Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #151 of 6,675
It can be used as a dac/amp off the usb on Windows and even charges at the same time. The Android app can control her too.
can it be used by android phone with otg cable?

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #152 of 6,675
Is it possible to add an option for the device not to power on automatically on each connect/disconnect from charger?
I put the device to charge at night and have to turn it off, then take it with me in the morning, and again need to remember to turn it off...

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #153 of 6,675
can it be used by android phone with otg cable?

@tim0chan:

Yes, ES100 supports USB Audio Class 1.0.
It's 48KHz/16bit only, but at least better than AAC, AptX over Bluetooth.
ES100 works with Android through OTG cable,
and works with iPhone with Apple Camera Kit.
In order to work with a mobile phone,
ES100 provides the self-powered mode which can be set with the mobile application.
In the self-powered mode,
ES100 doesn't consume any power from the mobile phone,
running with its own battery without charing it from the connected mobile phone.

Here's a posting in a thread.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-1785

You will find the snapshot of Android OTG USB connection with ES100.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #154 of 6,675
I don't think there's any need to apologise.
Like I mentioned before, it's a breath of fresh air in this day and age to find someone who is so involved in their own product, yet so open and honest and clear in explaining why they made the choices they made.
Your explanation as usual is very clear and I for one have been educated a bit more :)

I totally agree. Please keep it up @wslee! :)

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #155 of 6,675
I just wanted to post that I received my product yesterday from the Amazon order. It was earlier than predicted. This device really surprised me, and I was a little jaded (mad at myself) because I missed the preorders and paid more, but it was TOTALLY worth the Amazon price. The support and firmware updates have been amazing, it's really nice to see a company provide the changelogs and be so out in the open about what they do. The firmware update process on Windows couldn't have gone any easier, really no setup required except plugging it into the USB port, and allowing it to install the drivers, then double clicking one file for the firmware update.

Sound quality is great, and I REALLY like that Radsone put the descriptions for every feature in the Android app.

So far, I've run it from my Windows PC via bluetooth with my Intel AC-7260 wireless card. And from my HTC U11 via bluetooth with aptx HD. It's the first device I've had that I enjoyed this much using just the preset equalizers before I even started fine tuning anything.

I don't have a decent set of cans yet, currently testing with Sony MDR-XB950B1 (wired 3.5 mm) and will test with Bose Quiet Comfort noise cancelling headphones (wired 3.5mm).

@wslee if you keep up this kind of support and communication with the community, I think you've really got a golden egg on your hands.

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #156 of 6,675
I just wanted to post that I received my product yesterday from the Amazon order. It was earlier than predicted. This device really surprised me, and I was a little jaded (mad at myself) because I missed the preorders and paid more, but it was TOTALLY worth the Amazon price. The support and firmware updates have been amazing, it's really nice to see a company provide the changelogs and be so out in the open about what they do. The firmware update process on Windows couldn't have gone any easier, really no setup required except plugging it into the USB port, and allowing it to install the drivers, then double clicking one file for the firmware update.

Sound quality is great, and I REALLY like that Radsone put the descriptions for every feature in the Android app.

So far, I've run it from my Windows PC via bluetooth with my Intel AC-7260 wireless card. And from my HTC U11 via bluetooth with aptx HD. It's the first device I've had that I enjoyed this much using just the preset equalizers before I even started fine tuning anything.

I don't have a decent set of cans yet, currently testing with Sony MDR-XB950B1 (wired 3.5 mm) and will test with Bose Quiet Comfort noise cancelling headphones (wired 3.5mm).

@wslee if you keep up this kind of support and communication with the community, I think you've really got a golden egg on your hands.

@CharliesTheMan:

Thanks for the kind review on ES100.

Just one note on about your BOSE QC.
As you know, the key idea of ANC(Active Noise Cancellation) is subtracting what microphone captures from the source audio.
(i.e., adding the inverted version of what microphone captures)

Those adding/subtraction can be performed in the digital domain and/or the analog domain.
But it always ends up with an amplifier circuitry connected directly to head unit.

That means that you're not able to experience the true nature of ES100 amplifier circuit,
but just listening sound driven by the built-in amplifier of ANC headphone.

I'm not so sure but it might be possible BOSE QC bypasses the audio line to the head unit without passing through the amplifier, when the ANC off.
One way to check it is measuring the impedance at the 3.5mm cable terminal, both in ANC ON and OFF.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #159 of 6,675
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #160 of 6,675
Would this drive the dt 770 Pro 80ohm to decent levels? What is the output in MW at 80ohms?

@redogfizbal:

DT 770 Pro 80-Ohm seems to provide 96dB SPL/1mWatt.

https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/3878/product_id/2912/

ES100 can provide max. 15mWatt to 80-Ohm unit.
So, the maxium loudness level with DT770 Pro 80-Ohm & ES100 would be around 107~108 dBSPL.

Again, please refer the Figure #2, on the web page below.

http://www.shure.com/americas/support/find-an-answer/understanding-earphone-headphone-specifications

According to the table, it's between Voice shouting and Dance club.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #163 of 6,675
Feb 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #164 of 6,675
One issue I seem to be having is that the highs feel a bit less crisp. I'm using CA Andromedas out of an iPhone 7, and comparing to the Apple 3.5mm adapter. This is not a Bluetooth issue as I get the same signature using it wired via the Apple camera adapter. I tried various settings and EQ settings and it is always the same - the quality is good, but the highs are not as crisp as I am used to.
So far I am using the single-ended interface. In a few weeks I will have a balanced cable, and will see if this improves the situation.
Anyone else with a similar experience, and ideas as to how to improve?

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #165 of 6,675
One issue I seem to be having is that the highs feel a bit less crisp. I'm using CA Andromedas out of an iPhone 7, and comparing to the Apple 3.5mm adapter. This is not a Bluetooth issue as I get the same signature using it wired via the Apple camera adapter. I tried various settings and EQ settings and it is always the same - the quality is good, but the highs are not as crisp as I am used to.
So far I am using the single-ended interface. In a few weeks I will have a balanced cable, and will see if this improves the situation.
Anyone else with a similar experience, and ideas as to how to improve?

I don't have es100 yet but AFAIK Andromeda is known for signature variation with source output impedance - might at least partially explain it? (Also possible variations in source multi-ba driving ability can create favorable/unfavorable coloration).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back