R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 24, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #1,127 of 4,418
I think what I like about this dap is the presentation is similar to the colorfly U8, as it's a more dense presentation that gives things intimacy, but still gives things a good sense of space when things call for it or things are panned.

Not quite as wide as some, but doesn't sound small or boxed in thanks to the good depth and imaging. Not quite as warm as the U8 though. I still think the U8 is the coolest small dap, but unfortunately I had lots of problems with it.

It's like a conundrum, it's dense and vocals sound forward, but if it's a classical piece it still has enough seperation and air to represent a huge sound space.

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #1,128 of 4,418
I think what I like about this dap is the presentation is similar to the colorfly U8, as it's a more dense presentation that gives things intimacy, but still gives things a good sense of space when things call for it or things are panned.

Not quite as wide as some, but doesn't sound small or boxed in thanks to the good depth and imaging. Not quite as warm as the U8 though. I still think the U8 is the coolest small dap, but unfortunately I had lots of problems with it.

It's like a conundrum, it's dense and vocals sound forward, but if it's a classical piece it still has enough seperation and air to represent a huge sound space.
How does On the Run from DSOTM sound on this?

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,129 of 4,418
How does On the Run from DSOTM sound on this?

Amazing, the footsteps, the panning, the gate announcements all sound like they should. Only thing I have going is a slight boost in the sub bass @ 30hz.

And the surround version is insane, I like the sacd copy though. It makes you look over your shoulder like a good dap does when the footsteps are running away before going into time :wink:

20191024_083353.jpg
20191024_083425.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,130 of 4,418
Worthwhile upgrade to the r6 (original) then? Must admit when I saw the r8 last night that did make me pause.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #1,131 of 4,418
I do agree the treble is less prominent than some other DAPs, most notably for me, the XDP-300R, and iBasso's. I actually think the treble level is good for me though and keep in mind many chinese and japanese brands boost up treble in a lot of their headphones and IEMs, and so having a DAP that can counter that is quite nice.

I've been using the R5 lately with qdc Anole VX and Fostex TR-X00 Ebony at work and really enjoying music. :)

Oct 24, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #1,132 of 4,418
Oct 24, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,133 of 4,418
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #1,134 of 4,418
Seems like you don't like treble from R5. :)
And i quote,
"Treble
This is the part that left some mixed feelings on me to be honest. The treble section is not transparent enough and it doesn’t have much detail which creates a deficient sound overall. For the price, the bass and mid sections are very good and especially the mid area deserves a praise, but the treble performance is not satisfying to my ears.

As I said, there is not much detail in the treble and highs sound thick without much extension. I think there should’ve been more sparkle and clarity in treble, which is a let down really, because this is a wonderful player for the price. I expected more from its treble to be honest, but even something like the Wavaya Penta, with its electrostatic treble drivers, doesn’t make up for it."

I would think that the FR of a DAP should be completely neutral (subject to correction) and the transducers (DD, BA,ES etc) colour the sound? But as it is mentioned that the elecro-static treble drivers didn't make up for it.. im confused!

EDIT: The reviewer also states that the DX120 has more bass response than the R5.. now thats something.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,135 of 4,418
This is why you just listen to the dap yourself, the wording/terminology on some of these reviews is borderline dumb. If you can't demo it, buy it from Amazon and if you don't like the sound, return it- amazon doesn't care they don't even check most of the returns, they get credit and sell the stuff as lots.

Thick treble? Missing information? How is missing information even possible if the dap measures flat with a test signal? And I'm sure it does. I can see a boost being applied in an area of the treble for added perceived resolution or air, or the metallic glare of the last generation of ess chips, but missing information makes no sense.

The treble sparkles and shimmers if the song or instrument calls for it. It's not recessed, it's very extended and natural. And I have warmer sounding iems and I'm still getting excellent treble quantity.

But don't take my word for it, listen to that crash cymbal in the beginning of Fleetwood mac's- you make loving fun. Or the ride cymbal in the beginning of dream theater's scarred. Both pass muster easily to my ears.

