Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,846 of 6,675
Is it possible to Turn OFF the blinking LED Light while in use BUT not off Completely like while charging ?

If not @wslee Could you please consider that in future FW update? I want the LED Off but also want some indication if its Fully charged.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,847 of 6,675
Is it possible to Turn OFF the blinking LED Light while in use BUT not off Completely like while charging ?

If not @wslee Could you please consider that in future FW update? I want the LED Off but also want some indication if its Fully charged.

Nope, I've requested this feature since they added the LED-setting, to have it off besides indications for when you connect/disconnect/charge. Hopefully they will implement it if its technically feasible.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,848 of 6,675
I think that putting it in a better case etc. would probably double the retail price. That stuff is very expensive to add when you consider all the markups from materials and increased assembly and quality control. I'm not a fan of the size, it's actually too small to use the buttons, better if it was about 25% bigger. I can live with the cheap appearance though. I bet when they make a V2 it will be a lot better looking, and a lot more expensive.

I have the XB10 too and even though it's bigger and somewhat higher end design, I hate the controls, I can't tell which one I'm pressing without looking at it.

I think metal would be a mistake from the antennae perspective. All of these devices suffer from reception problems to some degree and adding metal casing would only make this worse.

Got one from Amazon to try but for me its going back.
My reason for returning is I really think the thing looks/feels cheap and the controls are so tiny and awkward to use. We are audiophiles ! We want metal & premium design/look (I'd have paid the extra £10 for premium build materials).

So, wish more thought had gone into aesthetic design/material choice/control. Excellent work done with the audio itself.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #1,849 of 6,675
1) where would you place the volume buttons? keep in mind that the front and back faces are not going to work unless you add significant thickness and another circuit board to the design. The board itself is EXTREMELY densely populated, and the only other way you could add the button is to increase the size of the device to make room. Then you'd have the buttons on a rather long riser, which reduces durability and increases the likelihood of damage. It also makes repair/refurbishing very difficult since now you have to try soldering in the middle of a bunch of other components.

The volume buttons IMO are perfectly placed for use with a shirt clip. The device clips to the front neck of your shirt, you make a U shape with your thumb/forefinger to reach up and interact with it. This provides finger/thumb operation to every button you could possibly be interacting with regularly. You cant put things on the bottom, there is a USB charging port there. You can put additional buttons on the top. The only thing I'd have placed differently is putting the microphone on the top, pointing at the user's face. And they probably didnt do that to prevent it from picking up hardcore breathing noises and chin/beard rustling sounds.

Dunno if you can see it, but here's what the circuit board looks like: https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=d48bcbd3a89363c0108cae6d93a156d1&oe=5C10AF78

The placements of the buttons aren't that bad, its just that its impossible to feel without looking which button that does what (except the pause/play button ofc). Also I'd like a bit more space between the pause/play button and the 2,5 mm jack. Perhaps a volume wheel if its possible too?

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,850 of 6,675
The placements of the buttons aren't that bad, its just that its impossible to feel without looking which button that does what (except the pause/play button ofc). Also I'd like a bit more space between the pause/play button and the 2,5 mm jack. Perhaps a volume wheel if its possible too?

Take a tiny dab of hot glue or super glue and put it on one of the buttons to raise it so it's easier to feel. Or a tiny piece of tape. I know exactly what you mean, that's how my volume button on my lgv20 feels like through the case. Can't tell if I'm pressing up or down.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,852 of 6,675
While it is hard to press the buttons because it is too small, after three days of use I can tell which button is what from feel, and the placement of the plug. This is unlike the XB10 which I cannot figure out which button is what by feel alone and I've been using for 6 months!

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,853 of 6,675
my unit just arrived. i get what you guys mean about the cheap plasticky chinesium feel. while i wouldnt necessarily change the size/shape/build of it, maybe in the future if the flat front was more reinforced and/or had a better texture to it? feels like it will crack immediately if i squeeze it, though i do get the weight savings aspect.

Jul 27, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #1,854 of 6,675
Although the app recommends maximizing source volume and using the ES100’s volume control, I agree with you because:
1. The ES100’s volume control buttons are ridiculously placed on it
2. When I’m using one of my sources which is an iPhone, I like that I can also use the knob on my Apple Watch to control volume.
The Apple Watch knob allows finer grained volume control than the iPhone. The iPhone's volume buttons only have 16 steps, but the Apple Watch or a Bluetooth receiver in sync mode can set the iOS volume to any arbitrary value.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,855 of 6,675
@wslee
Found a bug on iOS.
When listening to music at -60db. Then the phone call comes in, after the phone call. The sound goes to a louder level way over -60db has to press button -, then + to go back to -60db. Since I have very sensitive iem. It is very loud. Thank you!

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #1,856 of 6,675
I find that the button placement is a bit awkward but not sure how it could be better. What I could appreciate is texture on the buttons that I could feel or not feel to know which button I am pressing. Sometimes just a slit or bump in the middle of the rocker style buttons helps me orientate myself.

I have gotten used to clipping it on the right side of my shirt collar and then raising my left hand to the device. I slide my thumb up the track previous/next button to the power/pause/play button and then I know I can do the volume with my middle finger as it's resting right on it.

Also next track is the same as volume up but on the other side or you can remember that next track is the closer to the power/play/pause button.

Jul 28, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,857 of 6,675
Hello everyone,

So I purchased an ES100 off amazon a week ago or so: I've noticed that I get popping sounds intermittently when using it as a dac/amp with the 3.5mm out for my laptop. However, it's fine when I use it with my phone in bluetooth. Should I just try to get it replaced by Amazon? or is this something normal.

Usually I only have issues with low latency audio devices for recording with ASIO deivers. You could try to download DPC Latency Checker and see if the pops correspond to a large latency spike. Then do some reading/trial error to figure out which device driver is causing the issue.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #1,858 of 6,675
I have a suggestion to reconsider interface for output selection. First of all - lock must be not switchable off - why risk it? Second - make simple switch 2.5/3.5. Check how much current is used on unbalanced mode and switch off second amp automatically if there is no benefit in running it. Last one - move volume limiter into setting of volume - near the channels trim just have a slider of maximum volume. In general gui needs some rework to make it simpler...

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #1,859 of 6,675
I have a suggestion to reconsider interface for output selection. First of all - lock must be not switchable off - why risk it? Second - make simple switch 2.5/3.5. Check how much current is used on unbalanced mode and switch off second amp automatically if there is no benefit in running it. Last one - move volume limiter into setting of volume - near the channels trim just have a slider of maximum volume. In general gui needs some rework to make it simpler...

I suggest one way to make it simpler for users would be an auto gain protection for the eq section - when enabled, if the buffer indicates clipping is about to occur, adjust the pre-amp down for the rest of that track, returning to the requested pre-amp level at the end of the track and continue to check for clipping again.

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #1,860 of 6,675
Replay gain is a feature of many music players, fwiw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back