Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #5,731 of 7,885
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #5,732 of 7,885
follow up for those interested, the cfa3 with the new HP's is outstanding...big sound deep bass for what it is...the hsa-1b has a more transparent sound I think but will listen more....I am however really liking what I hear...the Tl box really requires a lot of volume to properly drive it because it require more volume..I think I feel the same way about the Raal HP's that paradoxper does about the TC...although I love the abyss as well

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #5,733 of 7,885
You say when!

This is what he does. Users beware lol

follow up for those interested, the cfa3 with the new HP's is outstanding...big sound deep bass for what it is...the hsa-1b has a more transparent sound I think but will listen more....I am however really liking what I hear...the Tl box really requires a lot of volume to properly drive it because it require more volume..I think I feel the same way about the Raal HP's that paradoxper does about the TC...although I love the abyss as well

I was wondering how most people are using the CFA3 and Raals. Good to know. I need a new amp and might look at the CFA3 if it makes sense for ribbon phones as well. And also, the new headphones look pretty promising, thanks for the short impressions.

Aug 10, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #5,734 of 7,885
This is what he does. Users beware lol

I was wondering how most people are using the CFA3 and Raals. Good to know. I need a new amp and might look at the CFA3 if it makes sense for ribbon phones as well. And also, the new headphones look pretty promising, thanks for the short impressions.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:38 AM Post #5,735 of 7,885
I like my JR a lot with the CA-1a in the bedroom system. I was thinking of getting a second VM-1a, since that one is the best amp by far. However, it does not have an auto-shutoff feature so a SS amp is needed for my bedroom system (old man me falls asleep with the CA-1a on). I am really enjoying the JR so far and currently plan on sticking with it for a while.

I use the VM-1a with the SR1a. Though occasionally I use the CA-1a on the VM-1a (in Pentode Mode) for my Zeppelin fix.
Have you ever compared the HSA1-b vs Jot R ? How do you evaluate the VM-1a vs Jot R ? I have ascertained that leaving Jot R always on (as i can't wait for the tubes to heat up :):)) with a high quality power cable results in an amazingly good sound for the money with the SR1a. To my ears Jot R has more dynamic sound.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #5,736 of 7,885
Satisfaction guaranteed.
It’s the one amp to rule them all. Even more so with a 300B preamp 😁

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #5,737 of 7,885
Aug 10, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #5,738 of 7,885
Pulled the trigger today on the sr1b and ti-1a deluxe package 😱

We will see what we see...

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #5,739 of 7,885
Have you ever compared the HSA1-b vs Jot R ? How do you evaluate the VM-1a vs Jot R ? I have ascertained that leaving Jot R always on (as i can't wait for the tubes to heat up :):)) with a high quality power cable results in an amazingly good sound for the money with the SR1a. To my ears Jot R has more dynamic sound.

I had the HSA-1b for 2 weeks about 2 years ago. I liked it a lot though I never planned on buying it because I am a 2-channel guy and I wanted to try and make a 2-channel system work with the SR1a. I went though about 8 amps, 4 preamps, 4 or 5 DACs before I came across 1 or 2 combos of that gear that I thought was better than the HSA-1b. In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to just get the HSA-1b and use the appropriate gear for my 2-channel.

The very best combo of my 2-channel gear was a 9/10. The HSA-1b was a 8/10. The JR is a 7/10 (a bit generously). The VM-1a is a 10/10 and in the Spinal Tap scale, a 11/10.

The VM-1a is so perfect for my ears with both the SR1a and CA-1a that I sold my Thiel CS 3.7's a few weeks ago since I thought the older drivers on that speaker could not measure up to the SR1a. The Thiel CS3.7 is considered one of the best speakers ever made. I have a KEF LS50 META coming this week to replace the CS3.7 in my office. The reason being that the description of that speakers sound is similar to the SR1a's sound, clear, transparent, fast, etc... I will use that with the KEF KC62 sub.

Th SR1a, and maybe all headphones, do not have the scale of really big speakers so I have a longer range plan to setup a Livingroom system (KEF Blade 2 META) that is better than the SR1a and VM-1a. Though a lottery win will be needed to make that happen.

BTW - the tubes on the VM-1a seem to get up to speed very quickly

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #5,740 of 7,885
The SR1a, and maybe all headphones, do not have the scale of really big speakers so I have a longer range plan to setup a Livingroom system (KEF Blade 2 META) that is better than the SR1a and VM-1a. Though a lottery win will be needed to make that happen.
I have noted that (IMO of course) my SR-1a edges out the CA-1a for ultimate clarity, though I'm pretty happy with having both of them, due to the CA-1a being more versatile in deployment, haha.

