R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #4,201 of 4,410
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 11, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #4,202 of 4,410
Sorry to hear that re: Music Teck. I've always had good response from them. I, too have this bizarre battery drain issue. I actually had my 1st R5, which I bought just after they were released, replaced by MT, as the battery began swelling and popped the back off. Since then I haven't used it as much but when I do the battery will drain very quickly, even when turned off. I turn the wifi and BT off also as I plug it into the car 3.5 mm socket. Mine has this odd behavior where it will turn on but when I push play on either UAPP or the Hiby app it shuts down immediately and reboots. I have to plug it in to any power source to get it to play but I can unplug the battery charger and it will work until or unless I shut it off again until the battery runs dead. Is anyone else having this shut-down behavior?

Btw, loved your AA comment-I can relate, on both levels.
What audio device / headphones do you have connected when this happens? If it's a particularly low impedance pair of earphones / headphones, it could be detecting a short by mistake. Try with some less... esoteric equipment to see if this may be the issue. Otherwise, I've been advised that this may also likely be a battery issue. :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 11, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #4,203 of 4,410
Ok thanks! I'm just worried the nugs.net app is configured for Android and probably does the resampling before android but I'll have to test that out.
Maybe I'll keep it anyway as a dap for the zmfs. But then I'd have to get my cable upgraded to use the balanced out.

I think since I was trying to use this mainly as a transport I should have been looking for a transport not a dap like the hiby. Although the appeal of being able to move around while listening to the zmfs is tempting me to keep it just for that.

I did more research and found out the bluos operating system that is used in the bluesound streamers has integrated nugs.net within the last couple years. I think that is the path I'm going to take as I could also replace my current transport(pi2aes) as long as it sounds up to par and is easy enough to use.

I was also wondering if an older iPhone might be a good solution for me, if they have bitperfect output through usb AND the nugs ios app is properly configured for bitperfect output. But the bluesound route sounds like they've configured the app for the Blueos(hopefully) and it should work without issue.

Sorry for the rant and all the help is very much appreciated. Just never thought it would be so hard to get bitperfect audio from a music streaming service without a computer and even with a computer it's a web browser stream so no exclusive audio and no automatic sample rate switching. Very frustrating. If only hiby would team up with nugs and work out the integration like they have with qobuz and tidal.
For what its worth, I just installed a BluOS system also. And yes, Nugs is an option with that. In my case, I point BluOS at my NAS, and integrate AmazonHD and Sirius XM on top of that. But I throw away all that digital goodness by sending the output in analog to my whole home audio system which in turn resamples everything for room audio correction. So no point in getting worked up over bitperfect in my scenario.

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #4,204 of 4,410
Can you possibly test if it is bitperfect on the nugs player for me please? They have a free 30 day trial for high res no strings attached. If you can play it natively and see what sample rate and bit depth is playing somehow in bluos. Make sure to click the lossless streaming button first. I'm worried even on Bluos the nugs app will still be limited to a certain level. Or permanently set like android.

I ended up going with the iPhone route afterall and hopefully it just works. If not bluos is the last resort.
Again sorry for the off topic bantering.

Well I will be selling the Hiby r5 saber as soon as it arrives for less than I bought it so I can get a quick easy and sale. Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy a near mint condition unit at a good price.

I also bought a cayin usb c to coaxial rca cable on a whim after buying the hiby.
Does this cable work with the hiby r5 saber?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #4,205 of 4,410
What audio device / headphones do you have connected when this happens? If it's a particularly low impedance pair of earphones / headphones, it could be detecting a short by mistake. Try with some less... esoteric equipment to see if this may be the issue. Otherwise, I've been advised that this may also likely be a battery issue. I'm plugging into a 3.5 mm cable to line in on my car head unit.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #4,206 of 4,410
Can you possibly test if it is bitperfect on the nugs player for me please? They have a free 30 day trial for high res no strings attached. If you can play it natively and see what sample rate and bit depth is playing somehow in bluos. Make sure to click the lossless streaming button first. I'm worried even on Bluos the nugs app will still be limited to a certain level. Or permanently set like android.

I ended up going with the iPhone route afterall and hopefully it just works. If not bluos is the last resort.
Again sorry for the off topic bantering.

