Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 12, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #5,746 of 7,847
After listening to sr1b for 2 weeks, I am still struggling whether I should keep it or not.
For now, the details and the density of sound that sr1b gave me is still not on the same level as 1266 tc, however the imaging and the soundstage depth is better than 1266 tc to me.
Of course the bass as well, 1266 tc has a very good bass quality plus quantity. However, sr1b has enough bass if you are not listening to some heavy bass music.

Also, for the presentation of soundstage and instruments in classical music, sr1b has its own unique way to present it, which I feel its more natural and also realistic. However the texture and details are still not enough when it compares with 1266 tc.

Maybe its not good to compare it to 1266tc as the pricing is different and sr1b is recognized as a ear speaker rather than headphone.

I am still thinking, if sr1b change the cables to the new star8 and also changing the amp to interface cable, will that make a huge different to improve the above concern I have.

My 1266 tc is using vertere hb double run headphone cable which also costs a lot like around 3000usd. So maybe its not a good way to compare directly with sr1b and its original cable.

May I know whats your opinion for the users that listened to sr1a/b and 1266tc?

Thanks
I may have missed which amp you are using with the SR1b but if it is not the VM-1a then there are further improvements for you to hear. In my experience the VM-1a is a huge step up from all other SR1a amps, 2-channel and dedicated SR1a.

Aug 12, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #5,747 of 7,847
After listening to sr1b for 2 weeks, I am still struggling whether I should keep it or not.
For now, the details and the density of sound that sr1b gave me is still not on the same level as 1266 tc, however the imaging and the soundstage depth is better than 1266 tc to me.
Of course the bass as well, 1266 tc has a very good bass quality plus quantity. However, sr1b has enough bass if you are not listening to some heavy bass music.

Also, for the presentation of soundstage and instruments in classical music, sr1b has its own unique way to present it, which I feel its more natural and also realistic. However the texture and details are still not enough when it compares with 1266 tc.

Maybe its not good to compare it to 1266tc as the pricing is different and sr1b is recognized as a ear speaker rather than headphone.

I am still thinking, if sr1b change the cables to the new star8 and also changing the amp to interface cable, will that make a huge different to improve the above concern I have.

My 1266 tc is using vertere hb double run headphone cable which also costs a lot like around 3000usd. So maybe its not a good way to compare directly with sr1b and its original cable.

May I know whats your opinion for the users that listened to sr1a/b and 1266tc?

Thanks
I have both and the sr1a is more detailed than the abyss IMHO..obviously less bass presence...

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #5,748 of 7,847
I have both and the sr1a is more detailed than the abyss IMHO..obviously less bass presence...
I don’t know why my abyss tc has more details, maybe the burn in time is not enough?
Now is around 100hrs.

Also, I’m using speaker tap to the ti cable then to the interface which will make the sound degrade?

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #5,749 of 7,847
I may have missed which amp you are using with the SR1b but if it is not the VM-1a then there are further improvements for you to hear. In my experience the VM-1a is a huge step up from all other SR1a amps, 2-channel and dedicated SR1a.
I’m using Riviera Aic 10

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #5,750 of 7,847
Star8 cable will do nothing to elevate the bass on SR1.
It will improve the mid-range clarity, imaging and it will add to the general effortlessness, but it won't affect the bass.
It won't change the nature of the Open Baffle regime of operation and it certainly won't do anything that could be compared to Circumaural regime (of the TC or any other).

So, it's not about pricing, it's about how Circumaural headphones create the bass by sealing to your ear, while SR1 is unsealed, free air, Open Baffle.
Will star8 improve the texture and density of sound as well?

I understand what you mean by that, as it’s a open baffle design.

also, I tried the convolution filter, to me I found there is a bit of loosing details when I applied the filter, does anyone feel the same way?

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #5,751 of 7,847
Well, who knows if we're using the same terms to describe the sound...
It's really tough to answer questions like that correctly to the ears of others. Audio terminology is a mine field.

Even if we would be using the same "language", personal taste is what decides.

The best course of action would be to use our money back guarantee and try things for yourself. Try the Star8 once available.

For the moment, use the speaker output on the Riviera to drive both ITI XLR>TI-1a>SC2>SR1 and TC for more accurate comparison.
Also, to prevent any mistakes with implementing the Open Baffle correction, use the OB Comp. barrels at the Riviera's XLR input.
I know it is plug-unplug hassle with just one set of interconnects, but just for the sake of being sure in accurate comparison...

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Aug 13, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #5,753 of 7,847
I must once again give highest praise to the new CA-1a...hats off really enjoying them..both with the hsa-1b and my CFA3

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #5,754 of 7,847
Just curious if anyone has compared the Raal to the Stax Sigma Pro?

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #5,755 of 7,847
I must once again give highest praise to the new CA-1a...hats off really enjoying them..both with the hsa-1b and my CFA3
Can't wait to receive mine. It could probably be the one headphone to rule them all 👍🏼

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #5,757 of 7,847
very impressive HP...I have been really enjoying mine...if you like the sr1a you will like the new one

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #5,758 of 7,847
Is this an 'official' config?
It's a little hard to get the transition exactly right with Roon's limited view.
Seems close to what I got when trying to replicate the physical filters.
I measured them and they show as follows for those interested (note that the bandwidth shown below tests upto 100khz not 20khz):

1659708464200.png
Hi here are the same settings at a higher magnification - looks relatively close - any suggestions to improve welcome
7EE55C62-B44B-4E7D-B891-AA89AD44DD7C.jpeg

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #5,760 of 7,847
So when is RAAL going to update their web site? It's odd that Headamp has the CA-1a on their website, but those headphones are not on RAAL's own web site. And still no sign of the SR1b headphones.
Seems like they're busy dealing with all the pre orders from their dealers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back