Questyle QP2R
May 7, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #1,082 of 1,225
I am new to the Questyle/ QP2R club. I've been using an AK70 Mk II for a couple of years. The QP2R is quite a bit different. So far, I haven't used any IEMs other than my Trio with my QP2R. Compared to my AK70:

Bass is huge.
Midrange, especially vocals, are more forward.
Highs seem recessed and the magic sweetness I hear from the Trio treble may not be there any more. That is worrisome to me.
Instrument separation is uncanny.
Soundstage seems a bit wider.
Drivers are well controlled. I never thought I'd say that about an IEM, I figured that kind of talk was reserved for speakers.
My initial impression, based on just a couple of days is the SP2R is technical and the AK70 is musical. A gross simplification, I know. More later.
I like the three gain levels. I haven't heard any difference between high and standard bias yet.

I don't like that tracks are sorted by the file name (in my case Artist-Song Title), I would much prefer just song title. Did I read correctly the only way to work around this is to create a play list and then play that? I use my DAPs like juke boxes. I'll load a couple of hundred songs at a time and play them either randomly or just alphabetically by song title. I hated that about the Fiio player I had, too.

I really need a balanced cable, or 64Audio really needs to embrace MMCX.

So far, I'm in the camp that doesn't hate 2.5mm TRRS. In another thread I heard from a few people who use their portable gear on buses and subways and sometimes have their cable snagged, so they prefer the 4.4mm pentaconn.

What the heck is the "flip function"? I didn't see it in the manual.

I think it's great my Mac treats the SP2R like an external drive; my Mac does not recognize my AK70 (but it does recognize my A&K Jr, go figure). But why, oh why, is the transfer speed so darn slow? I get something like 5MB/s, but when I transfer to an SD card I get 25-50MB/s.

May 7, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,083 of 1,225
I am new to the Questyle/ QP2R club. I've been using an AK70 Mk II for a couple of years. The QP2R is quite a bit different. So far, I haven't used any IEMs other than my Trio with my QP2R. Compared to my AK70:

Bass is huge.
Midrange, especially vocals, are more forward.
Highs seem recessed and the magic sweetness I hear from the Trio treble may not be there any more. That is worrisome to me.
Instrument separation is uncanny.
Soundstage seems a bit wider.
Drivers are well controlled. I never thought I'd say that about an IEM, I figured that kind of talk was reserved for speakers.
My initial impression, based on just a couple of days is the SP2R is technical and the AK70 is musical. A gross simplification, I know. More later.
I like the three gain levels. I haven't heard any difference between high and standard bias yet.

I don't like that tracks are sorted by the file name (in my case Artist-Song Title), I would much prefer just song title. Did I read correctly the only way to work around this is to create a play list and then play that? I use my DAPs like juke boxes. I'll load a couple of hundred songs at a time and play them either randomly or just alphabetically by song title. I hated that about the Fiio player I had, too.

I really need a balanced cable, or 64Audio really needs to embrace MMCX.

So far, I'm in the camp that doesn't hate 2.5mm TRRS. In another thread I heard from a few people who use their portable gear on buses and subways and sometimes have their cable snagged, so they prefer the 4.4mm pentaconn.

What the heck is the "flip function"? I didn't see it in the manual.

I think it's great my Mac treats the SP2R like an external drive; my Mac does not recognize my AK70 (but it does recognize my A&K Jr, go figure). But why, oh why, is the transfer speed so darn slow? I get something like 5MB/s, but when I transfer to an SD card I get 25-50MB/s.
I highly recommend getting something like iFi's Earbuddy, or IEMatch. I use the UE Buffer Jack I got with the UERR for single ended and an iFi IEMatch 2.5 for balanced. It is quite possible that the QP2R is distorting your bass, as I don't think the stated output impedance is accurate for the whole frequency range, it's an average, which hides all the potential distorting points. On IEMs with low impedance in the bass, the bass will tend to be bigger and warmer on the QP2R, which can be corrected with one of the aforementioned devices. If looking for a balanced cable, I suggest that you don't go cheap. The best built and sounding cables I've worked with are Double Helix Cables. Their copper Symbiote cables will run you $239. If you are looking for similar build, but on a lower budget because they are made in Vietnam, check out Satin Cables, their Griffin cable is OCC copper with Type 4 litz (like Double Helix, with variable strand guage like Effect Audio) and is $109. Satin is blatantly copying Double Helix and Effect Audio, so I'm not really comfortable buying from them, but your budget will dictate what you do. There are loads of other cable manufacturers, these are two I know make 2.5mm connectors without collars, which enhances security. The rumours about 2.5mm being frail are true.

