Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 1, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #991 of 7,847
I wanted every 5 degrees and that, with my solutions, always turns out too bulky.
My understanding of best listening angle is just a few mm away from ears, and even 5 degrees is too coarse for nailing that for every ear.
Another thing was that since this is a personal item, one would eventually find out what is his/hers best angle and keep them like that, as friction is strong enough to hold position.
Maybe in some future open baffle model, its too late to change now.

I hope you never go to a version where adjustments are made in preset increments. I like dialing things in, having flexibility in life, not being bound by others’ assumptions about what angles are best for me.

May 2, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #992 of 7,847
My only reason for suggesting clicks or presets on the speakers was to address my OCD concern about potentially having one driver at 30 deg and the other at (say) 40 deg. Not good! So anyway I used my protractor to cut out a cardboard wedge at exactly 30 degrees and now I'm happy! :)

Angles to one side now, I can't stop listening to my SR1a. After roughly 70 hours of gentle use and occasional pink noise they have really settled down and opened up nicely. I've never sat down for 2-3 hours at a time with headphones before, but these are so damn addictive.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #993 of 7,847
My only reason for suggesting clicks or presets on the speakers was to address my OCD concern about potentially having one driver at 30 deg and the other at (say) 40 deg. Not good! So anyway I used my protractor to cut out a cardboard wedge at exactly 30 degrees and now I'm happy! :)

Angles to one side now, I can't stop listening to my SR1a. After roughly 70 hours of gentle use and occasional pink noise they have really settled down and opened up nicely. I've never sat down for 2-3 hours at a time with headphones before, but these are so damn addictive.
I welcome your resourcefulness!
Glad that you find them addictive!

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 2, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #994 of 7,847
@Jerseyboy tick tock tick tock :alarm_clock:everyones waiting for your SR1A vs Shangri-La impressions... :writing_hand: :rolling_eyes:

May 2, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #995 of 7,847
Is the power requirement on these to drive them to a loud enough level or drive them well enough to sound good? I have a first watt J2 that powers my HE6 very well - Im thinking it might not have enough juice to power these - but is it because they dont get loud enough with not having enough power or is it just that they need more power to shine?

May 2, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #996 of 7,847
Is the power requirement on these to drive them to a loud enough level or drive them well enough to sound good? I have a first watt J2 that powers my HE6 very well - Im thinking it might not have enough juice to power these - but is it because they dont get loud enough with not having enough power or is it just that they need more power to shine?
I wrote some impressions though just based on about 30 minutes of listening here.

May 2, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #997 of 7,847

Adding to what @llamaluv said above, underpowered amps typically also don't have a robust enough power supply to keep up with the can's energy demand fluctuations.

I would not use a solid state amp less than 100 watts into 6 ohms to power these.

May 2, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #999 of 7,847
@Jerseyboy tick tock tick tock :alarm_clock:everyones waiting for your SR1A vs Shangri-La impressions... :writing_hand: :rolling_eyes:

I will be allowing the Shangri-La a little time to get used to its new home before comparing to the SR1a. I am also waiting for a pair of Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers to use as monoblocks to drive the SR1a, this should allow it to perform to its optimum so that a realistic comparison can be made.

May 2, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,000 of 7,847
Curious if I should just get 2x AHB2 or something better for that price would pop up. Some other options are the spectral dma 360, aavik u-150, one of the soulution amps, or moon 700i. or go cheaper for the anthem STR. I know the spectral setup has been recommended. So many options..

Last edited:
May 2, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #1,001 of 7,847
I wrote some impressions though just based on about 30 minutes of listening here.

Thanks for sharing these and it seems that the J2 doesnt cut it. What are you using now?

May 2, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #1,002 of 7,847
Thanks for sharing these and it seems that the J2 doesnt cut it. What are you using now?
A Pass Labs X150.8. My impressions here.

I had issues with it initially which I think were primarily related to burn-in. It opened up even more since I wrote the above. Equally compelling with the Susvara. But may prove to be prohibitively impractical as the summer months approach (because heat).

May 3, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,003 of 7,847
I will be allowing the Shangri-La a little time to get used to its new home before comparing to the SR1a. I am also waiting for a pair of Benchmark AHB2 amplifiers to use as monoblocks to drive the SR1a, this should allow it to perform to its optimum so that a realistic comparison can be made.

bloody hell the shangrila look so cheap...and cost $18k LOLOLOLOL.....

10284230.jpeg

May 3, 2019 at 4:32 AM Post #1,005 of 7,847
bloody hell the shangrila look so cheap...and cost $18k LOLOLOLOL.....

10284230.jpeg

"Why is it so expensive? Because it sound good.'' - Dr. Fang Bian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back