Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 14, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #196 of 6,675
Ok.. so my setup at work is AKG-K545 and my source is LG V20 via ES100.
It seems my source and headphones aren't high fidelity enough to notice the effects of DCT levels (anywhere from 0 to 10).

Over Sampling Rate at 4x seems bit flat... and bit harsher at 1x... 2x seems like a good spot for now.
I have EQ off and Ambient off as well. Still overall very happy. :k701smile:

Feb 14, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #197 of 6,675
Actually this morning I realized what you're also seeing. Because it's not good to connect headphones to the DAC while powered up in some configurations, I have to unplug it from the charger, and then power it down, connect and power it back up. I would also like to have to option for when it powers up/powers down upon connect/disconnect. So like you said @kolbo, in the car use scenario this is also a problem because if it's the same as taking it off charger, when you turn off the car, then the unit comes on and you have to manually turn it off. So it's basically the same problem with both headphones and in the car, powering on when shutting off power or disconnecting charger.

@CharliesTheMan:

You're right.
ES100 automatically resets its own system, when connected/disconnected to/from any charger or PC.
As you noted, ES100 is automatically turned on, when connected to USB.

We believe it should act like that becasue,
- It supports USB DAC
- No battery issue when connected to charger

For about the car use case,
If you turn off the car's power source, ES100 will be reset and turned on again.
But, if you leave ES100 in the car and go away out of the car with your mobile phone,
ES100 will lose the connection to your mobile and will power it down after 3 minutes.

That is the only power-down option:
3-minutes after Losing Bluetooth connection when USB disconnected.

And when you get back to the car and turn on the car's power source,
ES100 will be reset and turned on automatically,
eventually connecting to your mobile phone automatically.

There are pros and cons, but I think it's a good trade-off.

And assuming current H/W and F/W,
I'm afraid we may not be able to change the current operating scenario.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Feb 15, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #198 of 6,675
@CharliesTheMan:

You're right.
ES100 automatically resets its own system, when connected/disconnected to/from any charger or PC.
As you noted, ES100 is automatically turned on, when connected to USB.

We believe it should act like that becasue,
- It supports USB DAC
- No battery issue when connected to charger

For about the car use case,
If you turn off the car's power source, ES100 will be reset and turned on again.
But, if you leave ES100 in the car and go away out of the car with your mobile phone,
ES100 will lose the connection to your mobile and will power it down after 3 minutes.

That is the only power-down option:
3-minutes after Losing Bluetooth connection when USB disconnected.

And when you get back to the car and turn on the car's power source,
ES100 will be reset and turned on automatically,
eventually connecting to your mobile phone automatically.

There are pros and cons, but I think it's a good trade-off.

And assuming current H/W and F/W,
I'm afraid we may not be able to change the current operating scenario.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Yes, I suspected this might be it. I have had to make a workaround, which I am content with.

The issue with the device turning on when power is disconnected is that is when I arrive home, the bluetooth will reconnect and I can't walk far enough away for it to disconnect by itself and then power down.

Your method of just walking away from the car and letting it power down by itself works when I'm away from home, but I have now mounted the device on the car's dashboard so I must turn it off explicitly when I arrive home.

The other issue is that people are having issues with this in normal headphone mode, I don't mind so much because I need to set myself up for walking around with headphones on anyway and it doesn't need charging every day.

So, yes, turning on automatically when power is attached is fine and useful for me.

With one device mounted on the car dash and one that goes with my portable headphones, this thing still rocks.

Sound quality and ambient mode make the ES100 trump all bluetooth enabled headphones, now I'm free to use different styles of headphone with the same high quality bluetooth device.

Thank you so much for all this.

Let us know how the smart volume control is going.... I'm guessing you'll have to sign off on the ES100 soon and move on to your next product.

Cheers.

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #199 of 6,675
Sound quality and ambient mode make the ES100 trump all bluetooth enabled headphones, now I'm free to use different styles of headphone with the same high quality bluetooth device.

That's what the Fiio BTR1 delivers for me. But I'm also very interested in the ES100.

Anyone: has anyone done SQ comparisons between the BTR1 and the ES100 in APTX? (my source is a Samsung S7 Edge)

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #200 of 6,675
Yes, I suspected this might be it. I have had to make a workaround, which I am content with.

The issue with the device turning on when power is disconnected is that is when I arrive home, the bluetooth will reconnect and I can't walk far enough away for it to disconnect by itself and then power down.

Your method of just walking away from the car and letting it power down by itself works when I'm away from home, but I have now mounted the device on the car's dashboard so I must turn it off explicitly when I arrive home.

The other issue is that people are having issues with this in normal headphone mode, I don't mind so much because I need to set myself up for walking around with headphones on anyway and it doesn't need charging every day.

So, yes, turning on automatically when power is attached is fine and useful for me.

With one device mounted on the car dash and one that goes with my portable headphones, this thing still rocks.

Thank you so much for all this.

Let us know how the smart volume control is going.... I'm guessing you'll have to sign off on the ES100 soon and move on to your next product.

Cheers.

@PiSkyHiFi:

OK, now I understood the situation.
I didn't think you can't walk far enough away for it to disconnect by itself.
Here at Seoul where I'm living, only those rich have the parking lot right next to the house. ^*^.
At the moment, I have no idea how to figure it out, but anyway, now I got the point and thanks for your input again.

We're still working on the smart volume.
Because we have no privilege on OS, we need to make it with a workaround solution.
The assumptions are:
- Mobile connected with ES100 only, no other BT device.
- ES100 App should be launched.
- Fine volume control with mobile side key may not be available.
We will release it within a couple of weeks.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #201 of 6,675
WS, any updates on when we'll be able to buy one on Amazon? They're still listed as unavailable.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #202 of 6,675
So I now have the luxury of having both these puppies...

:)

Doing some testing over the next couple of days and will write a comparison afterwards.

What is the Audio-Technica device? What model number is that?

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #203 of 6,675
That looks like the Audio-Technica AT-PHA55BT. It's rather pricey on Amazon.

I'm starting to get interested in the AT-PHA50BT, which is more comparable to the ES100 in terms of pricing. I might just pull the trigger on that if the ES100 doesn't come back soon...

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #206 of 6,675
@Soaa:
The package is now in US Customs for random inspection.
It will be back to available next week.
Thanks,
WS
When will it be available in the uk?

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #210 of 6,675
Blam, ordered!

You said earlier in this thread that the output impedance is around 1 ohm. Is that for single-ended or balanced output?

@Soaa:

Both of them.

FYI,
If you check the circuit diagram of below example,
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/76
you will find the SWITCHER.
Every device supporting both 3.5 and 2.5mm output has the switch IC.
But the problem is that the semiconductor switch IC has some resistance even when switched ON, which called R-on.
Eventually, the output impedance gets higher, and it distorts and degrades the sound quality.

ES100 DualDrive Technology has NO switch IC,
and two AK4375a delivers twice much current at half output impedance.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back