Question on Phiaton MS 400s - tightening cup holder
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jwbrent

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a pair of these from a Head-Fier and other than a slightly forward midrange, I think they were a good purchase . . . for now. My question is on the retaining ring that holds the ear cup: one of the cups is very loose so that it just drops to a horizontal position when holding the MS 400s by its headband. The other cup stays in place having a bit more friction to keep it in place. This is a minor annoyance, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tighten the cup retaining ring.

I'm considering a pair of the P5s to see if I can get the sound that I do like from the MS 400s without the midrange forwardness. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated—I've not heard the P5s.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 5
The MS400s sound better than the P5s to my ears. More clear and detailed.

Anyway, my MS400s have the same issue, except with both ear cups going down into the horizontal position. I wouldn't know how to tighten it there - sorry I can't help you there but at least you know you're not the only one.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi Roma,

Nice to know this is a design issue, not a problem with my set.

I bought a digiZoid ZO² recently as well, and I think the midrange sound that was a problem may have been burn-in on the ZO². Listening to the setup after about 50 hours has tamed the forwardness in the midrange, not a lot, but enough where it isn't bothersome anymore.

I do like the MS 400s, but those P5s look sexy to me ...

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Yeah I can see what you mean. :) It's why I tried the P5s out also. The clamp was a little too much for me and i realized that at the time the P5s were not better all rounder than my HD25s.If it helps the P5s are definitely warmer and more laidback sounding than the MS400s.

Have you looked into the V-MODA M-80? They sound what you might be looking for and have amazing style to boot. The mids are not forward and are not recessed either - they are liquidy and smooth, very natural to my ears. The M-80s are also the most comfortable supra-aural I have ever had.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm a glutton for design, even at the expense of performance at times. Probably not a typical head-fier, but if I want emotional realism, I have a home system to provide that. For me, portable hifi is a means to listen to music in a non-critical way.

I'll have to check out the M-80s since the midrange on the MS 400s is, on occasion, still hurting my ears. Or I may just spring for a pair of P5s ...

Thanks for your comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back