Well I will be selling the Hiby r5 saber as soon as it arrives for less than I bought it so I can get a quick easy and sale. Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy a near mint condition unit at a good price.

I also bought a cayin usb c to coaxial rca cable on a whim after buying the hiby.
Does this cable work with the hiby r5 saber?
I presume some of this is aimed at me. I plan on trial testing nugs later this summer. Yes, I like jam bands also. I travel in Winter so I don't want to use my 30 days at this time. If you want to give me codes for your trial I could give it a shot. But TBH I don't know exactly what to look for on BluOS to test for bit accuracy. Anyway as you pointed out this is way off topic.

You may actually like the R5 so might want to try it out. I have the AKM chip so its not a completely fair comparison but I find it to be a very pleasant unit to listen with.

No idea on the coax cable. I used to fret about bit perfect and now I just focus on the music.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #4,207 of 4,410
What audio device / headphones do you have connected when this happens? If it's a particularly low impedance pair of earphones / headphones, it could be detecting a short by mistake. Try with some less... esoteric equipment to see if this may be the issue. Otherwise, I've been advised that this may also likely be a battery issue. I'm plugging into a 3.5 mm cable to line in on my car head unit.
This is exactly how I use my unit. 90% of the time it is connect to a car using line out.

When I do use it for IEMs it sounds great. When its not acting up of course. My IEMs are modest in their power requirements and are anything but esoteric. LZ A7 and FLC8D.

Sure hope the problem is just a failing battery.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #4,208 of 4,410
This is exactly how I use my unit. 90% of the time it is connect to a car using line out.

When I do use it for IEMs it sounds great. When its not acting up of course. My IEMs are modest in their power requirements and are anything but esoteric. LZ A7 and FLC8D.

It occurs using full size HP's and various IEM's as well. Today it shut off while playing at 70% battery power-didn't have it plugged into the power bank. First time it's shut off with that much battery power remaining.

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #4,209 of 4,410

If it's just a battery, replacing it should be quite simple. I may try that and see if it remedies these issues.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #4,212 of 4,410
Just purchased a second-hand R5S from a fellow Head-Fier a few weeks ago. Really loving this device. I owned the R3 Pro, but found the sound signature not to my taste. I definitely prefer the R5S over it.

I was perusing this thread for any info on screen protectors, but don't see much on here. I'm assuming there still isn't any viable tempered glass protector for a different device that works on these. Is there any good place to get factory replacements? I don't see them on Hiby's official site. I'm really just seeing a few aftermarket options on Amazon.

I was also curious if I missed a setting to swap the next/previous buttons. I remember that being a setting with one of my older DAPs. Not sure if that is an option on these devices or not.

Feb 1, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #4,213 of 4,410
Just purchased a second-hand R5S from a fellow Head-Fier a few weeks ago. Really loving this device. I owned the R3 Pro, but found the sound signature not to my taste. I definitely prefer the R5S over it.

I was perusing this thread for any info on screen protectors, but don't see much on here. I'm assuming there still isn't any viable tempered glass protector for a different device that works on these. Is there any good place to get factory replacements? I don't see them on Hiby's official site. I'm really just seeing a few aftermarket options on Amazon.

I was also curious if I missed a setting to swap the next/previous buttons. I remember that being a setting with one of my older DAPs. Not sure if that is an option on these devices or not.
My unit came with screen protectors so they exist. How to purchase those aftermarket is a good question. I would contact HiBy support.

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #4,214 of 4,410
FYI, the Amazon Music update today (22.1.0) has fixed high-resolution for the R5.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #4,215 of 4,410
@Joe Bloggs

I have a technical question for you if you don't mind. Is there a good reason why you can't find a DAP with system-wide PEQ (preferably 10 band). I generally like to add a bit of EQ for many of my IEM/headphones and want it on all of the time for every app/source (and preserve bitperfect/MQA). MSEB seems to do this, but I would rather have more control (and be able to load presets like AutoEQ). The convolution plugin sort of did this but only at a single sample rate (and it no longer works on R5 - immediate crash of the settings app).

It sounds simple, but maybe it's not. I would think there are quite a few people that would find this useful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back