I'm saying this because the only opinion that counts is your own. And you will hear wildly different/conflicting views on how something sounds in reviews and even threads, it gets confusing. Who is right?

Doesn't matter, if your ears like it and the sound makes you tap your foot and the music moves you, you're golden:wink: I haven't heard a really 'bad' or deficient sounding dap. Even my sansa clip gave me tons of enjoyment, was it a technical powerhouse?

No, but it still sounded good. I go by features and aesthetics and usability pretty much now. Because chances are whatever I pick it will sound good.

Fini

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #1,137 of 4,418
This is why you just listen to the dap yourself, the wording/terminology on some of these reviews is borderline dumb. If you can't demo it, buy it from Amazon and if you don't like the sound, return it- amazon doesn't care they don't even check most of the returns, they get credit and sell the stuff as lots.

Thick treble? Missing information? How is missing information even possible if the dap measures flat with a test signal? And I'm sure it does. I can see a boost being applied in an area of the treble for added perceived resolution or air, or the metallic glare of the last generation of ess chips, but missing information makes no sense.

The treble sparkles and shimmers if the song or instrument calls for it. It's not recessed, it's very extended and natural. And I have warmer sounding iems and I'm still getting excellent treble quantity.

But don't take my word for it, listen to that crash cymbal in the beginning of Fleetwood mac's- you make loving fun. Or the ride cymbal in the beginning of dream theater's scarred. Both pass muster easily to my ears.

I'm saying this because the only opinion that counts is your own. And you will hear wildly different/conflicting views on how something sounds in reviews and even threads, it gets confusing. Who is right?

Doesn't matter, if your ears like it and the sound makes you tap your foot and the music moves you, you're golden:wink: I haven't heard a really 'bad' or deficient sounding dap. Even my sansa clip gave me tons of enjoyment, was it a technical powerhouse?

No, but it still sounded good. I go by features and aesthetics and usability pretty much now. Because chances are whatever I pick it will sound good.

Fini
I agree with you however unfortunately we dont have this device on amazon in India.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #1,138 of 4,418
I agree with you however unfortunately we dont have this device on amazon in India.

That sucks, nothing locally I take it. I guess you could order from hiby directly but then if the very rare chance you don't like it you'd have to pay to send it back.

You could always pony up more money and get the new Sony :wink:

I'm probably going to 'demo' that one and maybe the dx 160 after they're available on prime. But I do like this little sucker, and I've tried a ton of daps and so far this is my favorite. As a total package and functionality.

Oct 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #1,139 of 4,418
That sucks, nothing locally I take it. I guess you could order from hiby directly but then if the very rare chance you don't like it you'd have to pay to send it back.

You could always pony up more money and get the new Sony :wink:

I'm probably going to 'demo' that one and maybe the dx 160 after they're available on prime. But I do like this little sucker, and I've tried a ton of daps and so far this is my favorite. As a total package and functionality.

If Sony can't do Streamed music at correct bitrate its out for me. One of reasons I have an R5 coming today* otherwise I was tempted with a ZX500 but await reviews/feedback.

*Assuming Amazon turn up before my company closes!!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,140 of 4,418
If Sony can't do Streamed music at correct bitrate its out for me. One of reasons I have an R5 coming today* otherwise I was tempted with a ZX500 but await reviews/feedback.

*Assuming Amazon turn up before my company closes!!

Yes I heard that stuff was going to be down sampled by android on the zx500. I also don't know about Amazon HD service, I know that works on R5. I'd try the Sony and dx160 just out of curiosity.

The zx500 doesn't have me excited as the zx300 did and I had the dx220 and had some problems with it and personally didn't notice a difference in sound quality from the daps I was previously using m11 and wm1a.

Other than the dx220 having a bit tighter bass. I think you'll be pleased with r5, I'd be surprised if you weren't ha ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back