R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 16, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #4,171 of 4,418
I presume you are referring to DS audio? I am experimenting with that now. I had to move all my files to "Homes" under music for the app to work.
Yes, you're exactly right.

I have my music on an external HD attached by USB, and the software is pointed at that. There's a lot of options in the settings, both in the app and the NAS operating system (I'm running on the newest DSM).

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #4,172 of 4,418
I just realised all my (.mp3) music files are being resampled to 48khz by deault on the hiby app; i think this is bad for my music isnt it ?
Also,is the resampling done for all files upon database scan even before i had listened to them or it does the actual resampling when the file is opened/played ?

Dec 19, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #4,174 of 4,418
What makes you think the music is being resampled? Keep in mind that most audio players will show MP3 files as having the same attributes as the original uncompressed file.
It shows as 48khz on the playing-as well as the file info-screen. moreover, it doesn't change (to 41khz) when trying to change it via settings. UAPP for example shows as 41khz and warns me in settings that quality may downgrade

Dec 19, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #4,175 of 4,418
R6 (2020) with the Crystal 6 iems are on sale at Hiby for $799. Choose the R6 page first or it will be $200 more expensive for some reason.

Dec 20, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #4,177 of 4,418
I have a Hiby R5 saber, and when I plug it in to my truck, it always plays my sd card tracks automatically, and I can’t use any other music app. Any help would be fantastic! Thanks!
Just to clarify. You are using the HiBy app and can't install anything else? I have the original R5 and had no problems installing UAPP. So I am not quite understanding this.

Or does your truck have its own playback electronics and is just using the R5 as a glorified bit bucket? If that is the case, that is a function of the truck electronics and would have nothing to do with the R5 really. In other words, in this scenario the R5 would behave the same as a USB storage stick and you might test this by in fact using a USB storage stick in the truck to see what happens. I keep a huge USB stick in my wife's car as it can play FLAC from the stick. That car only understands FAT and not ex-FAT so I had to format the large stick using a special utility.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #4,178 of 4,418
Just to clarify. You are using the HiBy app and can't install anything else? I have the original R5 and had no problems installing UAPP. So I am not quite understanding this.

Or does your truck have its own playback electronics and is just using the R5 as a glorified bit bucket? If that is the case, that is a function of the truck electronics and would have nothing to do with the R5 really. In other words, in this scenario the R5 would behave the same as a USB storage stick and you might test this by in fact using a USB storage stick in the truck to see what happens. I keep a huge USB stick in my wife's car as it can play FLAC from the stick. That car only understands FAT and not ex-FAT so I had to format the large stick using a special utility.
Actually, I’m not sure what app is playing music. I have uapp, but the music is coming from my sd card…. And I can’t shut it off. Even if I reboot it. It’s like the sd card is taking over the hiby! Thanks for the reply.

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #4,179 of 4,418
Actually, I’m not sure what app is playing music. I have uapp, but the music is coming from my sd card…. And I can’t shut it off. Even if I reboot it. It’s like the sd card is taking over the hiby! Thanks for the reply.
I think we need (or at least I need) a bit more detail about what is going on in order to help. What is plugged into what; and when? How do you listen to the music -- what is the control system? Exactly what can't be shut off? Did it ever work properly?

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #4,180 of 4,418
Yes, if you need revert to an older version, you will need to uninstall Amazon Music first and then side-load the older version from apk. Then don't allow Google Play to update automatically.

Amazon Music version 17.15.6 seems to be the last version that works with streaming at 24/192 (for the R5).

https://apkpure.com/amazon-music-discover-songs/com.amazon.mp3/download/517150610-APK?from=versions/version

I have been having power issues with my R5. So I figured I should update all my apps. Big mistake.

As discussed above, there is little doubt that the latest version of Amazon HD does not communicate properly with the R5. The Amazon app most definitely thinks the R5 can only go to 16 / 44 with the latest version.

If anybody runs into this issue, the version of the app linked above does work properly.

The bummer is that all your downloads will be gone when you uninstall the new, problematic Amazon HD app that is acting up.

HiBy, this is turning into something of a showstopper. Can you ask your tech team to look into this?

