Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Oct 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #481 of 883
  Hello,

i just ordered now a SR-009. I have here for my Lambdas a SRM-T1S amp with new tubes and new caps. Is this amp good enought with the SR-009 or must i buy a other stax amp?

I had serveral stax amps in the past (like 006t, T1, SRM1MK2, SRM-323II/S) but the T1S is for me the best stax amp for the Lambda models and i will doesnt sell it
frown.gif

Thanks!

I would say at a bare minimum for these truly outstanding headphones, a KGSS would be what I'd recommend. I previously owned the SRM727II and found them slower and a bit too syrupy with that amp. As well, I certainly wasn't a fan of the LL MK1 either. If you can snag KGSSHV then jump on it ASAP! Of the ones you've listed, the SRM-323II. For tube options, the BHSE or mighty T-2 (if you can find / build one).

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #482 of 883

I would say at a bare minimum for these truly outstanding headphones, a KGSS would be what I'd recommend. I previously owned the SRM727II and found them slower and a bit too syrupy with that amp. As well, I certainly wasn't a fan of the LF LLMk1 either. If you can snag KGSSHV then jump on it ASAP! Of the ones you've listed, the SRM-323II. For tube options, the BHSE or mighty T-2 (if you can find / build one).

Fixed it for ya, presumably that's what you meant.

I had the LL Mk2 with me for about a week and coming from the 727A, I quite liked the LL Mk2 with the SR-009. But I've never experienced any other 3rd party Stax amps (i.e. no WES, BHSE, Electra, nor KGSSHV although I'm supposed to be building one).

[OT]
Rather strangely, I think I actually prefer the 727A over the LL Mk2 with the 007Mk1. But that's another topic/thread.
[/OT]

Oct 29, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #483 of 883

Fixed it for ya, presumably that's what you meant.

I had the LL Mk2 with me for about a week and coming from the 727A, I quite liked the LL Mk2 with the SR-009. But I've never experienced any other 3rd party Stax amps (i.e. no WES, BHSE, Electra, nor KGSSHV although I'm supposed to be building one).

[OT]
Rather strangely, I think I actually prefer the 727A over the LL Mk2 with the 007Mk1. But that's another topic/thread.
[/OT]

True, I haven't yet heard the LLMK2. My nomenclature is LL and LLMK2. Since before the MK2, there was just the LL.

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #484 of 883
  True, I haven't yet heard the LLMK2. My nomenclature is LL and LLMK2. Since before the MK2, there was just the LL.

Actually the fix was you wrote LF :wink:, not LL. So it wasn't about the Mk1/Mk2 suffixes.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #486 of 883
hello everyone I'm new in this the forum and I would like to take profit from your experience and your council. I bought a Stax SR-009, now I’m going to buy the ideal amplifier for them. I'm almost decided on the Woo Audio WES. The other option is the Blue Hawaii but it seems to have a very long delay to get them.  My third option is the solid state for Stax Cavalli. Currently I have a Stax SRM 006tII with which I operate a Stax 404 sygnature and I will use it also for the 009 until the moment I decide what amp to buy following your opinion. I listen to all kinds of music, pop, rock, jazz, classical, etc. My question is: what is the best option for a Stax SR-009? Woo Audio WES, Blue Hawaii, Cavalli? is there any other option that you recommend? Thank you very much to all.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #488 of 883
  hello everyone I'm new in this the forum and I would like to take profit from your experience and your council. I bought a Stax SR-009, now I’m going to buy the ideal amplifier for them. I'm almost decided on the Woo Audio WES. The other option is the Blue Hawaii but it seems to have a very long delay to get them.  My third option is the solid state for Stax Cavalli. Currently I have a Stax SRM 006tII with which I operate a Stax 404 sygnature and I will use it also for the 009 until the moment I decide what amp to buy following your opinion. I listen to all kinds of music, pop, rock, jazz, classical, etc. My question is: what is the best option for a Stax SR-009? Woo Audio WES, Blue Hawaii, Cavalli? is there any other option that you recommend? Thank you very much to all.

Seriously, I'd recommend the BHSE or KGSSHV (if you can find a reputable builder). 

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #489 of 883
Thank you for your tips. I don't have the possibility of hearing amplifiers since I live in Canary Islands (Spain), this is why I ask you opinion in this forum because of all those that I have visited this seems to me the more professional.

I have heard that the bhse is a great amplifier but that there is a waiting list very long and they can take months or years to get it.  building an amplifier here in the village, is not a very good idea, we know a lot about bananas but not too much in electronics :wink:

My first choice of Woo Audio WES is due to articles that I have read and above all: the brand managers have seemed to me very serious. in your opinion: what are the reasons that you have not to choose it?

for now my options are as follows:

BHSE seems to be the best choice but it has a lengthy waiting list, and a long time waiting to get it. Do you think that is worth?

