1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Tanelorn, Aug 8, 2019.
First

Back
62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82
Next

Last
  1. abitdeef
    Yes the dx220 got really warm, and it ran choppy. I returned it also, it wasn't for me. But I noticed whatever model of ibasso, they get rave sound reviews.

2. sechsterangriff
    Is anyone successfully using USB Audio Player Pro with HiRes Direct driver enabled??

3. DJ Core
    Don't think that will work.use regular driver. The whole Hiby Custom OS already bypasses regular android 8.1 audio shortcomings by providing a direct audio path to the DACs for all apps.even youtube sounds amazing on this DAP.

MAK1975 likes this.
  4. silverfishla
    Is there any audio lag with YouTube?

5. MAK1975
    I have tried the HiRes Direct driver in UAPP and it will play a couple of songs at native 24-bit 96KHz or 192KHz when streaming Qobuz (green indicator light works on the R5), but then by the 3rd HiRes song it will start to play with annoying constant pops and hiss. As DJ Core has pointed out it most likely has to do with Hiby's custom OS. Using the Regular Android driver in UAPP gives a max output of 44KHz, at least when streaming from Qobuz and Tidal. I have also found UAPP to be very unstable for me, probably due to enabling the HiRes Direct driver. It locks the R5 up and will not run properly. I end up having to reboot it. UAPP at this point is more of a hassle so I have uninstalled it. Since it only plays files at a max bit rate of 24-bit, 44KHz, I just end up using Qobuz, Tidal, or the Hiby Music app. Qobuz can play at native HiRes (96 & 192KHz) without any issues. Tidal plays at HiRes, but does does not yet do the full MQA unfolding. So not sure which actual resolution I get from Tidal. The light does show as green when I play a Masters track in Tidal, but not sure what bit rate I get. If anyone has gotten HiRes in UAPP to work properly let me know. For now I'm keeping it off my R5. It's a shame because it really is a good app. Just doesn't run properly on my R5. Streaming HiRes files shouldn't be difficult, but at this point there are still glitches. On the positive side with Qobuz, I can download HiRes tracks up to 24/192 and play them offline when I am not connected to WiFi. The app can be a little laggy and the UI isn't as nice as UAPP, but I love that it can stream and play offline files at full HiRes.

6. Joe Bloggs Contributor
    All you guys need to do to have UAPP play in high res (without enabling hi-res in UAPP) is
    1. Go to Settings->Android Audio
    2. Enable "Play through Android"
    3. Set "Android sample rate" to "Variable".

In fact, UAPP is very instructive in this regard as to the benefits of HiBy DTA. It is simplicity itself for an Android app to throw unprocessed, unresampled audio at Android, expecting it to be resampled by Android's default crappy resampling, and have it be passed through directly to the DAC intact instead thanks to HiBy's engineering. Unfortunately, this is often not the default behaviour of apps, exactly because of the reputed crappiness of Android resampling of old. (it is actually very good on most phones these days, too, although fixed to one sample rate.)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    superuser1 likes this.
  7. superuser1
    Have you tried asking on the UAPP thread?

8. rlw6534

Kudos for the full resolution Amazon HD. A portable player that supports both full bit rate Amazon HD and Tidal with MQA would be the holy grail. Hint, hint.

The media buttons on the R5 don't seem to work for me with Amazon HD like they do with Tidal, etc - am I doing something wrong?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  9. shiftywxm
    Any news on the r5 getting MQA?

10. Mouseman
    I've noticed the same thing with the media buttons -- it's a particular pain when I'm listening to it when I'm trying to fall asleep. It's odd, since every other music player program I've tried on the R5 works fine.

11. abitdeef
    It's definitely coming, they're just waiting on licensing or something with MQA.

shiftywxm likes this.
  12. Tanelorn
    Announced today:

Screenshot_20191017_210827.jpg

13. Tanelorn
    Are the buttons working with all the other apps?
    Only Amazon does not? How about the volume buttons?

14. abitdeef
    Well there you go:) I don't use tidal myself but hey it's good news and now dx160 no longer has that over r5. Just the superior sound cough, cough.

Lol I can't help myself.

superuser1 likes this.
  15. abitdeef
    The volume works, but the pause/play does not. BUT the bizarre thing is if I hit the forward and backward buttons it will start playing the next or previous track in hiby music whist in amazon music hd. Now figure that one out.

Buttons work correctly on every other music app I have- 'fiio and neutron'.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
First

Back
62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71
73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82
Next

Last