R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 22, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #1,096 of 4,421
I have no idea what DTA is, but if it requires the app to be a system app and use ALSA, then it's a no.
This is what the dev of UAPP and he says that it cannot use the hi-res driver on the R5... anyone got any insights?

Oct 22, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,098 of 4,421
For anyone in the U.K. thinking about purchasing the R5 , I bought direct from Hiby, the delivery was 7 days and the tax was a lot less than expected. Really nice bit of kit and does exactly want I wanted from a new music player.
Amazon Unlimited works perfectly as does YouTube music. No problems loading music from PC and I'm useless when it comes to tech stuff.
Really pleased with it

Oct 22, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #1,099 of 4,421
This is what the dev of UAPP and he says that it cannot use the hi-res driver on the R5... anyone got any insights?

I think I edited this message after you read it to point out that this is to enable hi-res playback, *without activating the hi-res driver on UAPP*:

All you guys need to do to have UAPP play in high res (without enabling hi-res in UAPP) is
1. Go to Settings->Android Audio
2. Enable "Play through Android"
3. Set "Android sample rate" to "Variable".

In fact, UAPP is very instructive in this regard as to the benefits of HiBy DTA. It is simplicity itself for an Android app to throw unprocessed, unresampled audio at Android, expecting it to be resampled by Android's default crappy resampling, and have it be passed through directly to the DAC intact instead thanks to HiBy's engineering. Unfortunately, this is often not the default behaviour of apps, exactly because of the reputed crappiness of Android resampling of old. (it is actually very good on most phones these days, too, although fixed to one sample rate.)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 22, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,100 of 4,421
I think I edited this message after you read it to point out that this is to enable hi-res playback, *without activating the hi-res driver on UAPP*:
Thank you very much clarification. Davy's scepticism wasn't giving me much hope :D

Oct 22, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #1,102 of 4,421
Oct 23, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #1,108 of 4,421
Btw YouTube on the R5 sounds amazing, I heard this song on my phone and liked the groove, and I tried to find an album or song but it's too new so I was like wait I can hear it on r5. So much better! Great bass player btw and cute too. :wink:

20191023_103335.jpg

Oct 23, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,110 of 4,421
For anyone in the U.K. thinking about purchasing the R5 , I bought direct from Hiby, the delivery was 7 days and the tax was a lot less than expected. Really nice bit of kit and does exactly want I wanted from a new music player.
Amazon Unlimited works perfectly as does YouTube music. No problems loading music from PC and I'm useless when it comes to tech stuff.
Really pleased with it
It's more the hassle of returning if you get a dud or there's an issue. One thing to print off a label to return to amazon or amp 3 or whoever, it's another to return it to hong kong etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back