1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Radsone EarStudio ES100

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by m4rkw, Dec 12, 2017.
First

Back
166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175
177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186
Next

Last
  1. sideways
    Absolutely not...no...that's not what I said...

I'm a Sabre dac fan...to me when I'm listening through a Sabre dac I'm not listening to the dac...it gets out of the way...it's liquid...fluid...neutral...natural...

All other dacs I can honestly say that I am "listening" to a dac...

The thing about the ES100 is that it's done so well that you forget the dac signature after a few songs and can just sit...listen...and enjoy...I hope that makes sense LOL!!

I have no experience with DFR sorry...

2. Koolpep
    My experience with DACs is that the generalizations:

Sabre - cool and bright
    Wolfson - warm
    BurrBrown - etc etc. bla bla
    AKM - this and that

are usually not accurate. It depends more on the attached amp and overall implementation and filters used etc. - you can make any DAC sound bright or warm depending on the implementation and choices you make while designing the Amp/DAC combo.

I had bright Wolfson 8740's and warm liquid and lush Sabre 9018s - so for me - it just doesn't work and is mostly expectation bias.

Just my own personal opinon after decades music enjoyment.

Cheers.

3. Devodonaldson
    While that is very true, the above impressions are generalizations. There Are plenty of exceptions, but that is the general consensus on implementation of said DAC chips

scotvl, RockStar2005 and Koolpep like this.
  4. Koolpep
    I agree that this is general consensus - and I agree on the plenty of exceptions - which is my point. :L3000: What good is the consensus if there are plenty of exceptions, haha.

Anyhow - I hear you and as a rule of thump it's ok but people shouldn't take it as gospel.

RockStar2005 and monsieurfromag3 like this.
  5. RockStar2005
    So just to be clear, if you use a USB-C to USB-C (both side male) cable, that's ok for Da3?

Well I downsample ALL my CD-Quality FLAC and Hi-Res FLAC albums/tracks that I buy to 256-512 kbps AAC b/c I've found through statistical fact and my own experience that you can't tell a difference, so for me lossy is fine just as long as it's not taken down to the sub-AAC level (aka mp3 lol). But what I've found in the past and even recent with BT is that you get a "veiled" sound vs. wired where it sounds open and clear. But it sounds like the ES100 b/c it's using LDAC and a wired connection to the headphones doesn't have that issue. Would you (or anyone reading this) agree???

Yeah I use EQ and the digital filters on my LG V30 (only 2 available) too.

Yeah sounds like the ES100 is definitely more battery friendly than the Da2 or Da3. But I guess because I'm getting mixed reviews here I may have to test out all 3 (or at least Da2 and ES100) myself.

Yeah but I EQ using my Poweramp app, so I'd still be able to with Da3. But yes, that power issue means I'd prob have to my quick charger with me when I travel. lol At home though I tend to listen at night before bed and by then I'd be charging it anyway, so Da3 is not out of the question for me.

So for you Devo it's Da3, Da2, the ES100? Or is Da2 below ES100?

6. RockStar2005
    Oh ok. But ok how about this.............do you feel the ES100 sounds AS GOOD as other WIRED-based DACs (aka no BT involved)? By "as good" I mean do you still get that "veiled BT sound" with the ES100, or does it sound clear and detailed like wired-based DACs normally do??

7. scotvl
    The ES100 doesn't get it the way if that's what you're asking, it's hard to compare it to DAPs that cost hundreds more but it's pretty close unbelievably and an audiophile portable bargain to be sure.

8. waynes world
    ES100 <> "veiled BT sound" lol

Well, at least for me. I don't have golden ears, and I haven't heard any high-end DAPS, but I was using a inexpensive usb dac (zuperdac) with my phone for a while, and the SQ made me happy but the functionality was a pain. I thought that I would need to get a high-end DAP, and I was under the assumption that BT sucked. But then I discovered the ES100, and all I can say is HALLELUJAH. To me it sounds awesome, it has incredible functionality, it allows me to have the freedom of BT but still allows me to use all of my wired gear, the radsone support is amazing, and it has and will continue to save me a lot of money.

9. Devodonaldson
    Most of the people that ask are also asking about low cost, standard implemented DAC chips without special tuning, etc. In those applications, the previously mentioned impressions ring true nearly all the time. Sabaj, Audioquest, Oppo portable, hifimediy. This are pretty close to plug and play with non-signature changing amplification stages. Once you get into high level DAP implementation or desktop with various amp components, that's where you get changes from the generalizations

10. Devodonaldson
    What a question. I'd go Da3, ES100 (for variability and different DAC implementation and amp staging), Da2. Da2 is is like Da3 light, so same sig but not as good. For the record, I'm a warm presentation fan. LDAC does not equal wired hi-res, but it's the best bluetooBl implwmwnimplem and is wholly acceptable as a good enough alternative for non-high end application. 4 filters and 10 band eq is awesome. Regarding your statsmwst of not being able to hear the difference with flac, I also notice you use poweramo, meaning Android SRC is still handling the handover of the audio. My device is pure bit-perfect, so I'm able to here little differences better Because the Android system is not touching the files at all. Just saying. Sabaj DACs are more neutral with sparkle. The DA3 with it's dual Q2C DACs and lack of compression is definitely the winner. USB-C is able to output enough power to power the DA3 without issue, but without bit-perfect playback, the differences aren't as clear. listening to Da3 on my bit-perfect z3 vs my Galaxy s9 was nowhere near the same. With s9 sounded better than from s9 but staging, sparkle, mid presence wasn't nearly as good, wide, as from my Z3. UAPP will do a better job with your locally stored files

RockStar2005 likes this.
  11. peter123
    I'll have to resperespectfully disagree with these comparisons of chips. In my experience the chip used is just a very small part of what makes the final sound. I've got a lol of Sabre based dac's that sounds extremely different from each other, much more so than some Sabre based compared to Wolfson or AK based ones.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  12. peter123
    This is exactly my experience as well.

13. Devodonaldson
    I further explained later that this is most twllite in cheaper applications that don't have really any good custom tuning added, for example Sabaj, or hifimediy application of Sabre DAC and Amp staging. No tuning added just plug and play for the most part

14. RockStar2005
    Yeah, the overall implementation does matter a lot too. But it's hard to refer to or classify them by name. lol

15. RockStar2005
    What does <> mean?? lol

Ok so how about this: ES100 vs. the Zuperdac, which one sounded better to you?

First

Back
166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175
177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186
Next

Last