May 7, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #1,084 of 1,225
Does anyone know who to contact to get in fixed? Mine’s having issues, have emailed info@questyleaudio a few times to no avail. Any help appreciated.
That info email is useless. You'll need to talk to a dealer. In much of the world, there isn't one. I'm not even sure if they are sold in North America anymore. I think the company may have burned Bruce Ball, the person who has made them successful. I suggest that contacting them through social media (WeChat, Facebook, etc...) or calling the telephone number on their website is your best hope. Who knows if there is an English speaking person on the other end of the line. Buying from Questyle is a big risk for anyone outside of China right now. Searching for their products in search engines to 'shop' doesn't turn up dealers. I was all set to get the CMA12 and a QPM as review units and then everything fell apart: the distributors in Europe appeared to have stopped carrying them, and they stopped sending stock to North America. Everybody ran out of stock at about the same time. I still don't know what happened. Questyle make great audio gear, but they are not good at business, and are absolutely atrocious at communication.

Looking a little deeper, the Chinese website lists distributors and contact information. I'm not sure these are up to date, as I know that SCV Distribution in the UK liquidated their stock and no longer carry them.

This is the contact page on the Chinese website:
https://www.questyle.com/contact

Here is the information from their distributors page.
https://www.questyle.com/category/jingxiao

Authorized dealers

United States
QUESTYLE NORTH AMERICA

UK
SCV DISTRIBUTIONS

France
L'AUDIO DISTRIBUTION

Germany
NT Global Distribution GmbH

Netherlands
TERRASON AUDIO

Spain
NEOTECNICA

Poland
Horn Distribution SA

Netherlands
TERRASON AUDIO

Australia
AUDIO DYNAMICS Pty Ltd

New Zealand
DENCO AUDIO

Japan
S'NEXT

Korea
DIOPLUS / SORISHOP

NIC International Co. Ltd

Singapore & Indonesia & Brunei
Wired for World Pte Ltd

Thailand
CH MEDIA

Hong Kong, China
Thinking Group Limited

Taiwan, China
Thinking Group Limited

I can tell you that I looked at a number of the distributors, and finding someone who stocked Questyle was pretty hard. What stock there is appears to be old stock. Social Media is probably still your best bet.

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #1,085 of 1,225
That info email is useless. You'll need to talk to a dealer. In much of the world, there isn't one. I'm not even sure if they are sold in North America anymore. I think the company may have burned Bruce Ball, the person who has made them successful. I suggest that contacting them through social media (WeChat, Facebook, etc...) or calling the telephone number on their website is your best hope. Who knows if there is an English speaking person on the other end of the line. Buying from Questyle is a big risk for anyone outside of China right now. Their website no longer lists distributors, and searching for their products in search engines doesn't turn up dealers. I was all set to get the CMA12 and a QPM as review units and then everything fell apart: the distributor in Europe stopped carrying them, and they stopped sending stock to North America. Everybody ran out of stock at about the same time. I still don't know what happened. Questyle make great audio gear, but they are not good at business, and are absolutely atrocious at communication.

Looking a little deeper, the Chinese website lists distributors and contact information. I'm not sure these are up to date, as I know that SCV Distribution in the UK liquidated their stock and no longer carry them.

This is the contact page on the Chinese website:
https://www.questyle.com/contact

Here is the information from their distributors page.
https://www.questyle.com/category/jingxiao

Authorized dealers

United States
QUESTYLE NORTH AMERICA

UK
SCV DISTRIBUTIONS

France
L'AUDIO DISTRIBUTION

Germany
NT Global Distribution GmbH

Netherlands
TERRASON AUDIO

Spain
NEOTECNICA

Poland
Horn Distribution SA

Netherlands
TERRASON AUDIO

Australia
AUDIO DYNAMICS Pty Ltd

New Zealand
DENCO AUDIO

Japan
S'NEXT

Korea
DIOPLUS / SORISHOP

NIC International Co. Ltd

Singapore & Indonesia & Brunei
Wired for World Pte Ltd

Thailand
CH MEDIA

Hong Kong, China
Thinking Group Limited

Taiwan, China
Thinking Group Limited
The qp2r is a very nice sounding dap that competes with other top tier daps but the questyle costs less. The ui isn't amazing but I can cope with it. The main problem is the lack of support for it in the UK. If the support was there I would not doubt have bought the qpm as I suspect it sounds amazing

May 7, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #1,086 of 1,225
The qp2r is a very nice sounding dap that competes with other top tier daps but the questyle costs less. The ui isn't amazing but I can cope with it. The main problem is the lack of support for it in the UK. If the support was there I would not doubt have bought the qpm as I suspect it sounds amazing
I was ready to continue being their flagbearer with the QPM, but I've had to move on to the Cayin N6ii as my reference DAP. I'm using the E02 module and very much enjoying it.

