Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 1, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #976 of 7,847
I wouldn't be averse to angle presets, but only if it allowed for a fine enough level of adjustment, since even a difference of a couple degrees makes a important difference.

Too often in product development (and especially in software development, not that that applies here), user choice gets limited ruthlessly in the name of presenting a false sense of simplicity, and because it "tells a good story." Pet peeve of mine...

May 1, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #978 of 7,847
Today I have the whole system set up at home. Thanks for my dealer who lent me a Pureaudio integrated amp to try out the headphone. This amp is a Class A SS integrated amp and can master the SR1a very well.

I also try a number of ways to wear the headphone. To have the most 3D and the largest sound stage, wear the headphone with the vertical pad aligned just after the temple position and open the two speakers to around 40 degrees. You may have to turn the volume a bit louder.
I, too, have been experimenting with placement. The best position so far is to have the black cylindrical foam just touching the front part of the ear. Also, I have tightened the top piece of leather so that the headphone sits higher up, getting the center of the open part roughly even with my ear canal. I have the speakers about 30 degrees open.

I would find it helpful to have instructions or recommendations about placement either with the phones or on the web, just to know I am getting the most out the phones. Part of the adjustment challenge is that the phones sound very good even if not placed optimally.

For what it’s worth, I find the phones very comfortable and have zero complaints about the cosmetics.

May 1, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #979 of 7,847
Together. The two finest headphones on the planet IMO.

Epic battle! R-R SR1A vs Chifiman Shangri-La :right_facing_fist::left_facing_fist:WHO would win!?!? :scream:

3442361-1650407043-Armor.jpg

May 1, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #981 of 7,847
I, too, have been experimenting with placement. The best position so far is to have the black cylindrical foam just touching the front part of the ear. Also, I have tightened the top piece of leather so that the headphone sits higher up, getting the center of the open part roughly even with my ear canal. I have the speakers about 30 degrees open.

I would find it helpful to have instructions or recommendations about placement either with the phones or on the web, just to know I am getting the most out the phones. Part of the adjustment challenge is that the phones sound very good even if not placed optimally.

For what it’s worth, I find the phones very comfortable and have zero complaints about the cosmetics.
Agreed. The designer should have an idea on how the sound stage should be projected. My experience is that you will get a wider sound stage if you wear it more to the eyes, but then you need a higher volume to compensate.

May 1, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #983 of 7,847
OK noted, but AKG managed to design a locking mechanism for K1000 30 years ago. Maybe there is good mechanical / layout reasons why it works on K1000 but not SR1a, I don't know.
I wanted every 5 degrees and that, with my solutions, always turns out too bulky.
My understanding of best listening angle is just a few mm away from ears, and even 5 degrees is too coarse for nailing that for every ear.
Another thing was that since this is a personal item, one would eventually find out what is his/hers best angle and keep them like that, as friction is strong enough to hold position.
Maybe in some future open baffle model, its too late to change now.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 1, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #987 of 7,847
Agreed. The designer should have an idea on how the sound stage should be projected. My experience is that you will get a wider sound stage if you wear it more to the eyes, but then you need a higher volume to compensate.
Is there not the problem that everyone's headshape and pina, you know, the outer ear, might affect each person's regime of fitting them?

May 1, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #989 of 7,847
Is there not the problem that everyone's headshape and pina, you know, the outer ear, might affect each person's regime of fitting them?
I am not suggesting that there necessarily is one position that would work for all users or that the people who can afford these phones need a ton of hand-holding. I just think that adjusting these phones is complex. Most phones sit on or over the ears; not much guidance needed there. With these phones, there are at least four factors at work--the position on your head, the orientation of the phones (straight up and down versus somewhat tilted), the angle of the speakers, and the volume. If anyone--Raal Requisite or any user--has found things that work particularly well, I for one would find that information helpful, since I might not discover it myself or at least it would speed things up to know it in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back