Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 23, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #5,777 of 7,898
I have I own all 3...I was a huge fan of the sr1a to begin with so to me the CA version is a more comfortable and convenient version with better bass and a different presentation...I think the sr1a competes well with the abyss and susvara and is another flavor of TOTL...the CA version is a bit different but still IMHO spectacular...I love it and it is right there with the other 2
Let me add I have the HSA-1B and the Tl box...I find the CA is bit thin and harsh with the 1B I like it better with my CFA3 and the adaptor...less aggressive..wider soundstage and more bass...interestingly I find the sr1a better with the 1B

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #5,778 of 7,898
.interestingly I find the sr1a better with the 1B
I have a very similar chain--SR1a which I can drive off my CFA3 w/ the TI interface box or HSA-1b. What do you like better about them off the 1b? I've been weighing the two myself and think I am leaning toward the CFA3 with interface. Dynamics seem a tiny bit better. But maybe I need to give them another listen.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #5,779 of 7,898
I have I own all 3...I was a huge fan of the sr1a to begin with so to me the CA version is a more comfortable and convenient version with better bass and a different presentation...I think the sr1a competes well with the abyss and susvara and is another flavor of TOTL...the CA version is a bit different but still IMHO spectacular...I love it and it is right there with the other 2
Let me add I have the HSA-1B and the Tl box...I find the CA is bit thin and harsh with the 1B I like it better with my CFA3 and the adaptor...less aggressive..wider soundstage and more bass...interestingly I find the sr1a better with the 1B
Thanks for your input; I have Susv,1266tc and SR1a; sold hsa-1b and I’m currently saving for VM1a; I can’t have all so when I finally get Raal’s tube monster I will definitely consider swapping Susvara for CA1a leaving me with some extra $$$ in my bank 😎

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #5,780 of 7,898
I have a very similar chain--SR1a which I can drive off my CFA3 w/ the TI interface box or HSA-1b. What do you like better about them off the 1b? I've been weighing the two myself and think I am leaning toward the CFA3 with interface. Dynamics seem a tiny bit better. But maybe I need to give them another listen.
for me when I listen to the CA-1a with the HSA-1b I find it is bit thin and bright....with the CFA3 and the interface box it tames the brightness and widens the soundstage and makes the bass more provocative....with the sr1a I didnt notice the difference to be as prominent

Aug 23, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #5,781 of 7,898
Howdy fella's!

There was a good observatio/complaint a few days ago that we haven't marked the headphones for Left / Right.

This is how we're going to be doing it in the future. Red is right channel, invisible from the outside and no searching for the letters L/R.
asdfads.jpg
dsbfgsbdsdb.jpg

Last edited:
RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Aug 23, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #5,782 of 7,898
A note about putting them on.

The leather headband is very soft, for improved comfort over the stiff leather headbands.

However, people find it tricky when putting the headphones on as the leather will sag down, so they try to lift it up with fingers, etc.
That is not the easy way to put them on.

What should be done is to spread them apart just enough so that the leather band straightens, put the band on top of your head and release them slowly to clamp your head.

That way you're not fiddling with the soft leather at all. The spring is made to take that spreading with ease, nothing will happen to it.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Aug 24, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #5,783 of 7,898
I had a CODA 07x and KRELL Duo 175XD packed in boxes and was planning on selling. However, today I put them back into my 2-channel SR1a setup to gauge the sound once more. It was the 9/10 I had previously stated. The VM-1a is a 10/10. However, I realized that the 2-channel SR1a setup has 2 advantages for me over the better sounding VM-1a.

1) I have 4 music sources available for my SR1a with the CODA 07x preamp (which is nice)
2) The sound is not as attention grabbing as the VM-1a so that is actually good when I got to get some work, work done. With the VM-1a I stop working too many times to listen. First world problem.

So I am going to keep this CODA 07x and KRELL 175XD 2-channel SR1a office setup long term. The CODA 07x is also setup to my LS50 Meta system via the dual XLR outputs. So that is a bonus.

I am using a Musetec 005 DAC with this 2-channel SR1a setup and it is so good here. However, with the VM-1a, the Musetec 005 is not the best match. It sounds rather dull. The brighter Benchmark DAC3B is preferred for the VM-1a. On 2-channel speakers, the DAC3B is not as good a DAC as the Musetec 005 and I can also hear some of this when I I listen to the 2-channel SR1a setup. So that tells me I can do a better DAC on the VM-1a.

So, I have 2 things I want to explore.

1) What DACs are people enjoying with the VM-1a?
2) How can I protect the tubes on the VM-1a (maybe some cage?). I would like to move the VM-1a to another room, where a dog and my son roam, so I can really listen instead of when working or browsing the internet in my office.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #5,784 of 7,898
2) How can I protect the tubes on the VM-1a (maybe some cage?). I would like to move the VM-1a to another room, where a dog and my son roam...
Have a small bottle of lavender oil standing by?

(for the boy, not the tubes - he'll only do it once)

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #5,785 of 7,898
Howdy fella's!