I think the new app introduced spatial audio and perhaps the components associated with that aren't interfacing properly with the R5 hardware.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #4,181 of 4,418
Hello.
I have a R5S with battery problems.
Before fillin an RMA and sending the unit back to Hiby in China, I would like to know if someone has faced the same issues. Maybe there is a solution not requiring to send the unit.

The device is alwais draining its battery (some 3%-5% per hour) event if its shut down, or in stand by. If I shut down the R5s it will at last full drain its battery. Accubattery app shows strange battery metrics (it tells my battery has now 8000+ mAh which its weird).
The battery doesn't seem to be swollen, as the back face of the unit is perfectly flat (I had a Galaxy S8 which the battery really swollen and can tell the difference).

Currently its not a HUGE problem because I mainly use the unit in my desktop connected to a charger (this is not the cause, as this battery behaviour with the unit appeared at the very beginning but I didn't gave too much importante). But, in some time I'll need to use it more in a portable manner, but as you can see, if the battery drains always, it will not be very usable.

Has anyone faced similar problems and found any kind of solution?

Thank you and best regards.

Dec 21, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #4,182 of 4,418
Hello.
I have a R5S with battery problems.
Before fillin an RMA and sending the unit back to Hiby in China, I would like to know if someone has faced the same issues. Maybe there is a solution not requiring to send the unit.

The device is alwais draining its battery (some 3%-5% per hour) event if its shut down, or in stand by. If I shut down the R5s it will at last full drain its battery. Accubattery app shows strange battery metrics (it tells my battery has now 8000+ mAh which its weird).
The battery doesn't seem to be swollen, as the back face of the unit is perfectly flat (I had a Galaxy S8 which the battery really swollen and can tell the difference).

Currently its not a HUGE problem because I mainly use the unit in my desktop connected to a charger (this is not the cause, as this battery behaviour with the unit appeared at the very beginning but I didn't gave too much importante). But, in some time I'll need to use it more in a portable manner, but as you can see, if the battery drains always, it will not be very usable.

Has anyone faced similar problems and found any kind of solution?

Thank you and best regards.
My battery issue is similar. There are threads on the HiBy Facebook site on similar matters. We both may have some runaway background apps. I am not sure exactly what to do about those however.

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4,183 of 4,418
You're right, I've seen the FB threads, but with no solution. Have you been able to solve it?

I thought about background apps, but at least Android says nothing more is running, and this happens even with the R5 fully shut off.

Dec 21, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #4,184 of 4,418
You're right, I've seen the FB threads, but with no solution. Have you been able to solve it?

I thought about background apps, but at least Android says nothing more is running, and this happens even with the R5 fully shut off.

Recently my R5 has been draining power like a person about to join AA enjoying their final swigs.

Is this possibly an issue with a runaway app or is that just a symptom of a dying battery?

Anybody done their own battery swap? There is a fixit site that advertises a battery for the unit.

Even though I purchased the unit from Musicteck and showed them my receipt, they declined to help me get servicing. They suggested contacting HiBy but I thought I would start here.

Must say Andrew at MusicTeck let me down on his non-response.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #4,185 of 4,418
Recently my R5 has been draining power like a person about to join AA enjoying their final swigs.

Is this possibly an issue with a runaway app or is that just a symptom of a dying battery?

Anybody done their own battery swap? There is a fixit site that advertises a battery for the unit.

Even though I purchased the unit from Musicteck and showed them my receipt, they declined to help me get servicing. They suggested contacting HiBy but I thought I would start here.

Must say Andrew at MusicTeck let me down on his non-response.
Sorry to hear that re: Music Teck. I've always had good response from them. I, too have this bizarre battery drain issue. I actually had my 1st R5, which I bought just after they were released, replaced by MT, as the battery began swelling and popped the back off. Since then I haven't used it as much but when I do the battery will drain very quickly, even when turned off. I turn the wifi and BT off also as I plug it into the car 3.5 mm socket. Mine has this odd behavior where it will turn on but when I push play on either UAPP or the Hiby app it shuts down immediately and reboots. I have to plug it in to any power source to get it to play but I can unplug the battery charger and it will work until or unless I shut it off again until the battery runs dead. Is anyone else having this shut-down behavior?

Btw, loved your AA comment-I can relate, on both levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back