Quick: King of close back headphones still in production
Apr 4, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #211 of 243
Quote:
well if you havent heard them, how would you know? maybe the ultimate solution is an unamped v6, maybe amping it will cause it to lose purity 

okay, let me save us some time & just summarize the next few posts:
"no brah, the cd900st unamped sounds so much better than the v6."
"nooo, you're sillypoo. the cd900st is the same as the v6. posts random reference."
"nooo... they sound different yo! they are obviously two different headphones. posts another random source."

hahaha... this is all very extremely amusing, but kinda OT. I didn't say whether the v6/cd900st can be king or not, but it would be nice to hear about comparisons of them to the headphones that are currently being nominated to be king, so this thread progresses.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #212 of 243
The V6 is used in more studios than any of the nominees for King listed. Thus it is obviously the best headphone, brah.

Though I haven't heard the remaining nominees, from what I've read, both the V6 and CD900ST could hold their own against them if you were looking for neutral sound.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #213 of 243
The V6 is used in more studios than any of the nominees for King listed. Thus it is obviously the best headphone, brah.

Hojillions of pro-users can't be wrong, can they? :xf_eek:

...brah. :p

I also think the ATH-W series (at least the ones I've heard) are more or less fine unamped; the Kenwood are absolutely fine unamped, and iirc the T5p are designed to be run from portable devices (I haven't heard the T5p, I just vaguely remember that comment being made about them at release).

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #214 of 243
The T5p definitely sounded nice to me unamped. Then again, I generally suck at being able to hear if a headphone is being poorly amped.
redface.gif

Wait... Maybe that's a good thing?
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #215 of 243
Quote:

Though I haven't heard the remaining nominees, from what I've read, both the V6 and CD900ST could hold their own against them if you were looking for neutral sound.

hell yeah brah, i knew i was right on the money with the v6 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #216 of 243
I find that Edition 8 sounding digitalish and the d7100 IMO does not possess the same organic warmth it's predecessor has, so I personally don't like its sound signature but it isn't a bad headphone though( very dry sounding).

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #217 of 243
I find that Edition 8 sounding digitalish and the d7100 IMO does not possess the same organic warmth it's predecessor has, so I personally don't like its sound signature but it isn't a bad headphone though( very dry sounding).

Hey have you heard the d600? I heard it in best buy magnolia, the thing that impressed me the most was its bottomless bass

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #220 of 243
Quote:
I have seen the d600 going for 350 brand new. What part does the m100 do better than them?

The D600 are currently a steal. They got batched by a lot of people here on head-fi partly because of the price they came out at, but they have some of the best bass this side of $400. The mid's and high end (slightly rolled off to my ears) isn't bad either. They isolate well and are very comfortable. Amp them some, even though not needed, and they sound even better.
Btw, they can be had under $300 used or refurbished.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D600-ManiacTM-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00858I4F2

Apr 5, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #225 of 243
Haven't heard all of these, but I've gotta say the T5p is just ridiculously good IMO. Extreme clarity and detail, and bass extends very deep. Only problem is bass quantity is underwhelming... Fix that, and you'd have a damn near perfect SQ for a closed can.

As far as it being portable-- that seems to me to be more marketing semantics than anything. Ergonomically it isn't really portable, and it sounds MUCH better from good amplification, but it can be driven and not sound horrible from a mobile source. I compared it to the SigDJ and liked the T5p MUCH better. As always, IMO, YMMV, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back