Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Aug 19, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #5,761 of 7,885
Seems like they're busy dealing with all the pre orders from their dealers
I find it refreshing that Raal builds is focused on innovation building great headphones at a disruptive price point and great customer service - while at the same time having one of the worst Marketing :wink: - the web site is rarely updated, usually out of date … but as a loyal customer enjoying their products I personally like their priorities!

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:33 AM Post #5,762 of 7,885
Hi here are the same settings at a higher magnification - looks relatively close - any suggestions to improve welcome
7EE55C62-B44B-4E7D-B891-AA89AD44DD7C.jpeg
A little "dip" at 2k sweetens the upper midrange nicely, just -2 or -3 db with a Q of 1.Won't mess up the phase too much as long as you don't go overboard. I also put in a very gentle shelving filter above 8k just to add a little up top (but that may be my old ears...)

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #5,763 of 7,885
Aug 21, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #5,764 of 7,885
Anyone know will Burson Funk be powerful enough to drive CA1A through interface box? Or any recommended budget amp?

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #5,766 of 7,885
Aug 22, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #5,767 of 7,885
Anyone know will Burson Funk be powerful enough to drive CA1A through interface box? Or any recommended budget amp?
According to their website, it has 3.5W at 16Ω and 2.5 at 32Ω. Technically, it should be sufficient, however, I suggest you try it before you buy it. Smaller amps sometimes lack the thermal capabilities of sustaining their power rating, often due to minimal heatsinks. It may work for 10-minutes then shut down to allow cooling. Please give it a good test to be sure.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #5,769 of 7,885
Well I jsut got my sr1a. holy crap this thing is seriously impressive.

Im curious about trying it with a subwoofer
The SR1a is an amazing earspeaker. The bass is deceptive and a little EQ can make a big difference if you have the means (digitally or using an analogue eq device).

Several people have tried the subwoofer approach but it is difficult to really integrate such for a few reasons:
1. Positioning of a sub to minimise time/phase delays between transducers a few millimetres from your ears and one a few metres away is not easy
2. No sub is going to achieve the speed of transient attack that the ribbons can manage, so will sound "slower".
3. Filling your listening room with the lowest frequencies only may or may not represent domestic challenges?

It may be that you can overcome these issues, or consider them trivial compared to a lift in perceived bass, in which case "woohoo!"

Whatever it takes to get the best out of the Raals is worth pursuing for sure. I've heard no headphones I would take in their place and "better" two channel speakers are generally very expensive (and don't fit my living situation anyway).

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,770 of 7,885
Well I jsut got my sr1a. holy crap this thing is seriously impressive.

Im curious about trying it with a subwoofer
Glad you are enjoying! I've had several people mention subs with SR-1a and being very happy with the results. Haven't tried it myself so I don't have any firsthand tips for you. Perhaps, those who have done it will have some suggestions.

Aug 23, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #5,771 of 7,885
Glad you are enjoying! I've had several people mention subs with SR-1a and being very happy with the results. Haven't tried it myself so I don't have any firsthand tips for you. Perhaps, those who have done it will have some suggestions.

I've tried out a sub with the SR-1a and it worked well.

Without any compensation, depending on how far I was from the sub and which frequency I crossed over at, it could lead to a bit of lag in the bass region. To make it work "seamlessly", I'd cross over really low like 50 Hz or less, or time-align the headphones to have a bit of a delay relative to the sub.

EQ'ing with no sub got me most of the same results with a bit less crispness and low frequency response (esp below 30 hz), plus the caveat that you can't play too loud and get the powerful low frequency response.

The main benefit of the sub was crisper/louder low frequency response, but it was also kind of fun to get the "body-thump" effect that made you feel like you were surrounded by the sound.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #5,772 of 7,885
Get the CA-1a when you want that extra bass thump. I like the SR1a more but I am listening to the CA-1a much more than expected.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #5,773 of 7,885
I'm quite sure this question has been answered multiple times already, but this is a 385 page thread and it's difficult to know just what terms to use in the search function, but compared to traditional open back headphones (and I have no experience with other earspeaker types like the Sigma Pro, K1000, or Mysphere), how audible are the SR1's at say 10, 15, or 20 feet away (when listening at a comfortable volume)?

I'd also like to know given the new interface types, if one had a powerful enough headphone amp, monoblocks, dual mono speaker amp, or stereo speaker amp all within a similar price point (say $2,000 max, used or new) and level of quality, which amplifier type would be most ideal for the SR1's? I don't have much experience with speakers given how sound travels where I live (though my late father was a hi fi audio fanatic, but I was a child when his system was around), so forgive my ignorance.
Thank you.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #5,774 of 7,885
I would use a very powerful 2-channel amp if you had to do as opposed to the HSA-1a or VM-1a, Those 2 can beat 2-channel gear relatively easily. The Vm-1a I think beats all 2-channel, because no adapter box needed. I have tried a lot of 2 -channel gear. I will recommend 1 piece that is an integrated amp with a decent internal DAC, a great amp, and preamp. It also is ROON READY and low and behold this very unit was owned my me before I sold it.

I became friends with the guy who bought this unit and he now wants to sell it. It is great with the SR1a.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details...pc-integrated-with-internal-dac-option-black/

In fact, the KRELL XD line of amps are the best 2-channel amps I have heard with the SR1a. I have tried a lot of amps with the SR1a.

The cost is more than the $2K limit you wanted but it has a DAC, streamer, amp, and preamp and can drive many 2-channel speakers if the need arises.

Edit: The noise that leaks out of the SR1a is audible but it does not seem to wake the family up as I listen very late into the night.

Edit2: The Krell K-300i was my bedroom SR1a headphone amp for a while. I thought it was too much money for a bedroom system so I sold it and got the JR for the bedroom. I sold the K-300i to buy another KRELL XD amp for my 2-channel system.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #5,775 of 7,885
Get the CA-1a when you want that extra bass thump. I like the SR1a more but I am listening to the CA-1a much more than expected.
I also find myself listening more to the CA than the SR1A since I got them...may just be the new toy thing but I really like them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back