Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #5,716 of 7,885
what do you mean by the deeper section
wear them like you would the SR-1a, with the ear cups acting like the ribbons are fanning outward from the front to the rear. Or wear them so when you take them off your head and place them in front of you, so that the text is correctly oriented. Picture one is top view correctly oriented. Picture two is right cup. Back of cup is deeper and ribbon is fanned out from front to back.

Attachments

• A56AEC0F-F5E5-4174-9635-EE40258E9833.jpeg
    A56AEC0F-F5E5-4174-9635-EE40258E9833.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 7DFEA311-F8DB-46CF-A5D0-F6CBE4DF8857.jpeg
    7DFEA311-F8DB-46CF-A5D0-F6CBE4DF8857.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #5,717 of 7,885
If you look at the orientation of the ribbon on the side of the cup (or whatever it is called). You will notice that it is not centered. The part that has more distance to the end of the cup is the side that goes towards the back of the ear.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #5,718 of 7,885
some initial impressions..they are quite comfortable and easy to wear....I will say at the onset that I am a huge fan of the sr1a,in fact I have been a bit of an evangelist for the sr1a...I am using the hsa-1b with them both...the soundstage of the new one is different...it is more traditional in terms of side to side rather than the more speaker like presentation of the sr1a...I think the sr1a is still more detailed but it is close and I have to spend more time with the new ones...the big difference is the bass response...the new ones are certainly not bass heavy like the abyss for example but they are more like traditional HP's bass and the difference is very apparent and will appeal to those who liked the sr1a but shied away from it due to the lack of sub bass....what seems to have been achieved is a hybrid that combines the virtues of the sr1a and a traditional HP... I think in the HP world a 2500 dollar full in cost with the Tl box is extremely attractive...I do think they sound better with the hsa-1b but havent heard the tube amp version yet...more to come

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #5,719 of 7,885
wear them like you would the SR-1a, with the ear cups acting like the ribbons are fanning outward from the front to the rear. Or wear them so when you take them off your head and place them in front of you, so that the text is correctly oriented. Picture one is top view correctly oriented. Picture two is right cup. Back of cup is deeper and ribbon is fanned out from front to back.
thanks, turns out I was right to assume that the test should be able to be read properly for it to be on properly...thanks again

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #5,720 of 7,885
I've not seen a pair myself but I assume @yyzSB is referring to the thicker part of the pad.

I should think that the thicker side of the pad would be at the rear, i.e. on behind your ear. This would enable the driver to be angled more towards you, which helps improve staging. (Angled drivers are common on headphones with good staging, like the HD 800, for instance).

If you imagine the following to be a birds-eye view of your head, the drivers/headphones should be angled in, with the narrower end towards your face and the wider end towards the back of your head:

/ 0 \

It also looks as though the cups themselves angle drivers towards your ears, to judge from this photo:

RAAL-requisite-CA-1a-Circumaural-Ribbon-Headphones-2_1800x1800.webp

---

On a separate note to those reading this thread, I'm currently selling a Raal Requisite Studio Reference SR1028 cable. Please see my classified listing, if interested, and please feel free to PM me about it.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #5,721 of 7,885
I received my new ca1a today and am playing around with them ..I have one question that will make me sound like a complete nitwit...how do I know right from left in terms of wearing the HP?I am assuming I put it on so I can read the name properly on top but otherwise I see no R and L identifications
20220522_131713..jpg

The outside grille goes to the front.
Short headspring prong to the front, long to the back.
Thicker side of earpads goes towards the back.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #5,722 of 7,885
some initial impressions..they are quite comfortable and easy to wear....I will say at the onset that I am a huge fan of the sr1a,in fact I have been a bit of an evangelist for the sr1a...I am using the hsa-1b with them both...the soundstage of the new one is different...it is more traditional in terms of side to side rather than the more speaker like presentation of the sr1a...I think the sr1a is still more detailed but it is close and I have to spend more time with the new ones...the big difference is the bass response...the new ones are certainly not bass heavy like the abyss for example but they are more like traditional HP's bass and the difference is very apparent and will appeal to those who liked the sr1a but shied away from it due to the lack of sub bass....what seems to have been achieved is a hybrid that combines the virtues of the sr1a and a traditional HP... I think in the HP world a 2500 dollar full in cost with the Tl box is extremely attractive...I do think they sound better with the hsa-1b but havent heard the tube amp version yet...more to come
Have you tried them off the KG CFA3 yet? That's how I run them (16ohm) input.

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #5,724 of 7,885
Have you tried them off the KG CFA3 yet? That's how I run them (16ohm) input.
I have not as of yet...what is your impression?

Aug 9, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #5,725 of 7,885
I have not as of yet...what is your impression?
I'm not sure they can sound better for my preference, but I'm a @paradoxper disciple of the CFA3, so most everything sounds better with a CFA3 in the chain.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #5,726 of 7,885
I'm not sure they can sound better for my preference, but I'm a @paradoxper disciple of the CFA3, so most everything sounds better with a CFA3 in the chain.
Preach! I serve the people. Glad you're enjoying the gospel, I know jlbrach is smitten as am I.

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #5,727 of 7,885
yes he is the oracle when it comes to the cfa3 and we all bow down to him ..I will definitely give it a try I did however find with my sr1a that the cfa3 and other amps softened the sound somewhat

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #5,728 of 7,885
yes he is the oracle when it comes to the cfa3 and we all bow down to him ..I will definitely give it a try I did however find with my sr1a that the cfa3 and other amps softened the sound somewhat
You clear out your desk and we'll sort you with the uberamp. And a CFA hybrid and a nice tube pre. 🤣

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #5,729 of 7,885
perhaps one day my friend...never say never

Users who are viewing this thread

Back