Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
Nov 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #496 of 883
I have a BHSE aswell as the SR-009's, and the other amps I've heard with my 009's are, LL , SRM-007t and the SRM717. At the time I heard the LL it was along with my BHSE and to what I can recall ( when I heard them both together was about 18months ago ) the SQ from the two was very similar. Build quality wise though, IMO the BHSE is in a completely different league.
Both the BHSE and LL sounded better than the two Stax amps driving my 009's, but out of the two Stax amps I thought the SRM-717 sounded better than the SRM-007t, however, a friend of mine which owns the LL and owned the 007t + 717, has also heard the Stax SRM -727 with his 009's, and thought his 009's sounded best with the 727 out of the Stax amps.
As you know there's a possible long wait time for the BHSE, so if you don't want to do that and you're only looking for SQ and aren't bothered about build quality, then IMO the LL would be a good choice, if I was in your position and I didn't want to gamble at the wait for the BHSE, I'd go for the SRM-727.

I would say that the differences between the KGSSHV and LLMK1 was quite vast (i.e. the LL didn't fair very well):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681729/comparisons-of-the-liquid-lightning-and-kgsshv-solid-state-stax-amplifiers

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #497 of 883
I would say that the differences between the KGSSHV and LLMK1 was quite vast (i.e. the LL didn't fair very well):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/681729/comparisons-of-the-liquid-lightning-and-kgsshv-solid-state-stax-amplifiers

When I heard my BHSE and IanG's LL together, both amps hadn't been warmed up. I don't know what the LL sounds like after it's warmed up, but the SQ from the BHSE sounds quite a lot better when warm, it sounds amazing from cold, just better warmed up.
More importantly though, when I heard my BHSE and Ian's LL, I was using my K -01. IMO that source will improve any amp or headphone, and I also feel the reason why the BHSE and LL sounded very similar the time I heard them, was because of the K-01.
To prove me wrong though, all anyone has to do is listen to both amps at the same time with a K-01.

P.S. I don't really like to mention anything about my K-01, but there are times when I feel I have to.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #498 of 883
Well you don't need to feel embarrassed about mentioning your K01 many of us have been down that route already and decided the sound is not for them!
I've tried the mega upsampling digital and to me it sounds rather artificial, strained and homogeneous. Perhaps this might explain why the LL and BHSE sounded similar?  I'm firmly in the NOS camp these days like the Metrum or Audio Note which don't have that digital glare and sound more like music to my ears, given its a decent recording in the first place! 

Quote:
When I heard my BHSE and IanG's LL together, both amps hadn't been warmed up. I don't know what the LL sounds like after it's warmed up, but the SQ from the BHSE sounds quite a lot better when warm, it sounds amazing from cold, just better warmed up.
More importantly though, when I heard my BHSE and Ian's LL, I was using my K -01. IMO that source will improve any amp or headphone, and I also feel the reason why the BHSE and LL sounded very similar the time I heard them, was because of the K-01.
To prove me wrong though, all anyone has to do is listen to both amps at the same time with a K-01.

P.S. I don't really like to mention anything about my K-01, but there are times when I feel I have to.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #500 of 883
Thank you all, your information is gold for a neophyte like me. Complin your recommendations are the largest approaching my needs so I focus in a reply

The difference in sound between solid state and vacuum lamps, I have always believed that the solid state takes a more aggressive sound than the vacuum tubes that would be warmer,  is that correct? At least for me the priority is sound quality.

In terms of cost I'm willing to pay up to $ 5,000 if the unit  worth it.
Quant the KGSSHV I do not know it but from what I could understand in the forum should be a kitt "manufacture it yourself," and if you could not find a good manufacturer, is an optional that I prefer to keep standby.

As for my SRM 006tII I thought to use it with the 009 while I wait for the new device but I do not know if it is enough to get a good performance. For now it behaves very well with my stax sr-404 sygnature but I thought that the 006tII was not enougth for 009.

Finally what are the defects  on WES Woo Audio? Why no one recommmended it anymore?

And to conclude, I understand, dear Complin, the best option seems to be BHSE
as recommended by many veterans of the forum. For me the option to hear the different devices on a meeting is very difficult. So, if you were in my case and wanted the best amp for 009 and also had to blindly buy,  would be the best option for you too the BHSE?

Thank you all for your invaluable help, especially Complin that has given me so many skills to make the decision. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #501 of 883
I went to an head-fi meeting in the UK with my BHSE and 009's, and the source I took and used with them was my iPod.
Some that listened to my 009 / BHSE were surprised to see I was using an iPod because they were very impressed with the SQ.
So while I think the SQ from my 009 / BHSE using my main source sounds remarkable, if the 009 / BHSE sound very good from using an iPod, to me it proves just how good the BHSE is.
SQ wasn't the only reason I got my main source though.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #502 of 883
I went to an head-fi meeting in the UK with my BHSE and 009's, and the source I took and used with them was my iPod.
Some that listened to my 009 / BHSE were surprised to see I was using an iPod because they were very impressed with the SQ.
So while I think the SQ from my 009 / BHSE using my main source sounds remarkable, if the 009 / BHSE sound very good from using an iPod, to me it proves just how good the BHSE is.
SQ wasn't the only reason I got my main source though.

