Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 5, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #136 of 6,675
Some users asked me about the Bluetooth version of ES100.
ES100 supports Bluetooth 4.2.

But, I'd like to let you know that Bluetooth version of any audio receiver(sink) or transmitter(source) is nothing to do with sound quality or audio streaming link range.

Bluetooth audio streaming over A2DP(Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) always goes with Bluetooth Classic link,
that is BR(Basic Rate)/EDR(Enhanced Data Rate).

Bluetooth classic (a.k.a BR/EDR, basic rate/enhanced data rate) came out to the world first
and then Bluetooth Low Energy (a.k.a BLE) next.

The trade-off between data throughput and power consumption was the primary reason for the birth of BLE.
In comparison with Bluetooth Classic (0.7~2.1Mbps),
BLE has application throughput around 300kbps in order to save the power consumption,
which is not fast enough for the stereo audio application.

ES100 supports Bluetooth 4.2, and the ES100 mobile application communicates with ES100 over BLE.
However, audio streaming over A2DP(Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) always goes with BR/EDR,
not only with ES100 but also with any others A2DP receiver/transmitter.

Any mobile phone always delivers the audio packets over A2DP thru BT classic BR/EDR link,
no matter what version of Bluetooth it supports.

New Bluetooth 5.0 is an upgrade version mostly for the low energy (BLE).
However, even with the assumption of the new data rate of 5.0, doubled from 300kbps, it is still not fast enough for A2DP.
Because A2DP generally requires around 1Mbps application throughput regarding error and retransmission in the interference environment.

Some vendors take and claim the Bluetooth v5.0 as a competitive/essential advantage of their audio application product,
misleading the users as if v5.0 would provide something better.

If the application is a wearable device like Fitbit which deals with arbitrary user data over Bluetooth,
the version is matter, and the latest BT version will provide you many benefits including range and power consumption.

However, with the A2DP application, you will get nothing better with the latest BT version.
Even any lower version of BT would perform the same when streaming the A2DP.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #137 of 6,675
So do you assert that BT 4.2 is better than 5 at sound file transmission?

Bluetooth 5.0 functionality which quadruples the wireless transmission range, boosts the broadcast messaging ability by 800% and doubles the data speed capacity — the critical factor for enabling a robust audio connection with true 'lossless' uncompressed quality.

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #139 of 6,675
Already tried to explain it on the Bluewave Get thread some weeks ago.
But he doesn't (want to) understand that A2DP is using BR/EDR and not BLE. And and that nearly all of the cool new stuff of BT 5 is for BLE

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #140 of 6,675
Already tried to explain it on the Bluewave Get thread some weeks ago.
But he doesn't (want to) understand that A2DP is using BR/EDR and not BLE. And and that nearly all of the cool new stuff of BT 5 is for BLE

Gosh! u again... U are too stubborn to understand what i am sayin, LOL. Please read my post.. no doubt to argue advantage of BT 5`s range over the oldie at least. You can leave your source at anywhere in your home, and play music without any trouble through several THICK walls by BT5 paired-devices. I can understand oldies love "classic", though.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #141 of 6,675
So do you assert that BT 4.2 is better than 5 at sound file transmission?

Bluetooth 5.0 functionality which quadruples the wireless transmission range, boosts the broadcast messaging ability by 800% and doubles the data speed capacity — the critical factor for enabling a robust audio connection with true 'lossless' uncompressed quality.

@Researcher:

I think you missed one major point:

Bluetooth 5.0 functionality which quadruples the wireless transmission range,
boosts the broadcast messaging ability by 800% and doubles the data speed capacity than BLE.

The nature of Bluetooth Classic(BR/EDR) and Bluetooth Low Energy are entirely different.

Please refer and take a look at the table on the web page below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_Low_Energy

As described, the BLE application throughput around 300kbps is not applicable to stereo audio streaming.
BLE, as named as Low Energy, was designed to save power consumption, while sacrificing the data throughput.

