1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by once, Oct 7, 2018.
First

Back
59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68
70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
Next

Last
  1. Seth Warshavsky
    I’m saying that both systems sound excellent with the SR1A. I am partial to the PS Audio DAC but there is not a substantial
    audible difference when you are playing flac files with the SR1A. This thread is about what works well with the SR1A and I think the key factor is amplification, switching your DAC will make a difference, but I think any high quality DAC will yield similar results.

Some people are like attack dogs on here. I’m just trying to suggest a 1400 usd solution that sounds amazing when everyone is going on and on about a million different amps. Honestly a single Vidar even sounds great being driven from a AK SP1000cu DAP.

The issue is the amplifier not your DAC.

So is the Directstream better than the Yiggy, of course. Does it matter for this application, not really.

S

2. dieslemat
    I think you just read my mind!
    Totally agree!

3. rsbrsvp
    Would a audio-gd HE-9 with 9dbc gain be able to power these headphones or not even close?

BreadMaster likes this.
  4. Seth Warshavsky
    I am not googling it but by memory the HE9 is a headphone amp the SR1A needs a speaker amp that outputs at least 100 better 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms, so you would need a different kind of amp for your SR1A. The most affordable and best sounding I have found is the Schiit Vidar 699 USD and you could use your HE9 as a preamp.

S

Zhanming057 and BreadMaster like this.
  5. rsbrsvp
    Do I need one of these amps or two?

6. biscottino
    excuse the question, you write many intresting things, why do you use 2 Schiit Vidar, I think in mono configuration, with only one example the power is not enough?
    I gave a reading on 6moons and this amplifier was recommended,

https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-up-nc500mb-1

it has a price much higher than the Vidar but in mono configuration, it would cost practically as much as 2 Vidar, do you have an idea how they can sound?

7. yates7592
    1 x Vidar will work, 2 x Vidar will sound better.

BreadMaster likes this.
  8. Seth Warshavsky
    One Vidar sounds very good. Two of them just has a lot more power.

Honestly, I would spend 700 USD buy one, you will love the sound.. and see if you want more power. If you do, spring for the second!

S

BreadMaster likes this.
  9. Jerseyboy

How do these compare with the Benchmark AHB2 which, I understand from earlier in this thread, was used as a reference amp in the development of the SR1a ?

BreadMaster likes this.
  10. Seth Warshavsky
    6moons is an audiophile publication with unlimited amplification at their disposal. They did not try the Vidar at all. I'm sure the amps they suggest sound incredible. I am simply stating out of the 20 or so amps I tested including the Bryston 3B3, that the Schiit Vidar sounded better in my (and my staff and many customers) opinion. This is both with a single Vidar and now with two Vidar in a monoblock configuration. I'm not sure why some people here are so eager to disbelieve. The Vidar is only 700 USD buy one and hear for yourself, you will not find a better value and it sounds better than amps almost 10x its price with the SR1A (it just happens to be a very good synergy, that happens some times). Schiit even has a 15-day return policy so if you don't like it just send it back, nothing to lose. So you can continue to doubt, or you can order one or two and try them and see how they really sound, and if you don't love them send them back within 15 days for a full refund.

Seems like a no brainer to me!

S

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    BreadMaster likes this.
  11. Seth Warshavsky
    They are fully refundable for 15 days, no one should need to ask anything else. It's simply a 700 or 1400 USD credit card charge.

Do yourself a favor and try them. After you do that, the rest of the thread makes sense.

S

joseph69 and BreadMaster like this.
  12. Seth Warshavsky
    You know what, I take it back there is a 5%-15% restocking fee depending on the condition of the return. So keep them like new, and the test will cost you 35 USD per Vidar.

S

BreadMaster likes this.
  13. Seth Warshavsky
    This I don't know, but I do know that it's very difficult to get the Benchmark amps currently.

BreadMaster likes this.
  14. Articnoise
    Someone is politely asking a relevant question about the two setups you have described and your remark is “some people are like attack dogs on here”. I find it uncalled for and especially from a MOT.

514077 likes this.
  15. Seth Warshavsky
    I already answered that the PS Audio Directstream is a better DAC, but in this situation the difference in the quality of the DAC was a fairly insignificant matter compared to the quality of the amplification (and the synergy of the amplification with the SR1A). I apologize if my response offended anyone, but I think everyone is questioning how things are possible, when I’ve explained a few times you can try this at your home for almost no cost.

I am member of the trade but I don’t have a commercial interest in representing any of these brands in this transaction, so I have no benefit of gain in what you buy or try. I’m just trying to give you a solution that allows you to try what I’m suggesting at no or very little cost to save yourself all these questions and potentially thousands or tens of thousands of dollars.

If my response was snippy, I apologize I do get offended as well. I’m simply trying to offer assistance that seems very rational and a no brainer to me.

S

Last edited: May 5, 2019
First

Back
59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68
70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79
Next

Last