Thank you very much David1961, it's a good argument to choose. Anyway by the silence after my last post I suspect that I could be a little awkward, hope I have not exhausted the patience of my fellow forum, excuse me if I've been annoying. I just needed to gather all possible information before starting the investment. Finally I think I'll decide by the BHSE though I don't know the difference between DACT stepped attenuator or the Alps RK50 volume control. can someone explain me the difference? Thank you all again.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #503 of 883
The 009 / BHSE does sound very good, but not with all the songs in my collection. Because of that I wouldn't say the 009's are the prefect headphones with the BHSE. IMO the BHSE is not at fault here though because I've heard the SR-007mk1's with that amp.
I had a pair of 007mk1's which I got in 2000, but let them go before I got the BHSE and I'm still regretting I did that.
The amp I had along with the SR-007's was the SRM-007t, and I felt that amp didn't drive those headphones very well, which is why at the time it didn't bother me letting both go. The BHSE is a completely different amp though.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #504 of 883
David, ever got a chance to try another source, a ladder / nos dac for instance? I wouldn't be surprised the bhse/009 is just letting it all come through and the k01 isn't the most suitable source to mask sub-par recordings (even though esoteric got better with their latest generation dacs).

As always, we shouldn't shoot the messenger. Or I like to say: can't have the cake and eat it.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #505 of 883
David, ever got a chance to try another source, a ladder / nos dac for instance? I wouldn't be surprised the bhse/009 is just letting it all come through and the k01 isn't the most suitable source to mask sub-par recordings (even though esoteric got better with their latest generation dacs).

As always, we shouldn't shoot the messenger. Or I like to say: can't have the cake and eat it.

Only my iPod arnaud, but I use my HD-600 / GS-Xmk2 with the K-01 and have no such problem like I have with the 009 / BHSE, ( only with certain songs though ). I also heard the 007mk1's with my BHSE using the K-01, and again no problem.
With the 009's, BHSE and K-01 IMO all being extremely detailed, they probably aren't suited to be used as a combo, but if I was to get rid of any of the three, it would be the 009's.
However I won't be doing that because since putting the new headband on, I really like the look of them, but more importantly I wouldn't have the spare money to buy anymore stats headphones for quite along time.

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #506 of 883
David, we can keep playing the source vs. headphone argument all day long without resolving anything but if I may recommend: don't hesitate to sample other players in the same price range as the k01 before you decide to get rid of the 009.

I say this from recent personal experience with such a source: TotalDAC D1 ( there's a silver version BTW :wink: ). It brought so much more to my rig than swapping from my 727 amp to higher end model (which shall remain unnamed but suffice to say, it's considered as high caliber stat amp by some).

So today, when considering the priorities in terms of gear upstream of the 009, I will confidently say you're better off spending 10k on the source (not all 10kusd sources are great mind you) and 2k on the amp than the other way around.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #508 of 883
David, we can keep playing the source vs. headphone argument all day long without resolving anything but if I may recommend: don't hesitate to sample other players in the same price range as the k01 before you decide to get rid of the 009.

I say this from recent personal experience with such a source: TotalDAC D1 ( there's a silver version BTW :wink: ). It brought so much more to my rig than swapping from my 727 amp to higher end model (which shall remain unnamed but suffice to say, it's considered as high caliber stat amp by some).

So today, when considering the priorities in terms of gear upstream of the 009, I will confidently say you're better off spending 10k on the source (not all 10kusd sources are great mind you) and 2k on the amp than the other way around.

As I said, I wouldn't have the spare money to buy anymore headphones for quite sometime, that also includes any audio equipment, but even if I did, I lost quite a lot of money with my previous headphone setup, ( which is to be expected I know ) so I'm not keen on doing that again.
Please remember though, there are some that don't like the 009's, and some have even sold the ones they had, and as I said, when using my HD-600 / GS-Xmk2 with the K-01, all the songs I listen to do sound very good.
I have some UM Miracles which I sometimes use with my GS-X / K-01, and those CIEM's sound amazing with the GS-X / K-01.
To me both my HD-600's and Miracles don't sound as detailed and transparent as the 009's, but IMO that's what the problem might be with those Stax headphones.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #509 of 883
  Finally what are the defects  on WES Woo Audio? Why no one recommmended it anymore?

Haven't heard it, but the Woo GES seems to be the more well-regarded design by people who know far more about amps than me.

Also, not sure if you've already searched around, but there are a few multi-amp reviews out there.  Tyll's review is here:  http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/listening-great-headphone-amplifiers-and-stax-sr-900

AVguide also did a few reviews, although they aren't highly-regarded:

http://www.avguide.com/review/woo-audio-wes-electrostatic-amplifier-playback-54
http://www.avguide.com/review/cavali-audio-liquid-lightning-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier-playback-60
http://www.avguide.com/review/headamp-blue-hawaii-se-electrostatic-headphone-amplifier-playback-56

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #510 of 883
I'd like to say that when I ordered the BHSE ( March 2011 ) I still had the SR-007mk1's, so the BHSE was originally for those headphones, however because I was so disappointed with how those 007's sounded driven by the SRM-007t , I got rid of them both at the same time. I then panic bought the 009's at the back end of December 2011 after hearing about Stax being sold to a Chinese company, but I didn't receive the BHSE until June 2012, so I obviously didn't get to hear the 009's with the BHSE until then. I also didn't get to hear the 007'mk1's ( head-fier IanG's headphones ) with the BHSE until around July 2012.
The point I'm getting at is, in hindsight I'd have never got the 009's, and never have let the SR-007mk1's go, however, the time I had the 007mk1 / SRM-007t, the source I had was the Esoteric x03se not the K-01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back