Woo Audio WES: I like his seriousness, but don't know their defects.

Cavalli: I do not know virtues or defects, an advantage: solid state with which decreases the risk of breakage of lamps..

Kkevin Gilmore: I do not know virtues or defects.

Dear folks, I ask you a little patience with me but you are the only ones that  can guide me on a very important purchase. Taking into account where I live, and the options named above what would be your opinion once more? And what are the reasons for not choosing WES de Woo Audio? Thanks a lot for your so important helping opinion

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #490 of 883
I was considering the Electra before I found someone very nice to build me a KGSSHV. The waiting time for the Electra isn't that long and it's less expensive than the other two.

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #491 of 883
BHSE seems to be the best choice but it has a lengthy waiting list, and a long time waiting to get it. Do you think that is worth?

I understand that with the BHSE, the current batch will be ready for shipping very soon. Although they are presently all spoken for, I understand that there are usually some small number of cancellations. If you really would like the BHSE, the best advice would be to contact Justin at Headamp to see if you could be put in line for any potential cancellation. If you don't end up getting one because one does not become available, and you don't want to wait a year or more, then go ahead and buy something else you are interested in. And to be clear, I have not heard any of the amps you are considering, so can't help you there, but I would recommend you make some effort before discounting the BHSE option.

EdIt: I have only heard, apart from some Stax-branded amps, the KGSS, KGSSHV and DIY-T2, so cannot provide any advice on the options you are considering.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #492 of 883
I have a BHSE aswell as the SR-009's, and the other amps I've heard with my 009's are, LL , SRM-007t and the SRM717. At the time I heard the LL it was along with my BHSE and to what I can recall ( when I heard them both together was about 18months ago ) the SQ from the two was very similar. Build quality wise though, IMO the BHSE is in a completely different league.
Both the BHSE and LL sounded better than the two Stax amps driving my 009's, but out of the two Stax amps I thought the SRM-717 sounded better than the SRM-007t, however, a friend of mine which owns the LL and owned the 007t + 717, has also heard the Stax SRM -727 with his 009's, and thought his 009's sounded best with the 727 out of the Stax amps.
As you know there's a possible long wait time for the BHSE, so if you don't want to do that and you're only looking for SQ and aren't bothered about build quality, then IMO the LL would be a good choice, if I was in your position and I didn't want to gamble at the wait for the BHSE, I'd go for the SRM-727.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #493 of 883
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #494 of 883
Nov 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #495 of 883
It really depends if you want a SS or Tube based amplifier and how much you want to spend.  The 009 is much easier to drive than the earlier Omega and Omega II's so imo you don't need loads of power.
The Stax 323s is a very respectable unit and you should give it a listen much cheaper than the 7 series amps.
Also the KGSSHV are a good match and i'm sure you should be able to find someone who would be willing to build it for you, but likely to cost more than a typical Stax amp

If you like a somewhat *tubey sound" then the Woo Audio WES is probably a good option. However; I don't think it has the clarity and attack of the Headamp BHSE. The build quality of the Headamp and attention to detail are top notch and worth waiting for but at a price, especially when you cost in the import duty and VAT. The taxes also need to be considered for the Woo option too as in the UK these would easily add 25% to the purchase price.
One of my favourite amps from the vintage stax range is the SRMT1 or T1S. With good quality tubes I much prefer it to the current crop of STAX amps with my 009's
I see you already have a Stax SRM 006tII? So what do you think you are missing by using this for your 009's?

If I were you I would try and get a listen to some of your alternatives perhaps at a headphone meet or someone local to you on head-fi before shelling out several thousand dollars. The further you go up the price range the difference can be quite subtle. "The law of diminishing returns" 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
  Thank you for your tips. I don't have the possibility of hearing amplifiers since I live in Canary Islands (Spain), this is why I ask you opinion in this forum because of all those that I have visited this seems to me the more professional.

I have heard that the bhse is a great amplifier but that there is a waiting list very long and they can take months or years to get it.  building an amplifier here in the village, is not a very good idea, we know a lot about bananas but not too much in electronics :wink:

My first choice of Woo Audio WES is due to articles that I have read and above all: the brand managers have seemed to me very serious. in your opinion: what are the reasons that you have not to choose it?

for now my options are as follows:

Woo Audio WES: I like his seriousness, but don't know their defects.

Cavalli: I do not know virtues or defects, an advantage: solid state with which decreases the risk of breakage of lamps..

Kkevin Gilmore: I do not know virtues or defects.

Dear folks, I ask you a little patience with me but you are the only ones that  can guide me on a very important purchase. Taking into account where I live, and the options named above what would be your opinion once more? And what are the reasons for not choosing WES de Woo Audio? Thanks a lot for your so important helping opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back