So to speak:

* Bluetooth Classic
= BR/EDR (Basic Rate/Enhanced Data Rate) -----> Express Train

* Bluetooth v4.x
= BR/EDR + BLE(Bluetooth Low Energy) -----> Express Train + Car 90's

* Bluetooth v5.0
= BR/EDR + BLE(Bluetooth Low Energy) + BLE Upgrade -----> Express Train + Car 90's + Car 2010's

As you mentioned, BT v5.0 doubles the data rate.
But we need to make sure it doubles the data rate than BLE.

The truth is that A2DP streaming always goes with BR/EDR (Express train)
because the cars(BLE or BLE Upgrade) hardly can manage the required throughput of the stereo audio application.

And, there's no real lossless quality over Bluetooth at the moment.
All the Bluetooth codecs are lossy.

It's a common myth in Bluetooth audio.
Please note that A2DP streaming always goes with Bluetooth classic.
No audio quality difference across Bluetooth versions.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #143 of 6,675
To summarize, all the improvements to range and data rate in Bluetooth 5 apply to Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) mode only, but even at double the data rate it's still too slow for streaming high quality audio. BLE is really meant for Internet of Things (IoT) devices - various kinds of sensors, locators, and stuff like mice and keyboards, none of which need much data throughput. For stereo audio you need to use classic Bluetooth, which as far as range and data rate go, hasn't changed for BT5.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #145 of 6,675
Sorry for firing the argument.
I just wanted to share what I know and what I've done,
in order to help you guys out of the incorrect information.
I might be wrong.
And as @Researcher mentioned,
I hope someday soon the lossless audio over Bluetooth would come out.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

I don't think there's any need to apologise.
Like I mentioned before, it's a breath of fresh air in this day and age to find someone who is so involved in their own product, yet so open and honest and clear in explaining why they made the choices they made.
Your explanation as usual is very clear and I for one have been educated a bit more :)

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #146 of 6,675
Hope to get my Earstudio (ordered via Amazon) by end of week.

Is there a possibility to add in a future FW update the functionality to initiate Google Assistance, by pressing an ES100 key (either: long, short, double); mostly to activate voice calling.
Currently, is it possible to use "OK GOOGLE" voice command (via the ES100 microphone) while the phone screen is off?

Thanks

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #147 of 6,675

Is there a possibility to add in a future FW update the functionality to initiate Google Assistance, by pressing an ES100 key (either: long, short, double); mostly to activate voice calling.
Currently, is it possible to use "OK GOOGLE" voice command (via the ES100 microphone) while the phone screen is off?

Thanks

I agree that would be great from an Android users perspective (which I have), but I can't imagine this being an easy thing to implement actually, because it's deviating from the device's purpose of being a high quality sound interface and asking the developers to be involved in supporting Google services in preference to others... if it tried to connect with a digital assistant, there are a few competing ones, which do they choose? If they go with being a google only assistant, they may alienate iOS users that may think the device is only worth paying for if the user has Android.

Simply connecting with Google Assistant with double tap might sound easy, but then it becomes known as an Android device that partially works with iPhones and many may ignore the real reason it exists.... decent sound quality.

Tough call.

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #148 of 6,675

Thanks

@zolom:

Thanks for your input.
Currently, we're working on "Smart Volume."
We've checked the feasibility and found a way to make it.
However, we've just gone through 50%
and try to figure out another 50% for many corner cases, to release the feature officially.
I'm not sure if we can make it. Half and Half.
Anyway, let us do it first.
I'll check what you suggested later.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #149 of 6,675
@zolom:

Thanks for your input.
Currently, we're working on "Smart Volume."
We've checked the feasibility and found a way to make it.
However, we've just gone through 50%
and try to figure out another 50% for many corner cases, to release the feature officially.
I'm not sure if we can make it. Half and Half.
Anyway, let us do it first.
I'll check what you suggested later.

Thanks and Regards,
WS
Does the earstudio support usb DAC function?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back