Radsone EarStudio ES100
Sep 10, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,611 of 6,675
Looks great, thanks for sharing. I'll take a look at it.

I had both SMSL Idea and the Sabaj da3, as well as the DFR and DFB.
Now I am using ES100 and it seems to work so much better, not only technically but also music wise and in a big margin to my ears. More detailed, better resolution, more power to push my gear than both the Idea and Da3.

This is INSANE news! lol I HAVE to believe that the ES100 having 2 DACs is making the difference, but also, it's having perhaps 2 newer and better and newer (by about 3-4 mos) DACs as well too, since the Da3 also has dual DACs.

Devodonaldson was just sayin' the Da2 sounds better than the DFR too. How do you think the Da2 compares to the Da3?

By your answer I'll know what you think of Da2 vs. ES100 too. lol Just trying to establish a ranking here. So far DFR is basically off the list, but trying to rank ES100, Da3, and Da2.

Sep 10, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,612 of 6,675
Nice! I used to have the Xperia Z3 as well. It was one of the best phones ever. Loved it!

That one actually had a pretty good DUAL DAC on it, but since then it SEEMS that Sony Mobile has gone back to using a single DAC I think? Can't remember now. But yeah if I had a Sony Xperia phone now I'd use the ES100 for sure. The Z3 and even the Xperia phones now still have a weak amp vs. LG V30, so the ES100 comes in handy there too.

Yeah ifi xDSD is great too. And balanced as well. I don't know if I could tell the difference between Burr Brown and Sabre though?
Very easy to tell the difference. Burr Brown is warmer, more musical. In general I find Sabre DACs detailed but cold. Not as smooth, but you hear the very top of the treble scale on each note

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,613 of 6,675
This is INSANE news! lol I HAVE to believe that the ES100 having 2 DACs is making the difference, but also, it's having perhaps 2 newer and better and newer (by about 3-4 mos) DACs as well too, since the Da3 also has dual DACs.

Devodonaldson was just sayin' the Da2 sounds better than the DFR too. How do you think the Da2 compares to the Da3?

By your answer I'll know what you think of Da2 vs. ES100 too. lol Just trying to establish a ranking here. So far DFR is basically off the list, but trying to rank ES100, Da3, and Da2.
IIhad Da3 as well. Da is better than Da2, but they are both power hungry. Da3 doesn't work off of micro usn, as it doesn't offer enough power to the device. You need to be running USB C. It's gonna run down your phone battery quickly though. Dual Q2C DAC which is desktop. Great detailed sounding, great staging. Colder than the ES100 for sure. I like the eq with the es100. Da3 is wired, so you automatically get better resolution va the es100

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #2,614 of 6,675
Very easy to tell the difference. Burr Brown is warmer, more musical. In general I find Sabre DACs detailed but cold. Not as smooth, but you hear the very top of the treble scale on each note

Hmm, interesting. Sounds like a trade-off................I HATE trade-offs. LOL

I want both Devo!!! I guess if I had to choose it would be Burr Brown, but I REALLY like my treble region detail too. But I guess that's what EQ'ing is for, right? lol

IIhad Da3 as well. Da is better than Da2, but they are both power hungry. Da3 doesn't work off of micro usn, as it doesn't offer enough power to the device. You need to be running USB C. It's gonna run down your phone battery quickly though. Dual Q2C DAC which is desktop. Great detailed sounding, great staging. Colder than the ES100 for sure. I like the eq with the es100. Da3 is wired, so you automatically get better resolution va the es100

So Da3 is better than Da2, but Da2 is better than the DFR. NUTSO!!

Well if I get Da3 yeah I'd make sure to use a USB-C to USB-C cable. But I dunno if I like "cold" though. So maybe ES100 is best then? I would of course EQ as I have my own custom EQs I developed for my Beyer DT 1770 Pro, and of course would ONLY use LDAC as well. Niron was just sayin' he thought the ES100 actually sounds better than the Da3 too. lol So that makes me think the ES100 is best. Plus as an added bonus I can take calls with the ES100, which I can't do currently with my cable.

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,615 of 6,675
Did I lost something? I forget to check my chest skin...probably by sweating IMG_1908.JPG

Could someone please teach me how to switch between connected sources? example between PC and phone, press some button to play the other device sound?

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #2,616 of 6,675
Did I lost something? I forget to check my chest skin...probably by sweating

Could someone please teach me how to switch between connected sources? example between PC and phone, press some button to play the other device sound?
You're a sweaty beast that eats logos!

Go download the user manual off the website. Has all the instructions you require.

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #2,618 of 6,675
Hmm, interesting. Sounds like a trade-off................I HATE trade-offs. LOL

I want both Devo!!! I guess if I had to choose it would be Burr Brown, but I REALLY like my treble region detail too. But I guess that's what EQ'ing is for, right? lol

So Da3 is better than Da2, but Da2 is better than the DFR. NUTSO!!