May 7, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,087 of 1,225
I was ready to continue being their flagbearer with the QPM, but I've had to move on to the Cayin N6ii as my reference DAP. I'm using the E02 module and very much enjoying it.
I've been on a crazy dap buying adventure. Currently own n8, sp2k, lpgt, wm1z, qp2r, wm1a and n6ii. The n6ii with e02 is up there with the best. I shouldn't say this as I'll probably try and sell some of the others.

May 7, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #1,089 of 1,225

How does the N6II sound compared to the QP2R. I too was thinking about the QPM, but at this point I won't buy another Questyle dap again.

May 7, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #1,090 of 1,225
For what it's worth I listened to the QPM for an hour and half at Canjam London last year and I couldn't hear a difference between it and the QP2R using various high end headphones. If there are any differences they are small. I don't think the huge price increase is justified. Prefer the QPM colour though.

May 7, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #1,091 of 1,225
I've been on a crazy dap buying adventure. Currently own n8, sp2k, lpgt, wm1z, qp2r, wm1a and n6ii. The n6ii with e02 is up there with the best. I shouldn't say this as I'll probably try and sell some of the others.

Good to know you don't have to buy the most expensive to get the best sound (or very close to it). Is there any truth that the LPG is just the Lotoo 5000 model with gold in the circuitry and operating wheels?

May 7, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,094 of 1,225
I highly recommend getting something like iFi's Earbuddy, or IEMatch. I use the UE Buffer Jack I got with the UERR for single ended and an iFi IEMatch 2.5 for balanced. It is quite possible that the QP2R is distorting your bass, as I don't think the stated output impedance is accurate for the whole frequency range, it's an average, which hides all the potential distorting points. On IEMs with low impedance in the bass, the bass will tend to be bigger and warmer on the QP2R, which can be corrected with one of the aforementioned devices. If looking for a balanced cable, I suggest that you don't go cheap. The best built and sounding cables I've worked with are Double Helix Cables. Their copper Symbiote cables will run you $239. If you are looking for similar build, but on a lower budget because they are made in Vietnam, check out Satin Cables, their Griffin cable is OCC copper with Type 4 litz (like Double Helix, with variable strand guage like Effect Audio) and is $109. Satin is blatantly copying Double Helix and Effect Audio, so I'm not really comfortable buying from them, but your budget will dictate what you do. There are loads of other cable manufacturers, these are two I know make 2.5mm connectors without collars, which enhances security. The rumours about 2.5mm being frail are true.
Thank you for your recommendations, glassmonkey. I hope Questyle gets their act together, there is something in the sound of the QP2R that is compelling. I'd also like to see them make some slight changes to their UI, but I'll bet that's Quixotic.
[edit] I don't doubt 2.5mm connectors are not as strong as 3.5mm or 4.4mm, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I'll choose to hope it continues to not be a problem for me.
[edit] I may try the iFi. I don't know if "big bass" means distorted, or just big. Right now it's fun. I also find, especially with the balanced output, I listen at low enough volume (50% on low gain) I don't have any trouble with noise, hiss or otherwise. I'm sure the bass question will be answered as I go back-and-forth between my SP2R and AK70 and find which DAP I gravitate toward.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #1,095 of 1,225
The QP2R and Meze Rai Penta have quite good synergy to my ears. I just listened to "Acid Rain" by Riverside. Amazing with this pair.

I did a couple hours' A-B-ing between the QP2R and AK70 Mk II, both from the balanced output, using my 64Audio Trio. I was surprised the A&K had more low bass, but the SP2R had clearly superior detail retrieval. A couple of standout examples are "2049" from the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack, "Deeper Well" from Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball, and "Limelight" from Rush's Moving Pictures.

Mids, especially vocals, are very forward, to the point of shoutiness, and over-shadowing the treble with the QP2R. From the A&K mids and vocals were in better balance with the other two frequency ranges. "Deeper Well" was enlightening. The QP2R provided more detail in Emmylou's voice presenting more vibrato. However, her vocals were so forward they covered up a noticeable amount of treble detail. By comparison, Emmylou's voice through the A&K was smoother, less complex, but easier to listen to. The A&K also allowed more treble information to be heard with the mids.

Highs from the Trio with the Questyle are shelved down in level, and also more brittle sounding than with my A&K. In my comments about the Trio (which I really like), I've struggled to describe the treble (when using my A&K). "Sweet" is the best adjective I have found. Extended, detailed, never harsh or sibilant. Through the QP2R highs are sharper, harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back