LDAC theoretically enables a 24/96 steam over Bluetooth and aptxHD allows for 24/48, so the ES100 will be able to steam FLAC of many common bitrates without compression. Once received, the ES100 has the dac chops to output high res.

NOW the critical consideration is what device you'll use for transmitting. Not all phones or daps support LDAC or aptxHD, so for transmitting device will define the maximum resolution you get out of your ES100. For example, the N5ii doesn't officially support any high bandwidth Bluetooth codecs and only unofficially supports regular aptx, so it could only ever provide the ES100 with a 16/44 stream at best. In contrast, the Pixel 2 XL supports LDAC and happily streams high res flac to the ES100.

Thanks for the info! Your post was very informative.

I’ll be using an iPhone X with AAC -_-; Trying to maximize convenience by using my phone.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,604 of 6,675
Thanks for the info! Your post was very informative.

I’ll be using an iPhone X with AAC -_-; Trying to maximize convenience by using my phone.
I'll have to double check if the ES100 supports AAC, but if so it should be a good pairing with your iPhone. If not, the experience would be very similar to your past encounters with Bluetooth.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,605 of 6,675
The iPhone does support AAC. Sound is great.

Sep 10, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #2,607 of 6,675
I'll have to double check if the ES100 supports AAC, but if so it should be a good pairing with your iPhone. If not, the experience would be very similar to your past encounters with Bluetooth.
It supports AAC and it sounds really good as good as the aptx HD on the ES100 to me, I can't describe exactly how Ldac is better but it sounds dam good.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #2,608 of 6,675
It supports AAC and it sounds really good as good as the aptx HD on the ES100 to me, I can't describe exactly how Ldac is better but it sounds dam good.
Excellent, @Colors sounds like you're good to go.

Sep 10, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #2,609 of 6,675
I have a Sony Xperia Z3 with bit perfect USB audio wired to an ifi xDSD doing balanced output. Loving this Burr Brown implementation.

Nice! I used to have the Xperia Z3 as well. It was one of the best phones ever. Loved it!

That one actually had a pretty good DUAL DAC on it, but since then it SEEMS that Sony Mobile has gone back to using a single DAC I think? Can't remember now. But yeah if I had a Sony Xperia phone now I'd use the ES100 for sure. The Z3 and even the Xperia phones now still have a weak amp vs. LG V30, so the ES100 comes in handy there too.

Yeah ifi xDSD is great too. And balanced as well. I don't know if I could tell the difference between Burr Brown and Sabre though?

Sep 10, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #2,610 of 6,675
Da2. Less power than dfr, but definitely sounds better. Better staging, overall preswntprese, width, depth, musicality. It's the chips being used. Dfr is k2m I believe, while Da2 is Q2C. As in not a mobile DAC. Suprised the crap out of me, expect for $80. But again, the battery drain. A former phone, on airplane mode, dead in about 7-8hrs. On the DFR, looking at double that time, easy. But,an Da2 sounded sweet, of you enjoy Sabre sound. Fell more in love with some more musical DACs. Unbalanced, the Es100 still sounds very good using LDAC. Don't know if I mentioned that part. Android 8.0 phones so runnknr LDAC. Definitely noticed a difference even agaisna APTX HD. The ES100 is more "musical" than the DFR. DFR has great treble sparkle, "detail", I like it, but staging is more intimate than Da2 and definitely more cold than es100. Es100 is more fun. AK vs Sabre sound. Also, DFR is a little light in the lower freq. Nothing missing, but wish there was more slam sith cwrtcer genres. Instruments sparkle beautifully, but as I said, it's a colder sound. Es100 is a good all arounder using LDAC, APTX HD a little less. But if not on LDAC, itsi definitely not in the same ballpark. Wired vs wireless detail retrieval not a fair comparison on general

Wow.........how is that possible that the Da2 sounds better than the DFR? More battery efficient yes, but better sounding too???

I think I'm going to remove the DFR off my "running list" of devices then. lol And the Da3 too?? What do you think?

But def keeping the ES100 and Da2 on there. So you think ES100 + LDAC can match Da2, or no?

BTW check my profile pic. Da2 to JDS Labs C5. That WAS my portable rig before I boughty if XDSD. New profile pic coming soon.

Yeah looks nice! Those are all great brands too. I used to have the FiiO E11k (now known as the A3) for a while a few years ago. Really great amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back