Well if I get Da3 yeah I'd make sure to use a USB-C to USB-C cable. But I dunno if I like "cold" though. So maybe ES100 is best then? I would of course EQ as I have my own custom EQs I developed for my Beyer DT 1770 Pro, and of course would ONLY use LDAC as well. Niron was just sayin' he thought the ES100 actually sounds better than the Da3 too. lol So that makes me think the ES100 is best. Plus as an added bonus I can take calls with the ES100, which I can't do currently with my cable.
Choosing between DAC signatures is about preference. I like the Sabaj Sabre DWCs over the Audioquest Sabre DACs. Burr Brown sound is still detailed, don't get me wrong. It all depends on what phones yourey using. My iSines show everything while my Audioquest headphones are much warmer. Still show everything but not as bright. I found the Audioquest Nightowl with Boost pads too bright with the DFR But sounds amazing with my Burr Brown based xDSD. DFR is super at detail retrieval on instruments but definitely sounds colder, less spacious than others. Da2 and Da3 have a bigger sound the an the DFR. ES100 doesn't have suite the same treble sparkles, but it is still nice and detailed using LDAC. Different signatures, just like different headphones have different signatures. People love the mono, but it's the warmest of them all

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #2,619 of 6,675
The ES100 doesn't have multipoint capability (nor do most Bluetooth headphones — connect to more than one device simultaneously and automatically switch to the one that is playing). Without multipoint, switching is not easy. You have to manually disconnect Bluetooth on the first device and connect on the second.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #2,620 of 6,675
The ES100 doesn't have multipoint capability (nor do most Bluetooth headphones — connect to more than one device simultaneously and automatically switch to the one that is playing). Without multipoint, switching is not easy. You have to manually disconnect Bluetooth on the first device and connect on the second.
Are you sure about that? I often have it connected to both my v30 and my Samsung J3 as a day all the time. Switching back and forth between both devices seeing if it sounds any different. Both devices Are on Android 8.0, so maybe that has something to do with it

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,621 of 6,675
Choosing between DAC signatures is about preference. I like the Sabaj Sabre DWCs over the Audioquest Sabre DACs. Burr Brown sound is still detailed, don't get me wrong. It all depends on what phones yourey using. My iSines show everything while my Audioquest headphones are much warmer. Still show everything but not as bright. I found the Audioquest Nightowl with Boost pads too bright with the DFR But sounds amazing with my Burr Brown based xDSD. DFR is super at detail retrieval on instruments but definitely sounds colder, less spacious than others. Da2 and Da3 have a bigger sound the an the DFR. ES100 doesn't have quite the same treble sparkles, but it is still nice and detailed using LDAC. Different signatures, just like different headphones have different signatures. People love the mono, but it's the warmest of them all

Very interesting Devo!

Ok I think I might've gotten my wires crossed earlier since you and another person on here was talking to me about these devices. The Burr Brown is only on the IFI right?

See some ppl are saying the ES100 is better than even the Da2 or Da3, while others are saying no. But everyone seems to think they outdo the DFR! lol

I guess I would prob just either get the Da2 or Da3 (prob Da3 cuz it sounds better, but does it drain more battery than Da2??) and also the ES100 and compare them for myself. lol

Thanks!!!

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,622 of 6,675
Are you sure about that? I often have it connected to both my v30 and my Samsung J3 as a day all the time. Switching back and forth between both devices seeing if it sounds any different. Both devices Are on Android 8.0, so maybe that has something to do with it
Ah, you're right! I couldn't get it to work when I tried a few weeks ago. I just tried again and it's working now. I don't know what I could have done differently before.

So, with PC and phone, have both connected to the ES100 on Bluetooth. To switch between devices, hit pause/stop on the playing device, and hit play on the device you want to switch to. For example, to switch from PC to phone: start a music player on the PC and you should hear it through the ES100. Now hit pause/stop on the player. On the phone, hit play in a music player and now you hear the phone on the ES100.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #2,623 of 6,675
Thank you, sometimes I can directly play the music on the other device, it will switch source. Sometimes I need to turn off bluetooth of the first device to force it connect to the second one.

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #2,624 of 6,675
Thank you, sometimes I can directly play the music on the other device, it will switch source. Sometimes I need to turn off bluetooth of the first device to force it connect to the second one.
I just posted that it's working for me now (don't know why it didn't work before). When I switch the source, sometimes I hear no sound for about 5 seconds, but then it picks up (maybe buffering?).

Sep 11, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #2,625 of 6,675
Very interesting Devo!

Ok I think I might've gotten my wires crossed earlier since you and another person on here was talking to me about these devices. The Burr Brown is only on the IFI right?

See some ppl are saying the ES100 is better than even the Da2 or Da3, while others are saying no. But everyone seems to think they outdo the DFR! lol

I guess I would prob just either get the Da2 or Da3 (prob Da3 cuz it sounds better, but does it drain more battery than Da2??) and also the ES100 and compare them for myself. lol

Thanks!!!
Borh Da2 and Da3 are using non mobile versions of DACs that have to be powered by your device. The DA3 has LEDs and is running a dual DAC system. It burns a significant amount more battery than even the Da2, which is why it doesn't work over microusb. Not enough power output. They are wired aolutisol that have the capability to run lossless audio at much higher resolutions than the es100. Using LDAC the es100 is a good DAC implementation with lossy, but good resolution at 24-bit. The built in eq, and digital filters add to little sound changes that can beade on the fly using the app. And, using Bluetooth LE it's gonna eat MUCH less of your battery than either of those Sabaj DACs. If you like to use your phone at all, I'd get the es100 and be happy. The DA3 has the best staging out of the 3, easy, but lack of eq, etc, makes it less versatile than the es100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back