R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 23, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,111 of 4,409
Just ordered one from Amazon UK (Impulse buy)

Previously had an M11 and a ZX300 but wanted a small player that does streaming, bit perfect & MQA and be able to use UAPP.

People finding it good compared to the ones above? Been using a V30+ so hoping I notice an improvement over that. Seems to have better battery life comparable to the upcoming ZX500.

Will mostly be using with Shure SE846's over 4.4mm and have some Audeze Mobius that I will also try.

Like design from photos, bit like a ZX300. Was considering the ZX500 but not if it converts audio to Android 24/48 plus its double the price.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #1,112 of 4,409

Previously had an M11 and a ZX300 but wanted a small player that does streaming, bit perfect & MQA and be able to use UAPP.

People finding it good compared to the ones above? Been using a V30+ so hoping I notice an improvement over that. Seems to have better battery life comparable to the upcoming ZX500.

Will mostly be using with Shure SE846's over 4.4mm and have some Audeze Mobius that I will also try.

Like design from photos, bit like a ZX300. Was considering the ZX500 but not if it converts audio to Android 24/48 plus its double the price.

Didn't realise it was up on amazon uk. Been waiting for amp3. That is a decent price. Would be using sony wm3's and CA's fibae black and 2's with it if I got one. Main reason would be for a smaller size to carry round than the r6 I've got atm.

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #1,114 of 4,409
Bought mine off Amazon UK and got it the next day. I’ve moved from the Fiio M11 to the R5 and I’m very happy. I think it sounds better as it seems to power my iems better. The only thing I’m missing is the 2 memory card slots. The size is better for me as well.

Got a 512GB card which is plenty for my needs. Where is it with MQA ? Will it fully unfold ? I'm tight so just gone for free delivery :) Gone for the black.

Oct 23, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #1,115 of 4,409

Honestly I think you're going to love it, sound quality is as good or better than the m11 and zx300, I think it's better sounding than zx300 and the bass is more controlled than m11. The firmware and UI are pretty mature and smooth and everything works and the size is killer. The m11 UI is a bit faster and smoother though, but it's still very good as daps go.

Probably the best all around dap I've used lately. Interested to hear what you think.

Oct 23, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #1,116 of 4,409
So does it do MQA now for the double unfold for 24/192 ? My LG V30+ does.

Have a couple pair of SE846's one 3.5mm, other 4.4mm so can do direct comparison without having to keep swapping cables.

Much prefer 4.4mm balanced size to 2.5mm balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #1,118 of 4,409
Undergoing certification
257144122c34f64b.jpg

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 23, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #1,123 of 4,409
I'm pretty good with timbre and I find the highs of the R5 to be spot on. Plenty of natural splash and sparkle and accurate decay.

And I stood/sat next to a drummer for many years, so I know the sounds of various types of cymbals intimately.

I don't find any lack of information or lack of extension myself. It's not exaggerated or etched or too metallic, just right imo.

Oct 23, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #1,124 of 4,409
Yeah, definitely not trying to discredit the review, but I hear much nicer mids and treble than what was described. I also don't hear anything wrong with timbre at all, the R5 sounds very natural to me and thats something I enjoy.

I think the R5 goes almost toe to toe with the R6/Pro in terms of mids/treble, however, I do agree that the R6/Pro has much more extended/authoritative bass and better soundstage/imaging.

Also, from a usability perspective R5 is much better than R6Pro, but I think that was covered very well in the review as was everything else about the R5.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #1,125 of 4,409
Yeah, definitely not trying to discredit the review, but I hear much nicer mids and treble than what was described. I also don't hear anything wrong with timbre at all, the R5 sounds very natural to me and thats something I enjoy.

I think the R5 goes almost toe to toe with the R6/Pro in terms of mids/treble, however, I do agree that the R6/Pro has much more extended/authoritative bass and better soundstage/imaging.

Also, from a usability perspective R5 is much better than R6Pro, but I think that was covered very well in the review as was everything else about the R5.

I personally find the soundstage/imaging improves with hi gain. I usually run all my stuff on high gain and drop the volume back to what would be a comfortable listening level with low gain.

The bass is definitely on the neutral side, but with my somewhat bassy stuff it sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back