But indeed the SR-1a still doesn't beat the best speakers, even with the problems that come with room interaction, for those who enjoy the "imaging presence" effects that come with them.

I gave up on finding the "perfect prebuilt" set and have been building my own speakers over the last few years. So far working pretty well, though I cheat by using DSP active crossovers.

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #5,741 of 7,885
After listening to sr1b for 2 weeks, I am still struggling whether I should keep it or not.
For now, the details and the density of sound that sr1b gave me is still not on the same level as 1266 tc, however the imaging and the soundstage depth is better than 1266 tc to me.
Of course the bass as well, 1266 tc has a very good bass quality plus quantity. However, sr1b has enough bass if you are not listening to some heavy bass music.

Also, for the presentation of soundstage and instruments in classical music, sr1b has its own unique way to present it, which I feel its more natural and also realistic. However the texture and details are still not enough when it compares with 1266 tc.

Maybe its not good to compare it to 1266tc as the pricing is different and sr1b is recognized as a ear speaker rather than headphone.

I am still thinking, if sr1b change the cables to the new star8 and also changing the amp to interface cable, will that make a huge different to improve the above concern I have.

My 1266 tc is using vertere hb double run headphone cable which also costs a lot like around 3000usd. So maybe its not a good way to compare directly with sr1b and its original cable.

May I know whats your opinion for the users that listened to sr1a/b and 1266tc?

Thanks

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #5,742 of 7,885
After listening to sr1b for 2 weeks, I am still struggling whether I should keep it or not.
For now, the details and the density of sound that sr1b gave me is still not on the same level as 1266 tc, however the imaging and the soundstage depth is better than 1266 tc to me.
Of course the bass as well, 1266 tc has a very good bass quality plus quantity. However, sr1b has enough bass if you are not listening to some heavy bass music.

Also, for the presentation of soundstage and instruments in classical music, sr1b has its own unique way to present it, which I feel its more natural and also realistic. However the texture and details are still not enough when it compares with 1266 tc.

Maybe its not good to compare it to 1266tc as the pricing is different and sr1b is recognized as a ear speaker rather than headphone.

I am still thinking, if sr1b change the cables to the new star8 and also changing the amp to interface cable, will that make a huge different to improve the above concern I have.

My 1266 tc is using vertere hb double run headphone cable which also costs a lot like around 3000usd. So maybe its not a good way to compare directly with sr1b and its original cable.

Thanks
I have SR1a and to me it’s still the king. To my ears and on my system, SR1a is more detailed and transparent with more natural timbre than TC. If I do a back to back listening between the TC and SR1a, the TC’s timbre usually sounds off. Mind you, I love the TC and it’s also excellent as it has its own strength (bass, fun and energetic sounding). At this level it all comes down to preferences.

On cables, I use the same cable for both TC and SR1a.

Aug 12, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #5,743 of 7,885

Thanks
Star8 cable will do nothing to elevate the bass on SR1.
It will improve the mid-range clarity, imaging and it will add to the general effortlessness, but it won't affect the bass.
It won't change the nature of the Open Baffle regime of operation and it certainly won't do anything that could be compared to Circumaural regime (of the TC or any other).

So, it's not about pricing, it's about how Circumaural headphones create the bass by sealing to your ear, while SR1 is unsealed, free air, Open Baffle.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Aug 12, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #5,744 of 7,885
I have noted that (IMO of course) my SR-1a edges out the CA-1a for ultimate clarity, though I'm pretty happy with having both of them, due to the CA-1a being more versatile in deployment, haha.

But indeed the SR-1a still doesn't beat the best speakers, even with the problems that come with room interaction, for those who enjoy the "imaging presence" effects that come with them.

I gave up on finding the "perfect prebuilt" set and have been building my own speakers over the last few years. So far working pretty well, though I cheat by using DSP active crossovers.
I love both the Sr1a and the TC but I keep listening more and more with the Sr1a. For me switching to the Studio Reference cable and the using the TI interface box made a huge difference. The level of detail, texture and soundstage of the SR1a especially for classical and accoustic/vocals is for me unique experience. But I also love the fun experience of the TC - I would upgrade the cables and keep both …

Aug 12, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #5,745 of 7,885

Thanks
I listen to my SR1a with the standard cable and to my 1266TC with the Superconductor cable. No matter what amplifier combination i try , SR1a always wins in terms of speed , focus and resolution. The realism in timbre you get out of the SR1a driver has no match to my ears. If you are not convinced yet about the superiority of the Raal drivers for your music preferences then you don't need to struggle . It should come natural otherwise you will always be thinking about whether you made the right move to keep it...just go with your gut feeling.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back