There was a good observatio/complaint a few days ago that we haven't marked the headphones for Left / Right.

This is how we're going to be doing it in the future. Red is right channel, invisible from the outside and no searching for the letters L/R.
asdfads.jpgdsbfgsbdsdb.jpg
Howdy fella's!

asdfads.jpgdsbfgsbdsdb.jpg
Easy to distinguish Left from Right just by looking at the angle of the cups.

Aug 24, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #5,786 of 7,898
I had a CODA 07x and KRELL Duo 175XD packed in boxes and was planning on selling. However, today I put them back into my 2-channel SR1a setup to gauge the sound once more. It was the 9/10 I had previously stated. The VM-1a is a 10/10. However, I realized that the 2-channel SR1a setup has 2 advantages for me over the better sounding VM-1a.

1) I have 4 music sources available for my SR1a with the CODA 07x preamp (which is nice)
2) The sound is not as attention grabbing as the VM-1a so that is actually good when I got to get some work, work done. With the VM-1a I stop working too many times to listen. First world problem.

So I am going to keep this CODA 07x and KRELL 175XD 2-channel SR1a office setup long term. The CODA 07x is also setup to my LS50 Meta system via the dual XLR outputs. So that is a bonus.

I am using a Musetec 005 DAC with this 2-channel SR1a setup and it is so good here. However, with the VM-1a, the Musetec 005 is not the best match. It sounds rather dull. The brighter Benchmark DAC3B is preferred for the VM-1a. On 2-channel speakers, the DAC3B is not as good a DAC as the Musetec 005 and I can also hear some of this when I I listen to the 2-channel SR1a setup. So that tells me I can do a better DAC on the VM-1a.

So, I have 2 things I want to explore.

1) What DACs are people enjoying with the VM-1a?
2) How can I protect the tubes on the VM-1a (maybe some cage?). I would like to move the VM-1a to another room, where a dog and my son roam, so I can really listen instead of when working or browsing the internet in my office.
I believe I have a prototype tube cage around here, somewhere... Give me a call and I'll dig it up for you to try.

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #5,787 of 7,898
I was wondering if any other members of this thread besides the vendor are going to be at CanJam SoCAL. It would be good to meet folks with an affinity for all stuff Raal-Requisite.

Aug 25, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #5,788 of 7,898
i have read through every post on this thread but the info starts to run together so I'll just ask. I just received the CA-1a. the headphone cable is a bit short for my liking. Is there anything special about the design of the headphone and/or T1b interface that would prohibit me from substituting a 10 foot 4pin xlr cable that I use with many of my other headphones?

Aug 25, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #5,789 of 7,898
I just received the CA-1a. the headphone cable is a bit short for my liking. Is there anything special about the design of the headphone and/or T1b interface that would prohibit me from substituting a 10 foot 4pin xlr cable that I use with many of my other headphones?

Yes:
~0.020 Ohms (20 mOhm)

The cable that comes with the TI is 0.23 Ohms, which gives you ~16/32 Ohms.
If making your own cable, set the loop resistance from 0.2 to 0.4 Ohms and don't go over 0.8uH at total cable length.
The original cable is 0.23 Ohms and for that resistance the 32/16 Ohms specs are valid.
Avoid pleating the cable in such a way that creates crosstalk between channels.

TRRS and not the usual 3.5mm TRS termination:
Pin 1 (R+) =Tip + Ring 1
Pin 2 (R-) = Ring 2 + Sleeve
Pin 3 (L-) = Ring 2 + Sleeve
Pin 4 (L+) = Tip + Ring 1
Though, some have gotten away with TRS.

EDIT: Oh yes, it's also 4-pin female XLR.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #5,790 of 7,898
I'm quite sure this question has been answered multiple times already, but this is a 385 page thread and it's difficult to know just what terms to use in the search function, but compared to traditional open back headphones (and I have no experience with other earspeaker types like the Sigma Pro, K1000, or Mysphere), how audible are the SR1's at say 10, 15, or 20 feet away (when listening at a comfortable volume)?
I have Stax Sigma, Mysphere, AKG K-1000, JJ Float QA, Ergo A.M.T. and some other “hover ear” phones.
Don’t have the SR1a yet.

The spill varies some on these, but in general you get about twice to three time as much spill, compared to even very open ‘phones like Sennheiser HD 800.

It’s the amount you have to bring up the level on the more distant transducers, to achieve the same comfortable loudness on your own ear.
I can clearly hear the music playing from my JJ Float QA sitting on a table in the next room, open door.

Someone in the same room very likely gets annoyed if sensitive to such situations.

As a test, maybe just try with some normal open ‘phones, use some foam ear plugs while listening louder than normal, then ask the people around you.
Or just put the phones on a stand, something like a big bottle, to simulate wearing them, and listen by yourself.

BTW: it’s even the other way ’round:
Listening with “hover ear” ‘phones needs a quiet room for full enjoyment.

If you want the Raal sound with less of these problems a look at the CA-1a might be suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back