Radiohead vs. Coldplay
Feb 9, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 95
Parachutes was a revelation of an album to me when it first came out. And the subsequent albums may arguably be even better, though I was never as wowed again personally.

But yeah, it's not even close for me. I still listen to even Pablo Honey. When you throw in The Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac, etc... I don't think Coldplay stands a chance.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #17 of 95
I thought the Radiohead cultists would show up en masse. I've never much liked Coldplay, but Radiohead is good for a listen now and then. Radiohead has never really struck a chord with me, but I voted for them anyway.

Feb 9, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #19 of 95
If you want an answer on your question: yes I have a lot of respect for people that can live from the music they make.
Only thing is I don't think you will find an answer like that with this poll. Radiohead is imo on another level. Radiohead is more like art while Coldplay is just good music.

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #20 of 95
Okay, who voted for coldplay?
Also, where is the "Radiohead- I can't even fathom why they're being compared to Coldplay" option?

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #21 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Parachutes was a revelation of an album to me when it first came out. And the subsequent albums may arguably be even better, though I was never as wowed again personally.

But yeah, it's not even close for me. I still listen to even Pablo Honey. When you throw in The Bends, OK Computer, Amnesiac, etc... I don't think Coldplay stands a chance.

Parachutes was a great album. It is just that Kid A, Amnesiac, OK Computer, In Rainbows, Hail to the Thief, and The Bends are all much better than any album coldplay is capable of creating, based on thier work thus far. You also have to give Radiohead the nod for consistency. 6 fantastic albums. Coldplay, IMO has one good album and 3 nearly unlistenable ones. You can only listen to a grown man whine so much.

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #22 of 95
I know Coldplay's music much better, have all their Cds, but listening the other day to "Subterranean Homesick Alien", just shows how big an influence Radiohead has had over Coldplay...

Feb 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 95
The comparison is almost offensive.
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 95
I'd consider Radiohead to be one of the best bands of all time, ranking just slightly below Pink Floyd in terms of not only importance to the rock genre but listenability as well. While I agree that Coldplay has created some excellent songs, the albums just aren't on the same level, at least imho. I feel that there is so much depth and emotional involvement with nearly all Radiohead albums, and because of their high level of consistency over many years, they have really set themselves apart from the vast majority of other musical artists.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 95
Coldplay is OK for a mainstream radio band, but their music has no complexity to it. They're not interesting to listen to, for me at least. I've easily listened to each Radiohead album over 100 times and somehow they still sound as fresh as the first time I heard them.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #27 of 95
I know you didn't want any bashing, but have you ever listened to Coldplay's lyrics? They can't write them, so they just put words down to sing something along with their pleasant music. And the music still doesn't compare to Radiohead.

And that's from someone who basically only listens to The Bends.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #29 of 95
I am a huge fan of coldplay. I really enjoy all their albums. However, Radiohead is on another level. They are brilliant in everything they write.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #30 of 95
Radiohead! Every single album is a masterpiece, they have maybe half a dozen weak songs in their entire career spanning twice the albums coldplay has put out

Coldplay 1st album - ok, for the most part, has a few stand out tracks.
2nd album - some good songs here and there, some really weak songs and some filler
3rd album - FULL FAIL
4rd album - UBER FAIL

I'll give coldplay credit for their start, they way they took that genre and made it appeal, and I have always felt that they are sincere and love what they do. Its just that they arent very creative, or musically gifted or talented at playing instruments. Most of the credit goes to the frontman, and I have heard that they are very energetic and sincere when they perform live as well. I can name a lot more bands that will rank lower than coldplay, but overall if you compare only radiohead and coldplay, coldplay doesnt stand a chance. I will get the next radiohead album within minutes of launch and try and listen to it as much as possible, the last time coldplay released an album it took me a month to even get the album and another to listen to it for the first time. They have gotten boring over their last two releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back