Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #1,861 of 6,675
Replay gain is a feature of many music players, fwiw

You're right, I use Neutron player, which has both Replay Gain and Auto Gain Protection, along with a much better cross-feed.

I suggest Auto Gain Protection on the device because it is tied to the eq on the device and it's easy, especially for the uninitiated to eqs.

What's up with the cross-feed btw ? , It just seems to reduce volume a little and only mildly effect spatial imaging.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #1,862 of 6,675
This is probably going to be controversial, but have you seen the performance graphs now in the App?

Using a test signal just under 1KHz, it shows the noise generated by each different codec.

I am surprised by a few things, like the very poor performance of iOS vs Galaxy S9, both using the AAC codec. - although they both made a bit of a mess from a single tone.

I don't know that using a simple tone can tell us much about the real world performance of a codec, but it does indicate that the noise floor of the ES100 is pretty low, so using LDAC is worthwhile.

I'm still using Apt X HD, which does seem to be just a better Apt X - clearly not as good as LDAC though.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,863 of 6,675
so theres a couple things that come to mind here.

1) i'd love to see various measurements of this device, plus a BUNCH of others (various bluetooth IEM cables and devices)

2) if it sounds "good enough" regardless of what the measurements say, i dont think i'd really care.

3) havent checked out the app in depth, but how would the app measure its own hardware's output?

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #1,864 of 6,675
3) havent checked out the app in depth, but how would the app measure its own hardware's output?
It doesn't. The graphs are documentation of lab measurements.

(Sorry to post the full image. The thumbnail doesn't seem to work correctly for an image of these dimensions).

Screenshot_20180728-235356_EarStudio.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,865 of 6,675
Jesus.... What is ios doing?II read the psychoacoustic part but anyone got some reading material about what all that means and why it can't be translated to frequency response chart?

Also thanks for letting me know I need ldac. Guess I'll be neurotic about that for the next year or two.

LG v20 should be getting Android oreo soonish though, should have support by then, if only in software.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #1,866 of 6,675
Jesus.... What is ios doing?II read the psychoacoustic part but anyone got some reading material about what all that means and why it can't be translated to frequency response chart?

Also thanks for letting me know I need ldac. Guess I'll be neurotic about that for the next year or two.

LG v20 should be getting Android oreo soonish though, should have support by then, if only in software.

I'm also a V20 user, is that something you read or just some wishful thinking? It would be cool if it happened, but I wouldn't have thought LG would look back that far.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:24 AM Post #1,867 of 6,675
Ldac and aptx hd are both included as part of the android oreo Bluetooth stack. LG has released oreo for Korean v20 and expect to have us version rollout October 7th or so. So maybe a couple months more for carrier specific updates.

We won't have a hardware codec chip for doing it so there might be Cpu or battery related issues in using ldac, but it should definitely work.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #1,868 of 6,675
Ok after a Swedish guy came in our store in Amsterdam with the Radon EarStudio I ordered one today, to check it out myself ..
Will let you know how it goes, it looked like a great companion for an head-fier!

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,869 of 6,675
I was mistaken, its SEPTEMBER 7th for oreo for all v20's, not october. but im pretty sure carrier specific wont roll out for a while.

im still holding out for lineage OS to get second screen working flawlessly, but if they havent gotten it down by then i'll probably end up on a new phone anyways.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #1,871 of 6,675
I have the ES100 connected to the phone w/ an OTG cable, How do I select it as a sound device?
I don't think there is a need for OTG cable
Go to Google Play look for EarStudio App; download that
Turn on your bluetooth and connect to EarStudio ES100; that's it.
If you want to use LDAC, you need to update to the latest version 1.3 I think, and you need Oreo 8.0

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,872 of 6,675
The audio test device used for the codec comparison is capable of doing a multi-tone test, which may well produce results that are a bit more representative of a real world scenario.

A single tone encode/ decode for lossy codecs is probably a very specific case.

@wslee are the graphs any different for a multi-tone test?

I feel that 997 Hz is chosen to try avoid any digital symmetry, multi-tone assymetric like some prime numbers might be better real-world estimation, although it might not.

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #1,873 of 6,675
997hz is just standard test tone. But aptx is especially bad at HF. It's worth posting sweep tone spectrogram - that would show noise at all frequencies and not just one.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #1,874 of 6,675
997hz is just standard test tone. But aptx is especially bad at HF. It's worth posting sweep tone spectrogram - that would show noise at all frequencies and not just one.

997 is prime for a reason, it makes a standard test tone that avoids resonances with digital sample rates.

I agree that AptX is particularly bad at HF, definitely worth a sweep test, although we're testing codec noise artifacts, they probably need to be coding more than one sine wave at a time for a chance at a fair comparison.

Information complexity is relevant for a codec test, but purity of signal is required, so it needs to be a generator.

I think both the sweep and multi-tone.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,875 of 6,675
I have the ES100 connected to the phone w/ an OTG cable, How do I select it as a sound device?
I just tried it — works for me automatically on Galaxy S9. I connected an OTG cable from the phone to ES100 and it started playing through USB without doing anything else. Maybe make sure that your phone isn't prioritizing Bluetooth connection (try disconnecting Bluetooth or turn it off).
I don't think there is a need for OTG cable
Go to Google Play look for EarStudio App; download that
Turn on your bluetooth and connect to EarStudio ES100; that's it.
He is trying to use the ES100 as a wired DAC, not Bluetooth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back