Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 12, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #183 of 6,675
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #184 of 6,675
Toying now with the ES100 settings. Streming Tidal album Signes by Alex Maxwell, via UAPP, at bit perfect, flac with 44.1khz, 16bit, ~1000kbps.
Initial observation is that sound is more airy with the DCT set to zero.
Source: LG v30+ set to aptx-hd
IEM: fiio f9 pro, balance cable
DAC digital filter set to short delay slow roll-off
Equalizer disabled.

Please share your observations.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #185 of 6,675
I understand you are working on smart volume for a firmware update.

I would love to see this device work seemlessly with a car. Maybe have a switch in the app that enables the device to auto power on and off when attached to external power.

One of my devices switches itself back on when it was turned off but still plugged in to power - at the moment the power is unplugged, that's when it turns back on, which isn't great for seemless car use.

The other device doesn't turn itself on when attached to power, which I am debugging at present.

I would like to leave one of my ES100s attached to the car's power permanently, switching itself on and off with the power provided by the car.

Also, having 2 devices means I have to authorise each one into the app for settings each time I switch... maybe that could be just done once for each device and store it in the profile?

I would really appreciate these features, you have been so good at working with customer feedback so far.

Anyone else want to chime in on having these features?

Actually these are two features I was concerned with also, one of them just came up last night and I was going to make the same suggestion. Having a method for the device to power up with the car, or power down/sleep when I turn off the car. I know it was really designed with portability and headphones in mind, but now I've gotten spoiled and want to have one everywhere. My first thought after deciding that I liked this one, was something like "This is great, I'm going to be getting more of these, I hope they keep the price down where I can afford multiple units."

We got a new car, a smart fortwo passion, and it doesn't have bluetooth but has an auxiliary port in the glove compartment. It would be nice to have it power up/power down with turning the car on/off via the power cable. If it doesn't already to that, I didn't have a micro USB to test with but it was a needed feature since it worked great in the glove compartment but when running errands it was lots of opening/closing to turn it on and off.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #186 of 6,675
Toying now with the ES100 settings. Streming Tidal album Signes by Alex Maxwell, via UAPP, at bit perfect, flac with 44.1khz, 16bit, ~1000kbps.
Initial observation is that sound is more airy with the DCT set to zero.
Source: LG v30+ set to aptx-hd
IEM: fiio f9 pro, balance cable
DAC digital filter set to short delay slow roll-off
Equalizer disabled.

Please share your observations.
That is my experience as well. As you can see from a previous post, I was having this issue as well, though I did not call it 'airy'. I think that is a good description for what I seem to lose with DCT on. Before I mentioned that I thought HD Jitter needs to be turned off, but I no longer think so.

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #187 of 6,675
My primary use cases for the es100 would be watching videos on my phone (Pixel 2) and a bluetooth-capable Sony television. Would the latency be too much for this? I know it doesn't support aptX LL, but neither does my phone or TV (to my knowledge).

Feb 13, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #188 of 6,675
Got my es100 today!
This thing is the greatest bluetooth audio device I've ever used.
Using it with tidal from an iphone 6 to drive 300 ohm blur earbuds and Ether C's.
Clean and clear sound. I can finally hear layers and the eq is quite useful.
Haven't had any drops and the mic is clear according to people on calls.
Exactly what I needed for out and about...

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #189 of 6,675
Love this thing...just got my balanced cable. Using the 2.5 High Voltage and she just drove my K1000 for night listening with Melody Gardot on Tidal. And just switch to the Hifiman HE5LE which is a better match...

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #190 of 6,675
I think that listening to Tidal HiFi via UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) application, reveals more sound. On the other hand, I may have got a wrong impression, due to the fact that UAPP via BT device may use the phone's generic audio up-sampling.

Try it and share your impression.

The true benefit of Tidal via UAPP is for USB audio (DAC) while setting UAPP to Bit Perfect mode.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #191 of 6,675
Actually these are two features I was concerned with also, one of them just came up last night and I was going to make the same suggestion. Having a method for the device to power up with the car, or power down/sleep when I turn off the car. I know it was really designed with portability and headphones in mind, but now I've gotten spoiled and want to have one everywhere. My first thought after deciding that I liked this one, was something like "This is great, I'm going to be getting more of these, I hope they keep the price down where I can afford multiple units."

We got a new car, a smart fortwo passion, and it doesn't have bluetooth but has an auxiliary port in the glove compartment. It would be nice to have it power up/power down with turning the car on/off via the power cable. If it doesn't already to that, I didn't have a micro USB to test with but it was a needed feature since it worked great in the glove compartment but when running errands it was lots of opening/closing to turn it on and off.
I have almost the opposite issue. The fact that the device turns itself on every time it is connected/disconnected to power is an issue. At night, I put it to charge - and have to remember to turn it off. In the morning I disconnect to take it with me - and again need to turn it off.
I think the power behavior should be configurable.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #192 of 6,675
I have almost the opposite issue. The fact that the device turns itself on every time it is connected/disconnected to power is an issue. At night, I put it to charge - and have to remember to turn it off. In the morning I disconnect to take it with me - and again need to turn it off.
I think the power behavior should be configurable.

Actually this morning I realized what you're also seeing. Because it's not good to connect headphones to the DAC while powered up in some configurations, I have to unplug it from the charger, and then power it down, connect and power it back up. I would also like to have to option for when it powers up/powers down upon connect/disconnect. So like you said @kolbo, in the car use scenario this is also a problem because if it's the same as taking it off charger, when you turn off the car, then the unit comes on and you have to manually turn it off. So it's basically the same problem with both headphones and in the car, powering on when shutting off power or disconnecting charger.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #193 of 6,675
My primary use cases for the es100 would be watching videos on my phone (Pixel 2) and a bluetooth-capable Sony television. Would the latency be too much for this? I know it doesn't support aptX LL, but neither does my phone or TV (to my knowledge).

Using it with my iPhone to watch videos, it’s ok. There is still some noticeable lipsync but not so far out that it’s silly.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #194 of 6,675
Actually this morning I realized what you're also seeing. Because it's not good to connect headphones to the DAC while powered up in some configurations, I have to unplug it from the charger, and then power it down, connect and power it back up. I would also like to have to option for when it powers up/powers down upon connect/disconnect. So like you said @kolbo, in the car use scenario this is also a problem because if it's the same as taking it off charger, when you turn off the car, then the unit comes on and you have to manually turn it off. So it's basically the same problem with both headphones and in the car, powering on when shutting off power or disconnecting charger.

So... we need some way to switch between headphone and car mode.

Headphone mode needs to simply stay off or stay on when charger is attached or detached.

Car mode needs to switch off when attached power is switched off and switch on when power is switched on.

Definitely the switching on by itself when power is detached is a bug. I don't know if this behaviour can be controlled by a stored setting, say a "car mode" inside the app... it might need to be hard coded because it probably needs power to make the decision... I don't know.

If it must be hard coded, then why not use a function like hold a key down while you attach power prevents it from switching on and holding a key when power detaches prevents it from switching off.

I know this is possibly confusing for users, but I think it would work, the user would get used to it quickly and it would have a seemless car function which means you don't need to touch it for it to be a useful car audio extension.

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #195 of 6,675
imag0027.jpg
So I now have the luxury of having both these puppies...

:)

Doing some testing over the next couple of days and will write a comparison afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back